It's official - 228 is no more :-(

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I only know a little bit about Grady White boats and have never owned one. That being said, the 228 Seafarer sounds like the perfect boat for me and even put an offer down on one in another thread before that deal went south. I live in the Seattle area and the 228 with having a decent sized cabin, hardtop covering over the cockpit area and a good deal of fishing space checks off everything on my check list. That, and I love the idea of a fully enclosed transom with a 2' offshore bracket on the back. My previous boat was a 21' Arima and it worked decently for the Puget Sound, which is very well protected when compared to the open ocean. That being said, the wind will oftentimes pick up during a tide change giving you 1-2' chop all the way back to our cabin, and in a very lightweight Arima with a modified Vee... it's not a very fun or comfortable ride. On top of that, Arima's are a very wet boat. Where you stand inside the boat is essentially at the water level and is more like a tugboat just plowing through the water and makes it an uncomfortable, wet ride when there is chop and wind. I did like that the boat had a skip top on it so you were always protected from the rain/sun and that it was rather light and had a Honda 130 on it. It would do 35mph at top speed and the motor had no issues, with absolutely minimal maintenance needed. That being said, I'll pay more for a better boat like a GW 228 Seafarer over an Arima any day of the week.

I also think the 228 is kind of the "middle boat" in it's class and probably doesn't sell as well as the 208, which is considerably less, while the 232 I'm thinking also probably is more practical with a 9'3" beam and twin motors. It's a shame though because it's a gorgeous boat and they're getting increasingly difficult to find for a decent price and in decent condition. I do see way more 208's and 232's for sale, maybe that means the owners aren't happy with their purchase like the 228 owners are? Up here, a DC/CC boat doesn't make much sense in my opinion as you can't sleep on it, you don't have as much room for storage and it makes it a much wetter boat and not as protected from the elements. I also hope the 228 makes a comeback. I don't see why it wouldn't at some point as they'll still have the fiberglass molds to make the boat... unless they plan on selling the company?

Last edited:

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I am a native Floridian. I would say 90% of my saltwater time is spent between Port Canaveral and the Florida Keys. I actually see a number of 228s in the Keys. I think, and I am biased here , that the 228 is an ideal Keys boat. It's not hot and boy when those tropical rains kick up I am hellavu lot drier than any 22-25 foot center console.

I had a 192. we made a second aft Bimini for it. You realize when you have kids how valuable shade and cover is. The 228 has a huge cockpit for fishing and it has a big boat feel yet easy to trailer. I guess what I need to do is really keep her up . one a nice one will command a better price and two if I keep her up and keep her it will be a hard to replace boat .

I ordered some OEM parts like the gas strut supporting the live well lid , like it was $75 or so and new wiper arm and blades. Nancy at Seeles Outboard in Charleston is my official parts lady. my advice to fellow 228 owners is to do as much as possible keeping your boats as good as shape as possible and don't chinse out on cheap after market parts .

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
So I asked if they were moving away from walk arounds and here is what Gwen said:

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 01:07:35PM +0000, Gwen Edwards wrote:
No, we are not moving away from the walkarounds. We decided to drop
the 228 because it was not selling as much as other boats in our line.
It is hard to justify keeping parts on hand, molds in good shape and
ready to go into production and people trained for a boat they do not
build every week.

I'm guess the $30K extra for the 228 pushed people towards the 208. It's a bummer because the 228 is a great crabbing boat, the 208 would be miserable.

Whatever, it is what it is. Just makes our 228s that much more valuable.

Reactions: Alweidner and JJMag

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I only know a little bit about Grady White boats and have never owned one. That being said, the 228 Seafarer sounds like the perfect boat for me and even put an offer down on one in another thread before that deal went south. I live in the Seattle area and the 228 with having a decent sized cabin, hardtop covering over the cockpit area and a good deal of fishing space checks off everything on my check list.

I've looked at moving up by you, Seattle or maybe the San Juans or Vancouver Island. The upside is the island protects all that water, I've seen 1@2, 2@3, crazy flat ocean. I've also seen cold, cold, cold. Way more cold than when we fish in the winter down here. The 228 is the perfect boat for your waters, nice warm helm. Well, sort of warm, you guys have to deal with more cold than I do.

billyttpd

Reaction score
I referenced in an earlier thread an article in Fisherman Magazine about a "possible secret Grady project" in their 2021 boat line up issue. I am obviously just speculating here but if their really is a "secret project" could it be a walk around based on the new 21 hull?? A 21' walkaround with the 8"6" beam could be a very viable replacement for the Seafarer. I own an Adventure and like it but kick myself for passing on a preowned Seafarer before I bought my Adventure. The 222 Fisherman was dropped shortly after the 230 Fisherman was introduced. Maybe they didn't want three (208 228 and I guess it could be a 218) very similar boats in the line up....if a 21 Walkaround is in the works and coming soon.....time will tell.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think just about any boat will have its uses as well as pro's and con's. When I buy just about anything, and especially a boat, I want something that's versatile and has multiple different uses. Something you can sleep in, fish/crab/shrimp in, something that you can store all of your gear in, will keep you dry and out of the sun/elements, something you can cruise in, gets decent fuel economy and is a comfortable ride. I think the 228, at least from everyone that I've heard or talked to, checks off all of those boxes. I think a center console or dual console is great for those that only want to cruise or fish in nice weather and don't have to worry about the rain, staying overnight or for the weekend and don't have a ton of extra gear. Imo, and I'm probably very biased, a walk around is much more versatile in that you can do all of those things in it, and more. I always have wondered about the beam choice for the 228 though being an only an 8' beam as opposed to the 232 Gulfstream that has a 9'3" beam. I wonder if moving up to an 8'6" beam would be more beneficial as my old 21' Arima had an 8' beam as well?

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
We used to have a '86 Glastron 216, walk around bought new and it looks just like the 220 Bimini. It was a great boat but after thirty years between engine issues and the boat itself we needed to make a change. Got an '02 228 five years ago and the and there is no comparison. The 228 is more seaworthy and the boat workmanship is a giant step up for us. Only downside is if there was any engine issues offshore like hooking on to a crab pot I would not know what to do to except to have a stronger boat hook. With the Glastron that would be easy to cut the line.

Sturg.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I always have wondered about the beam choice for the 228 though being an only an 8' beam as opposed to the 232 Gulfstream that has a 9'3" beam. I wonder if moving up to an 8'6" beam would be more beneficial as my old 21' Arima had an 8' beam as well?
The wider the boat the more it hurts when you smack the water, or so I've been told.

Reactions: PointedRose

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The cat's meow would be a similar length\width boat with elevated forward seating that can be used under way, that allows for cabin room below. The challenge is getting all the dimensions to work without an offensive compromise in performance, function, or asthetics. If only I had several weeks of free time with a 3d cad program!

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
The cat's meow would be a similar length\width boat with elevated forward seating that can be used under way, that allows for cabin room below. The challenge is getting all the dimensions to work without an offensive compromise in performance, function, or asthetics. If only I had several weeks of free time with a 3d cad program!
I don't think that's doable because the forward seating would be right in your line of sight forward.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Different style boat, but it's doable! There's a cabin below!

image.jpeg

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My only real complaint with the 228 is the beam. just 4 or 6 inches mid ship would make the companion way nicer to maneiver through without getting my shirt snagged on the arm rests of the pompanet captains chairs . lol. My other complaint it's not a Marlin. lol.

I wish they could have adjusted the helm station e box to accomdate flush mounting better than modifying the entire thing which many here do.

UCPA111

Reaction score
Wow...my 1984 will be a collector's edition? :)
Having come from a line of boats growing up: 22' well craft. 25' Tiara. 34' Luhrs.....I love the Seafarer. Perfect to trailer. Huge cockpit for a 22' boat. Efficient. Fast. I am tickled with it.
It can take a lot of water...not going to give you the ride of a 14,000# boat but will get you home. Love the bow flare and how it throws water away from the boat. Very stable on a 1-2mph troll in 2-3 chop. No problem. I really enjoy having the hard top and curtains here on Lake Erie.

I know GW is reacting to the market. It is what it is. I really like the Freeman cats....I follow Nick Stanczyk and what a beast that boat is. But then....no bathroom? No place to hide? It works for him....but for me the Seafarer and the walk arounds offer lots of things...yes there are compromises. But....cabin...for kids or changing or storage. Nice helm and protected areas. Ease of getting to the bow. Huge cockpit. I run 10 lines trolling with no problems. 3 fish on....no issues.

Thank you Grady White for making this model!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I don't think that's doable because the forward seating would be right in your line of sight forward.
does anyone really want to sit up there in a 30 knot wind & spray?

There are CCs with cabin..Canyon models...only they have NO deck space...ridiculous seating forward....woman-ized fishing machine...sadness:(

old Contender CCs with the walk around cabin and a coffin fish box and foot room and toekick for fishing around the boat...actual deck space between the helm and motors!!!!:p

Or get an Express and stay dry and comfortable;) My old Wellcraft V20 cuddy with a hardtop and enclosure was like a 20ft Express

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Different style boat, but it's doable! There's a cabin below!

View attachment 20378
HAHAHAHA everybody has their dream and thats great. If you see me with one of those, please put a bullet in my head because I've lost it...

that said...it has a surprisingly fishable bow:cool:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
HAHAHAHA everybody has their dream and thats great. If you see me with one of those, please put a bullet in my head because I've lost it...

that said...it has a surprisingly fishable bow:cool:
Different strokes for different folks. There's actually a big market for boats like that (that one has OB's, too).

"Fishable bow"... Good one! :)

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I can see that. I've been debating selling mine for a center or dual console. Can fish the bow with a trolling motor

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I can see that. I've been debating selling mine for a center or dual console. Can fish the bow with a trolling motor
When my kids were little they would fish the bow of the 228. in fact when we go fishing for yellow tail and anchor up we still do. now , when we troll and get a dolphin or tuna we have never walked a fish around . one, we keep the boat moving and if the fish makes a run to either side we turn the boat to keep it on back end so the fish doesn't get too far forward. I have some friends with an express 330 and they never fish the bow and yet they bring in the bounty.

In big 30 plus foot center consoles those boats have a lot of aft cockpit room. Put a 22 foot center console ,any make , next to a 228 and the 228 has in my opinion , much more useable fishable space especially behind the helm. I have rented a few 20-22foot center consoles and they just don't stack up to the cockpit space of a 228. So while the market research might suggest that's what people buy ,I tend to think maybe it's the salesman driving it too. They push the center console and my gut is the dealers aren't ordering the 228 so if you don't have it on the floor to compare to other boats ,then you really can't sell it through a catalogue . It's a chicken and egg thing I suppose. Then again maybe dealers did order and they sat?

I still don't get the notion walkarounds are some how hot boats especially in Florida. The cabin especially at anchor or tied to a mooring ball is great resting place out of the sun. I would rather chill in there than on the bow baking like a shrimp on the barbie. Also, when trolling my crew will pop the hatch and lay down until they hear the drag zip. If you are moving at 5 knots that's a lot of moving air in the cabin. It's shaded and comfortable to lay down .

The problem Grady had is they didn't have 228 owners like us selling the boats . lol.. we all could list and tell stories About why we love the walk around over , especially, the center console. There are many advantages to that boat's design.

Reactions: efx

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not that further evidence was needed, but 228 is now gone from the website :(

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I can understand why it would be discontinued, it is not a family friendly boat and the cabin is basically useless except for storage. I had one and loved fishing on it but when I took my wife out she hated it, seats where not comfortable and the little jump seats didn't work for her. The dual console with seating up front and the lounge seat is more what she wanted. Now that I am in Florida we are looking at boats, always thought I wanted a Marlin but now I think more of a CC or DC is in the cards.

Reactions: PointedRose