It's official - 228 is no more :-(

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Think it all depends on what your “boss” wants. Mine does not like the open bow and no place to get out of the sun. She wakes up at 530am to be another adult on the boat when I fish with a 7 and 4 year old but immediately goes into the cuddy and sleeps for a few hours. Then enjoys the boat after relaxing for a bit.

Now, if I move up, she wants those bench seats on the 282 as she can kick her feet up, enjoy the water and still be out of the hot summer Sun.

We plan to overnight in the future so the cuddy is a must.

Each their own...

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I can understand why it would be discontinued, it is not a family friendly boat and the cabin is basically useless except for storage. I had one and loved fishing on it but when I took my wife out she hated it, seats where not comfortable and the little jump seats didn't work for her. The dual console with seating up front and the lounge seat is more what she wanted. Now that I am in Florida we are looking at boats, always thought I wanted a Marlin but now I think more of a CC or DC is in the cards.
And yet they kept the 208 which is a 2 foot smaller cockpit but otherwise the same boat, same seats, same cabin. I don't get that other than it is $30K cheaper and maybe sells more. I paid the extra $30K and am happy that I did. Fishing is the primary use for my 228 and it is a fishing machine.

Reactions: PointedRose

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Think it all depends on what your “boss” wants. Mine does not like the open bow and no place to get out of the sun. She wakes up at 530am to be another adult on the boat when I fish with a 7 and 4 year old but immediately goes into the cuddy and sleeps for a few hours. Then enjoys the boat after relaxing for a bit.

Now, if I move up, she wants those bench seats on the 282 as she can kick her feet up, enjoy the water and still be out of the hot summer Sun.

We plan to overnight in the future so the cuddy is a must.

Each their own...
Amazing how that happens. LOL.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I think it is more of a climate thing than a boss thing. If I were in a warm climate, like Texas or Florida, I'd be in a Fisherman 236. But where I live it is frequently 50ish and that is where that big helm shines. If you are running 50 miles offshore to chase tuna, you don't really want to be exposed to 50 degree wind for 2+ hours.

And I'm in Santa Cruz, CA. The guys up in Washington and Canada face 40 degree weather all winter. Nobody wants to be exposed to that wind.

Also, the cabin isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. My kid sleeps in it if the fishing is slow, with no complaints. I agree it is not that big but it's as big as it can be on that boat and it will sleep 2 adults.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
And yet they kept the 208 which is a 2 foot smaller cockpit but otherwise the same boat, same seats, same cabin. I don't get that other than it is $30K cheaper and maybe sells more. I paid the extra $30K and am happy that I did. Fishing is the primary use for my 228 and it is a fishing machine.
We may never know the decision to get rid of the 226/228 but perhaps it is the fact that 30k less is more attractive and the 208 is a lot more towable for beginners.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
We may never know the decision to get rid of the 226/228 but perhaps it is the fact that 30k less is more attractive and the 208 is a lot more towable for beginners.
I don't think the towable is a big factor but I agree on the $30K. I was in a fairly unique position to be able to afford the 228, most people aren't. I kinda think Grady got greedy on that boat. 2 more feet of fiberglass is what? Maybe $1K? Extra 50HP is maybe $4K? Swim bracket is maybe $1K? Round it all up to $10K so they make some money. Even $15K. But $30K? Seems steep.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Man do I wish I still had the 226 right now. With the cost of boats and the lack of inventory I could still have a boat. Unless things get less crazy I don't see myself in a boat anytime soon unless it is a really old boat 2010 or older.

I have called two or three Sea Hunt and Sportsman dealers and they have zero new or used and any boat on their website is spoken for.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
i give it another 3 years and many of these boats will be sitting and come up for used sales, but it’ll take some patience

Reactions: Ettatouffée

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As someone said "there is no such thing as bad weather just bad clothes" We go out on chilly days up here with a heater in the cuddy doorway pushing warm air out, Yes it is nice to have a cabin on our 208. Is the 228 really 2 ft. longer in deck space when you figure in the built in live well taking up the same deck space or more as the splash well on the 208? Would have loved to bring up a 228 from California those 12 years ago but found the 208 Chris Brown " Chumalong" had up for sale and had to head down and have a look, and loved it. Beautiful trip down the Pacific Coast taking 10 days then hooking up the "yacht" and 3 days to get home on i5. Ok so I got a little of topic.....OOOps

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Is the 228 really 2 ft. longer in deck space when you figure in the built in live well taking up the same deck space or more as the splash well on the 208?
I can measure mine if you like. It's a lot bigger, I looked at a 208 because the dealer had one and, well, $30K is $30K. I can't imagine crabbing out of a 208, there is no room in there for the pots unless you collapsed them for the way out and the way back (and that's just a pain). I can stack up 8 pots and still have space in the deck to work with them.

208 is still a sweet boat, nothing wrong with it, 228 is a bit bigger and sometimes that is nice.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Luck, just for fun could you measure the deck size from the fish boxes (hatched behind the seats) to the front of the live well. May have to start looking for the unattainable now deceased 228.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
208 and 226/228 are two different boats. Dad has an 07 208. I have 05 226. Hardtop is standard on 228. That costs more too. Both are very different and good in their own way.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
208 and 226/228 are two different boats. Dad has an 07 208. I have 05 226. Hardtop is standard on 228. That costs more too. Both are very different and good in their own way.
I looked at a 2020 208 and other than the transom/swim platform/2 foot shorter deck, it was identical to the 228. Same cabin, same hard top. The $30K difference seemed excessive. But I don't build boats so I dunno. A 30 foot Marlin is around $200K more which also seems crazy so maybe I just don't know what things cost.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I can understand why it would be discontinued, it is not a family friendly boat and the cabin is basically useless except for storage. I had one and loved fishing on it but when I took my wife out she hated it, seats where not comfortable and the little jump seats didn't work for her. The dual console with seating up front and the lounge seat is more what she wanted. Now that I am in Florida we are looking at boats, always thought I wanted a Marlin but now I think more of a CC or DC is in the cards.
My family loves the 228. Kids can play in the cabin all day, then nap as well if they get lulled to sleep. Nice and cool in there too with the windows open, in fact they usually want a towel over them because it gets cooler than anywhere else on the boat. Jumpseats work just fine as well, never had a single complaint, even if the cushions aren't out. :cool:

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just had a dude in an older 208 yesterday at the dock ask if I was selling. Told him no way.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Luck, just for fun could you measure the deck size from the fish boxes (hatched behind the seats) to the front of the live well. May have to start looking for the unattainable now deceased 228.
Trapper, I’m a stones throw away from you in West Courtenay, drop by some day and you can measure my 228 Seafarer to compare to your 208.
I should mention that a guy on the dock at Nootka last summer who owns a 208 asked me to sell him my 228.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
1670 mm ( 65.7") measured on the floor, 2013 Seafarer 228.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My family loves the 228. The aft deck space is huge for a 22 footer. Toss a couple tear drop bean bags and you got a comfy boat. We do a ton of snorkeling and the deck space with full swim platform is great for entering and exiting the water .

I don't have anything against a 208. with that said the 208 hull can fit inside the 228 hull. Which boat do you want in rough seas? I had a 192 and the 228 is night and day better in it's sea keeping abilities. it's not just 2 feet of glass. it's a bigger bow height , it's a deeper stern ,it's a bigger boat overall. Grady is clearly focusing on bigger boats and the Freedom series. Maybe one day it returns especially if energy costs go up and folks want a fuel efficient boat that can do most things well at 3.2 miles per gallon. Don't get me wrong, I would enjoy a Sailfish or Marlin or express 305 or 330. until then my 228 rocks .

Reactions: Ky Grady

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Don, I now also have the measurement from wrxhoon with thanks.
I feel small and inadequate, almost in a state of depression. Found myself wallowing in misery on realizing I have the smallest yacht in the Grady line up. What kind of a man can be satisfied with a boat this size? .......Unfortunately they have discontinued the 228 so any aspirations I may had to upgrading have left me with little choice but to find happiness and contentment even joy in cruising, fishing, prawning and boat camping in my 208. It is quite step down from my 40 ft. commercial fishing troller, but with time and therapy I believe I am managing to adjust and look forward to another summer of fun in the sun on the "small one". Thank you for your concern and attempt at support.