It's official - 228 is no more :-(

billyttpd

Reaction score
Wonder if the full transom and bracket option could make a comeback on the 208?.... It was an option in 1991. looking at the previous model year brochures on the Grady White website. Boats have came along way over the years that's for sure. Would love to see the lapstrake hulls again.

NHAngler

Reaction score
Sad to hear this. I have wanted a 228 for a while. I still do and would only buy used regardless. However, no more new models is never good for resale for sellers in a hesitant market nor a demand based market for buyers.

I really wished they made a 222 CC model with a bracket like the 228. Some of us prefer to trailer and specifically want a boat of that size and class. I would buy one for sure.

While I prefer center consoles still and like the layout of all GW walkarounds, other manufacturers fail to impress me at all with their walkarounds. So it is sad that Grady is moving away from what hills they own. On a similar note, the newer Grady CC models (under 26’) are evolving away from my interests.

Like most boat builders, I suspect they will be reducing their line to fewer models and even if a model sells really well, they may focus on the fewer bigger boats that they can command a higher dollar for. Even w/o the pandemic, they can only build so many per year so why not focus on the models that generate the most cash. I just hope we don’t see a drop in quality as high demand can also relax quality standards. Something I’m sure Grady will uphold given their track record here.

I’m thinking my next boat may then be a formula style CC hull with a bracket, and likely something like a Bluewater.

I also think our world is about to change drastically as the price of fuel goes up and EV becomes more real. Thirsty outboards will be around for a while but seems likely to present questions regarding how boat builders and buyers respond.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Just returned from therapy and have been told I am on the road to complete recovery from any 208 size issues. Thank you all for your support especially Smoky who pointed out there is the smaller Grady the 180.
Trapper it's not the size of the cockpit that matters it's what you catch when you're in it!

I was fishing one year out of Port Canaveral and we roll in to the public ramp and there were tons of boats many in the 30 -40 range. It seemed busier than normal,but my fishing buddy and I paid little attention. We go do our thing which includes trolling in and around the 25 mile weather buoy . We catch several big dolphin that day including a 50 incher off the weather buoy. We get back to the port and start filleting our catch . A guy comes up to us and says you guys won! We were like won what? He says the King of the Port Tournament or what ever it was called. We said we didn't enter and he said too bad because you would have easily won it with your dolphin. We could have won $10K or $20k!!!! Point is all those big yellowfins,contenders and such got nothing and two guys and their 10 year old boys caught fish in a little 22 footer in the same ocean at the same time .

Now here is what you won't catch in a 208 versus those guys with triple and quads . You likely won't get land tuna decked out in their thong bathing suits flocking to your tiny boat with single outboard being pulled at best with a F150. That kind of action is attracted by $$$$$$$ and bigger boats owned by guys who are over compensating for something. It's good eye candy to have lots of land tuna on the boat but the wife wouldn't like it much . lol. I suspect in those situations there is no wife mainly exs. lol.

I short I am glad to have helped a fellow boater out even one with a small little Grady such as yourself.

Reactions: Holokai

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Smokey, appreciate the story helping understand all this "size" foolishness. This all started "tongue in cheek" and has developed into my ongoing therapy. I am one of the lucky ones who fished with his wife and has taught his 208 to catch chinook salmon in the high 20 and 30 lb. range.....dam! it appears to be all about size again...... I rest my anxieties!!!:)

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Smokey, appreciate the story helping understand all this "size" foolishness. This all started "tongue in cheek" and has developed into my ongoing therapy. I am one of the lucky ones who fished with his wife and has taught his 208 to catch chinook salmon in the high 20 and 30 lb. range.....dam! it appears to be all about size again...... I rest my anxieties!!!:)
Just remember there are fetishes of all kinds including small size. Maybe your wife really is into small things and in that case you're lucky! My wife didn't like my dirty bilge . Lol.

I am actually in the same boat as you. I long for a Marlin or Express 305 or 330. I long for a big boat too. I feel bad deep down in my chicken nuggets. Look I love the 228. it's HUGE,but you wouldn't know that feeling , but I want to explore . I want to go cruising more in the Bahamas and stuff.. I fish and all but I like to use the boat to explore new places and having a bigger cabin, twins , I mean who doesn't like a good set if twins ,and all means I can go further safer. Also having a Marlin means I look down at all the little people, little people in their small 228s and 208s like you. lol.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My 34 year old 226 will serve as a great example of a truly great multipurpose GW model, and live on for many more years!

View attachment 21241
That bad boy has TWINS! I wish I had twins ,like 125/130s .It just looks cool and gives one a peace of mind out on the sea . plus the dock handeling is supposed to be better with 2 engines. That's a sweet boat right there .

Reactions: SirGrady226

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
My 34 year old 226 will serve as a great example of a truly great multipurpose GW model, and live on for many more years!

View attachment 21241
Wow, that 226 looks fantastic. Here is hoping one of my kids keep my 228 and show it of 30+ years later. Dude, that is a well maintained boat, at least on the outside, it looks new. Hang on to that boat, it is a keeper.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
That bad boy has TWINS! I wish I had twins ,like 125/130s .It just looks cool and gives one a peace of mind out on the sea . plus the dock handling is supposed to be better with 2 engines. That's a sweet boat right there .
Yes, original twin 1987 140 Johnson LOOPERS with all original power heads. This boat is a little hot rod still, I have seen 46 mph at only 5,000 rpm, I never push them past that out of common sense. You certainly do not see any of these old outboards still in service anymore, they get gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon. ;) I'm not a fan of how the boat rides in small chop, the old hull design is very stable and very dry, but it will beat you up pretty good. It's certainly a compromise. What's truly amazing about this old girl is how good the gel coat has held up and how little stress cracks are present after 34 years of South Florida climate. Hopefully I will be able to repower her with a nice single 4 stroke in the future, but for now I pick my spots and enjoy her whenever possible. You can't find a better multipurpose design, the Seafarer can do it all, and do it well!

Reactions: JJMag and Ky Grady

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Too bad. After buying three new Grady's, we had our heart set on a 282. Obviously we had to buy used. Neither a center console nor a Freedom fits our plans right now.

And as nice as the 232 is, it doesn't have as the same fishing and family friendly transom as the 228, in my opinion. My wife immediately discounted the 232 due to lack of a transom walk-through. I wanted to be able to walk a sailfish around the transom. So at that time, we got the 258 and loved it.

But as other have said, Grady can't manufacture boats that don't sell. Whether I understand it or not!

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Us 226 owners are used to it lol.

Attachments

• 29C660D9-9C63-4029-8EA8-8B2BC9F3E49C.jpeg
    29C660D9-9C63-4029-8EA8-8B2BC9F3E49C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • 12A98653-F373-4F27-8EDC-51CE83A80AC2.jpeg
    12A98653-F373-4F27-8EDC-51CE83A80AC2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Us 226 owners are used to it lol.

The 226 is a great boat. I know that there is a lot of justified love for the 228 but I, in just a year of owning a 228, have been in a following sea and that swim platform pushes you around. I'm OK with it, I grew up in Wisconsin, learned how to drive there, I'm very used to the car not going where I want it to and dealing with that. The 228 is a little like that, a following sea can push you around in unexpected ways. I shrug but I get why the 226 people love their boats. Less drama. That said, OK, I have the platform that pushes me around but I also have that high transom that doesn't let water in. You love your 226, I love my 228, just bummed that neither are no more. Great boats. Sort of the perfect size, big little boats or little big boats. It's a bummer that they weren't making money for Grady.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The 226 is a great boat. I know that there is a lot of justified love for the 228 but I, in just a year of owning a 228, have been in a following sea and that swim platform pushes you around. I'm OK with it, I grew up in Wisconsin, learned how to drive there, I'm very used to the car not going where I want it to and dealing with that. The 228 is a little like that, a following sea can push you around in unexpected ways. I shrug but I get why the 226 people love their boats. Less drama. That said, OK, I have the platform that pushes me around but I also have that high transom that doesn't let water in. You love your 226, I love my 228, just bummed that neither are no more. Great boats. Sort of the perfect size, big little boats or little big boats. It's a bummer that they weren't making money for Grady.
I think it mainly has to do with how expensive these models have become and you can get a bigger freedom for less. Had the bracket Grady before. They both have their pro and cons. Was nice turning in a marina over the weekend without a bracket and not having to k turn so to speak. Both have the pro and con. Aide not tho. My 19 pitch enertia on my 250hp four stroke 226 is awesome!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Yes, original twin 1987 140 Johnson LOOPERS with all original power heads. This boat is a little hot rod still, I have seen 46 mph at only 5,000 rpm, I never push them past that out of common sense. You certainly do not see any of these old outboards still in service anymore, they get gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon. ;) I'm not a fan of how the boat rides in small chop, the old hull design is very stable and very dry, but it will beat you up pretty good. It's certainly a compromise. What's truly amazing about this old girl is how good the gel coat has held up and how little stress cracks are present after 34 years of South Florida climate. Hopefully I will be able to repower her with a nice single 4 stroke in the future, but for now I pick my spots and enjoy her whenever possible. You can't find a better multipurpose design, the Seafarer can do it all, and do it well!
You my friend have the Sea Donkey hull! I met some guy at Hadrells Tackle shop a few years back. He had a pre SV2 hull and he said the exact same thing you stated. They nicknamed the boat the sea donkey as she would buck and kick you in chop. lol.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
You my friend have the Sea Donkey hull! I met some guy at Hadrells Tackle shop a few years back. He had a pre SV2 hull and he said the exact same thing you stated. They nicknamed the boat the sea donkey as she would buck and kick you in chop. lol.
It's a very stable fishing platform, but heading straight into chop is the one thing I'm not happy with. I guess my 2,400.00 investment was well worth it though, it's quite a boat for it's age!

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I came on here back in January when I ordered my 2021 228. Shipping date was supposed to be in June. Multiple delays but that is the way life is now. I've been in touch with Gwen at Grady and the boat is in production started on the 12th. They're waiting on my Yamaha 300 that should be in any day. If that works out we should see it at the end of July. Hoping to do a factory visit during that last week of the build. Lots of ifs involved but I'm hopeful. If it gets delayed, that is life. Grady's been great so far and I'm looking forward to one of the last 228's being built . I am told there is one more being built after mine and that's it. Fingers crossed for a mid August delivery date to my slip

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I replied to the other thread about this as well… but I bought a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer out on the East coast at a place called Tri State Marine in Maryland. When I was there, they mentioned they had sold the very last 228 Seafarer that GW ever produced to a local guy that was having the boat in for a 20 hour motor service. Pretty cool story and funny name for the boat.

A57FD619-B635-4600-8BF1-0ACD8C2F8197.jpeg8CC3EB19-D426-41EA-B961-7C259C1D48F4.jpeg

Reactions: Summertop511