Just felt like saying hello....

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I just have been busy, quiet...whatever.. the past few months. I have not posted a lot, but wanted to say hello to you all. I think the boat is a sore-spot for me, on some days.. heh... due to the issues, but I know it will all get fixed eventually, just takes time and money lol.I also know that this forum provides me a lot of the motivation to get it done, and to learn.. so, just wanted to start the day off with a good note.

So... anyone spend time on their boat this weekend, or the past month? I know most button their boat up for the winter, but.... figured to see what all you all did with your boat or boating stuff recently.

Have a great day, and let's see those pictures and hear the stories!:)

R

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Keep your head up! One step at a time, make a list check it twice. Before you know it you will be posting the pictures and telling the stories!

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Oh, I am fine.. heh... just looking over the schematics, learning, understanding, whining a little.. lol.. and getting it in my head what to budget for.

Worst case, I wait till I rebuild both engines. Middle case, they run fine, I take a chance.. fish on the local lakes or with a buddy or close in...never alone.. and save money up and do the repairs. Best case, I win the lottery.. lol

R

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re-doing the whole suspension on my Road King trailer. 14 years of salt water dips. Waiting for parts to arrive and I am doing one side at a time. Bought a pneumatic jack on sale, which makes all the ups and downs so much easier in a confined space. Not sure if their is any way to add a coating to the springs before install to extend their life. but I guess 14 years is a fairly good life span. Interesting the springs were still ok but the double eyes were worn way out of round, Shackles and equalizer were also way out of round. Good timing as we are dealing with a lot of wind on the Island, keeping the prawns and Springs safe until I get finished up

Reactions: RussGW270

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Trapper - I just re did my trailer suspension. Bolts were all frozen and rusted shut. I ended up using a grinder and reciprocating saw to cut all the springs and bolts. Took me about 8 hours total, with the boat on it. Having all the parts on hand was key.
I was pretty lucky, I had one u bolt break on the axle while backing into the driveway. If that had happened on the road, it would have ended badly....

Attachments

• IMG_6962.JPG
    IMG_6962.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7052.JPG
    IMG_7052.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7178.JPG
    IMG_7178.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7263.JPG
    IMG_7263.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 14

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sdfish, I was lucky, got all mine off with a pneumatic impact wrench. although a couple took a little heat and then a good beating to pop them out of the double eye. Your certainly looked they were due for a refit. Appears your brakes have been on vacation for some time. Lucky "break" on the driveway!!!!!! Looking forward to summer of boat camping and fishing here on the east coast of Vancouver Island.

UCPA111

Reaction score
Russ.....you've been MIA?!!!!!
I've been tinkering with the boat this winter here in PA. Doing some polishing and buffing and sanding. Made a nice storage system for my extendable ladder that I mount to the swim platform. Been working to install a FishHawk (https://fishhawkelectronics.com). And, I'm making preparations for taking the boat to the Atlantic coast this summer. Will be upgrading my trailer tires to D rating and may bling things up with some aluminum rims. Oh...and bought a fan for the helm area (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Caframo-Kona-12-Volt-Weatherproof-Fan-817CAWBX/303963341)
I definitely winterized it too soon. Lake Trout bite on Lake Erie was unbelievable this Fall. I didn't get a chance to go after them, but imagine getting 100+ bites in a day. Here's some video from a local captain I know (
). I hope to hit it hard this Spring.

I hope you get the bugs worked out and get to enjoy that thing!!!!!

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I believe I recall ocnslr offering to fly down, and help you get your boat water ready last year, for not much more than the price of a ticket. That would have been the best money you ever spent on your Grady. Maybe it's not too late.