Keep 228 or move up to 282??

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ok guys, putting this out there for discussion. Curious on your thoughts.

As most of you know, I've replaced almost everything on my '04 228, really needs nothing, ready to go. For some reason I'm obsessed with the 282. I have a line on a '06 282 with twin F250's, 1500 hours, second owner, no bottom paint and a 1 year old tri-axle trailer. It would be a trailer boat as I still live in Kentucky and probably will for the foreseeable future. We've talked about relocating to Sarasota/Bradenton area, but nothing right this minute. Will still fish Lake Erie, South Carolina and our yearly vacation trip to Florida. My wife accompanies me, but I'm pretty much a solo launch and retrieve guy, she can't do either other than backing me in during launch, I have to tie off and go park the rig.

Will I regret selling my 228 for the 282? Major overkill for catfishing but great for Florida and Lake Erie. Still learning saltwater fishing but the 282 would be a great platform to use.

Anyone else made this jump and wished they still had the smaller boat? Pulling isn't an issue as I tow with a '19 F350 dually. What am I not seeing in this swap??

Thanks

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ky,

I'll take the bait...excuse the pun.

In my mind, there is nothing about boat ownership that one can rationalize as a "need" unless you are using it to make money for your livelyhood.

Justifying owning a boat is a totally different discussion. At the end of the day we all come to terms with wants, needs, and balance out the two.

I support any decision that makes you happy. You deserve that. We all do. And I love that twin F250 setup!!

Besides, in your own words you said "I've replaced almost everything" in your 228. If you are like me, projects are a big part of who I am and feel a great sense of accomplishment when I tackle a new one. So now you have the opportunity for new updates and projects if you care to.

Sounds like a great opportunity to accomplish just that ;)

Curious about what others might say to you that have moved up, but I will be surprised if there are many "regretters".

Reactions: Ky Grady

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
you are not seeing $$$$$$$$. Everything costs more....
you are not seeing time.
Launching will wear on you.

Unless you have a big lake in KY and you can dock it for the season. Then you get time for your money.
You will use it. Even if its just to hang out and drink a beer with your wife...;)

When you have a dock, you can go fishing for an hour or two on your way home from work.
You can go at 4 am and be done at 8 am. You can go solo if you have to ...or want to....

and all that fishing will burn twice the gas:rolleyes:

and too much fishing is a good problem to have:p

btw, I moved up from a 20 footer. I don't regret it. It was time.

Islander268GW

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Skunkboat hit the nail on the head...definitely will wear you out trailering/launching all the time with the length, weight, and beam...especially if launching solo.

One thing to think about is how easy the trailer is set up for solo launching...some trailers make it easier than others!

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Had the Sailfish on a trailer and now the Marlin on the trailer, no difference for towing or launching .
Both boats are large on a trailer, all my bay and ocean fishing I tow the boat. One difference is it’s
also on a lift in a marina ten miles from home, like Shunkboat said I can drop it and go for an hour or two
in the delta. With gas prices in California sometimes I want a smaller boat, but running 70 miles offshore
need the Marlin. Launching by myself not problem, you have truck to tow anything you want. Get what makes
you happy, I love the Marlin over the Sailfish seems like night and day when offshore.
Good luck

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm an hour away from Lake Cumberland in south central Kentucky. Weekends are crazy busy down there, week days are better but I work.

Thanks for replies so far, that's what I'm looking for.

Reactions: UCPA111

Fishtales

Reaction score
You may have more fun on a bigger boat, then again you may not if you are solo. It will be a big boat to trailer for sure. As I recall the beam is 9'6" so you may need a special tow permit. If ocean my vote is yes if you can swing it and can handle the extra work. If a lake, I'm not so sure I'd pull the trigger. The one thing I disliked on the 282 is the helm. I found it tight between the 2 captains chairs. This was my #1 reason for going to the Marlin with a companion seat. Good luck with your decision.

Caburke1

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Keep the 228 while in Kentucky but sell it and move up to the 282 when you move to Florida. The 228 isn't a good Florida boat. It's too hot to use that small cabin for anything but storage (on cold days it's too windy to go boating). You'll appreciate the 282 when crossing Sarasota Bay or boating in the Gulf. My 273 Chase was a great Florida boat but I've upgraded to a 306 Canyon now that I'm approaching 60 years old. Look me up before you move to the area if you have any questions.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I'll chime in on this one for what it's worth.
I owned a 228, then moved to a 265 Express, then moved up again to a 330 Express.

If you intend to trailer your boat - I recommend you stay with your 228.
Especially since you launch and retrieve your boat at the ramp by yourself most of the time.
The 228, as you know, is fine for this.

Trailering a 282 (not unlike my 265 Express) is another story.
Close to 2X the weight and doing THAT by yourself at the boat ramp will be quite different - especially on a windy day...
For it's size and weight, the 282 is, in my opinion, well suited to be trailered only once in a while (i.e. for service).
You certainly have the right truck but you will likely need highway permits to move a boat around of that size.

And do I regret selling my 228? Maybe a little since it was such a great boat for the kinds of things I do.

Of course, there are some who would say towing a 9,000 or 10,000 boat around is easy but they might own a big Barn and a trucking company!

Last edited:

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Keep your 228 until you move to Florida.

I fish with a lot of different guys who drag around a lot of different boats. IMO, a 22' is about as big as you can go if you are going to launch by yourself. The difference between putting in a Seafarer vs even a 23' Gulfstream is REALLY noticeable when the wind is blowing. Twin engines give you better control when loading, but the weight and wind profile of larger boats make them very difficult to bugger lug around unless you are at a good ramp with little wind. I know guys who trailer big Contenders and Regulators on a regular basis. It usually takes most of the crew to handle these beasts at the ramp. And it's more stressful to pull them on the highway even with heavy duty trucks.

You have just about the perfect boat for what you do now. I'd stick with it until you live somewhere that you can keep a bigger boat on a lift and maybe only trailer it occasionally.

UCPA111

Reaction score
Ahhhh....our first world problems...right? :) I was just having this conversation with my wife as she said "so when are you going to get the itch for something bigger?" What can I say....she knows how it goes.

I look around and the 282, 265, etc are some nice rigs. But, I always come back to a few things:
- The seafarer with a bracket is like a euro transom 25 footer. Sure, it's a little narrower. But, it is also legally towed. And, if you look at pure usable space in a cockpit and access to the stern of the boat, it's really hard to beat the seafarer. I feel like I got super lucky (always liked Grady's but never studied them per say....then saw my boat for sale for $2800 and bought on a whim). Now, having studied the GW line of boats and others, and really diving into the seafarer....just tickled with it.
- I like being able to easily tow and splash...even if it's just me and my 2 young kids. I trailer 25 miles to Lake Erie....do 12-16 trips annually....and it's just convenient. I can arrive at ramp and be pulling away in the boat in less than 10 minutes (including parking). Loading is the same, including taking rods down. I pull the kids on the tube, we troll for walleye and every person I take is just impressed. "Can't believe this is a 22 foot boat and we're fishing 5 guys with 10 rods."
- Efficiency and seaworthiness. I know a larger boat offers more seaworthiness in general....but the small but mighty seafarer can take more than I can. And, at 30 mph I get 2.8 mpg....it's just a nice setup.
- I don't feel bad if the boat sits in the garage. I don't have hundreds of thousands tied up in it.

Now, what would my dream be for trailering if I wanted bigger?
- 8' 6" width in a 26-27' boat with a bracket (I find down riggers and euro transoms are more challenging) and twins. I still like the walk around with hard top even though cabin is small it offers storage.

If I lived on the coast and had a lift....I'd be all over a 30' Marlin with twin 250's or 300's.

KY, I don't know how you go wrong. You know the tradeoffs with size. You obviously have no towing issues and are experienced on that front. And, you know the boat systems. If I bought a 10+ year old boat I'd probably have to dive deep in it (electrical, hoses, etc.) to be sure everything is top notch. I love knowing everything is new on my boat...just like a new fuel tank (right?)... :)

I wish you luck and look forward to what the future brings!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
After pondering and discussion with the wife all weekend, I will keep my 228. I needed to make my mind up to give seller an answer.

With my 228, I have replaced practically everything that can be replaced. I have a 2004 that has been brought up to 2019 specs, minus the motor, which is coming hopefully in the near future. Fishing room wise in the cockpit, I feel I have as much as the 282, maybe not as wide, but length wise, pretty close. A lot of the 282 size is forward and below in the cabin, which would probably not get used as intended as far as staying onboard on the hook. Wife gets queasy watching TV shows sometimes so I know bobbing around while trying to sleep would be out.

My OCD/anal personality would have me re-doing that 282 just like I did my 228. Not sure I want to go down that road again. Actually looking forward to this spring for launch and having no major upgrades or repairs to contend with, finally enjoy my boat right out of the gate. The size and solo launching and retrieving also has me concerned. I'm afraid I would get frustrated trying to wrestle it by myself and end up not using it. My 228 is a breeze to launch and retrieve and it serves me well for the style of fishing that I enjoy. Of course, towing is a non issue with the dually and no permits to deal with. Maintenance is simple on my 228, only having to deal with one motor.

I appreciate all the responses and points y'all brought up about the two boats. My dream all along was to own a 228 and I finally have it. For what I do and where I go, the 228 suits me well.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Good logic and summary.

I think you made exactly the right decision. Keep you money in your pocket and enjoy the boat by using the heck out of it.
Then one Winter, and only when you feel it necessary, re-power it with the best Yamaha has to offer.
The boat will then outlast you and you'll be money ahead.

p.s. While I love my 330, I wish I kept my 228. It's an awesome boat!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think you are making the right call. Take the extra jing and to something else to give you more options! Really can't have that much more fun on the water with another boat anyway.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
KY, I commend you for your ability to step back and make such a choice! I agree with the others, smart move for someone in your situation. The 228 is a lot of boat for a 22 footer, yet easy to own.
For the most part I've made up my mind to move up to a 270 (if I can find one), but often wonder if I will regret the simplicity and capability of the 248. My wife and kids make the situation a little easier to make the jump. I'm thinking if I can find a 270 at the right price and make it look as good as our 248, I wont have a problem unloading it if I decide going up was a mistake. Then I'll have a good reason to pick up a much newer 258!
Enjoy your 228. Great boat!

bc282

Reaction score
i went from a 22' WA to my 282 and zero regrets as PacNW coastal and offshore fishing suits the bigger boat.
I keep the boat on a trailer and no issues towing with 3/4 ton truck but you definitely know its back there and not gonna win any races.
But ...
Bigger boat can equal bigger and more expensive problems.
1500 hours isn't too much but the motors are getting up in age and hours and will soon need replacing--i don't see another 5+ years with those engines before you see significant issues.
I was soft planning to either sell or re-power in a year or so, but this summer hit a log and starboard motor needed re-placing.
I was not budgeting for such large expense this year but in couple weeks forking over Cdn $50k (difference after selling port motor and some $ from insurance) and re-powering with Suzuki DF300's.
Something to consider for future.
the 228 is a solid boat.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I love the 282 and have had both the Seafarer and Sailfish. Definitely some trade-off going bigger. I rarely take my SF out alone, the Seafarer that was pretty common. The Sailfish gives you extended offshore range and comfort but it come with a cost. Everything is basically 2x what you have with the 22 ( Fuel, marina, engine maintenance etc,) My nephew bought a Seafarer and I really enjoyed kicking around when I got a ride in it. The tough decision we are faced with in life - which Grady to buy :)

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Nothing else to say that hasn't been said except for a trailering comment..I have towed both a Seafarer and my current Marlin, which is close in mass & heft to a 282, albeit a bit bigger.

You may tire of towing a 282 even though your set up to do it. I towed my Marlin 1200+ to Michigan this past summer and the first thing I did when I got back was sell the trailer. it was waay too much hassle although everything went as planned and nothing broke.

You don't want a situation where you boat less because you don't want to go thru the trouble and time to trailer it. There's permits to get if you want to stay legal and as Fishtales once said, you insurance may be void if you stack it up w/out proper documentation. A Sailfish, like a Marlin, is neat to have, not so neat to yank around.

Advice given here is correct, I think; Get the bigger boat when you move South, which, by the way, I highly recommend.