Keeping critters out of the cabin

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Two seasons ago something ate a hole and made a nest in my cushions (fixed them already), this year removed the cushions for the winter and left a roll of paper towels - something chewed on that (no damage). I even left those seed looking packets to keep mice out but I think these are squirrels.
They are definitely crawling up through the gunwale (can stick arm in there next to fish boxes), and can do same from cabin if you reach up behind the bolsters.
Anyone ever seal this area off? Not sure if air needs to circulate through that area but seems it would allow moisture into cabin. Was thinking some type of "screen" but would need to be plastic. Any other ideas? Dur9ng the off season I tried shoving a bumper in each side (prob kept any cats out but not tight enough for a squirrel).

seasick

Reaction score
see my post

Reactions: imjus4u2nv

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Plastic stuff isn't going to stop things - maybe temporarily, but they can still chew through that. What you need is something they don't like to chew on. Steel wool is fantastic for this - the little strands of metal will stop them before they even get their teeth in there since it will irritate their whiskers/mouths. The downside, is that steel wool can rust and maybe leave some stains over time. Instead, get bronze wool - you can buy it on Amazon and other places pretty easily. You can get actual bronze wool - and you can even get "rolls" of bronze mesh. Both will work. A little bit of expanding foam will work to keep it in place. You can even get expanding foam that has a taste/odor deterrent built in (although I don't know how well it works or how long that lasts... but it can't hurt).

The nice thing about the wool/mesh is that it easily stuffs into odd shape holes and doesn't leave any gaps where they can still fit through.

Last edited:

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
peppermint oil on some cotton. also can place a few drops on balsa wood.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Oh... you know what else seems to be a good deterrent? Dryer sheets. Place them throughout the cabin and in cubbies/v-berth storage. A while back, before I started using the bronze wool, I had critters (squirrels, I believe) in the cabin over the winter. Upon the recommendation of a local shrinwrapper, I used those and never had the squirrels again. Plus, it smells nice in there come Springtime! I still use the dryer sheets, even with the holes plugged up with wool.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Trap em if you can. You still need to make them want to stay away. The rat bait works as they eat it and then get thirsty. Drink the water outside hopefully and perish.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Im not a fan of baits, though they work well , Ive had too many crawl off and die in the most obscure hard to reach spots. nothing worse than rotten varmint smell.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I started using this stuff called Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent after finding a nest with some live babies in the trunk of my Studebaker and droppings in my wife's car, both of which are kept in the barn garage which I'm sure has a solid resident population despite the live-in black snake(s) I've seen and I've not had any problems since. You can get it for $3-$4 per packet depending on the quantity but you can probably get away with one in the cabin, maybe two for extra security and it lasts a pretty long time, I replace them about once a year. As it's a repellent and not a bait you will want to maintain the strength of the smell (which is not at all unpleasant by the way) and as the boat is more open than the trunk of a car you'll probably need to change them out more frequently but I'd think you could still get several months out of one. They make a version for ants and spiders as well but I've not tried either of those.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I started using this stuff called Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent after finding a nest with some live babies in the trunk of my Studebaker and droppings in my wife's car, both of which are kept in the barn garage which I'm sure has a solid resident population despite the live-in black snake(s) I've seen and I've not had any problems since. You can get it for $3-$4 per packet depending on the quantity but you can probably get away with one in the cabin, maybe two for extra security and it lasts a pretty long time, I replace them about once a year. As it's a repellent and not a bait you will want to maintain the strength of the smell (which is not at all unpleasant by the way) and as the boat is more open than thee trunk of a car you'll probably need to change them out more frequently but I'd think you could still get several months out of one. They make a version for ants and spiders as well but I've not tried either of those.
Thanks everyone. I am only interested in blocking off at this point, will try dryer sheets also but need to block off as xant dothat everytile I closetje boat (I use a few times a week of lucky).
I dont think anything at this point will want to get in there enough to chew I think it is just easy access.
I may try some of that white plastic stuff from home depot) and mount in place with some 4200.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Squirrels will be a problem till they beat all the kindness towards them out of you doing your property serious damage.
I take two courses of action, I use a cage trap baited with peanuts and once caught drive them several miles away ensuring there are lines of division between where I drop them and home . Like a highway or river because if you drop them only 2-3 miles they will come back. Be prepared for more as for every one squirrel you see there are 10-20 more. You’ve got to do this yourself or you’ll make an exterminator rich. Note also by law he can only remove it to a local area for release so that’ll do you no good.
The other option which has been very effective is an RWS pellet rifle. I live rural so no neighbor issues with shooting them.
I don’t poison them as I don’t want whatever eats there remains to get poisoned too. The ones I shoot are left for a fox we have in our woods and in return it leaves our chickens be.
One thing for sure, if you take a soft response to them you’ll pay the price big time in damage.
Another note on poisoning. We had rats by our chicken coop. All other attempts to rid them failed so we resulted to poisoning them. It was effective but not kind. I saw several rats dying a slow bad death from it.
I didn’t want them but got no enjoyment from seeing that. At least the pellet rifle is a quick end for them.

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I agree! Live trap and execution works best for me. You never miss!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Need to determine what type of animal. Many are territorial and once you remove one, the next moves in. If you can figure out how/where they are getting in and mitigating the opportunity, you'll be in a better place.

white diamond

Reaction score
Two seasons ago something ate a hole and made a nest in my cushions (fixed them already), this year removed the cushions for the winter and left a roll of paper towels - something chewed on that (no damage). I even left those seed looking packets to keep mice out but I think these are squirrels.
They are definitely crawling up through the gunwale (can stick arm in there next to fish boxes), and can do same from cabin if you reach up behind the bolsters.
Anyone ever seal this area off? Not sure if air needs to circulate through that area but seems it would allow moisture into cabin. Was thinking some type of "screen" but would need to be plastic. Any other ideas? Dur9ng the off season I tried shoving a bumper in each side (prob kept any cats out but not tight enough for a squirrel).
I had raccoons getting in my cabin and used galvanized cage wire shoved into each side to block access. Has worked to keep them out for more than 10 years.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I may try some of that white plastic stuff from home depot) and mount in place with some 4200.
I'm not sure what white plastic stuff you are talking about, but as mentioned, those things can still chew through plastic pretty easily. See my post (and others) for better alternatives.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I'm not sure what white plastic stuff you are talking about, but as mentioned, those things can still chew through plastic pretty easily. See my post (and others) for better alternatives.
I think some may have missed the point. I do not have an infestation or that many animals to deal with, I live in the suburbs.
Main issue is ease of entry, if animal wants to get in it can chew almost anyhing, I dont have that problem
I have an access problem (only once or twice) which is either a cat, squirrel or raccoon) and when boat sits all week. If I block off entry, doubt a raccoon or cat will gnaw it's way in, a squirrel is another story but will deal with that if need to. Have no problem dealing with critters if I have to, but this seems like the correct and easiest first step.
The white PVC board can be cut close to size and will either caulk/silicone it in or use a little spray foam to hold in place - dont know if I am messing with aircirculation though.

Metal cage wire would help with this but how do you mount, and does it rust?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't think we missed the point - based on your first post, you mentioned "chewing" quite a bit! :)

But... "air circulation"... nah, you're thinking too much on that. That cabin is NOWHERE near airtight. Drill some holes in the PVC board if you want, but honestly, it's a waste of time.

If you want to use the cage wire stuff, I'd look around for aluminum wire - for the same reason as you mentioned... eventually the regular metal stuff will rust... might as well do it right and do it once. However, if you do end up with mice, that won't stop them. Use the PVC board to cover "most" of the hole, then stuff the bronze wool around the perimeter.

seasick

Reaction score
I think some may have missed the point. I do not have an infestation or that many animals to deal with, I live in the suburbs.
Main issue is ease of entry, if animal wants to get in it can chew almost anyhing, I dont have that problem
I have an access problem (only once or twice) which is either a cat, squirrel or raccoon) and when boat sits all week. If I block off entry, doubt a raccoon or cat will gnaw it's way in, a squirrel is another story but will deal with that if need to. Have no problem dealing with critters if I have to, but this seems like the correct and easiest first step.
The white PVC board can be cut close to size and will either caulk/silicone it in or use a little spray foam to hold in place - dont know if I am messing with aircirculation though.

Metal cage wire would help with this but how do you mount, and does it rust?
You only need one racoon who wants to nest.Same will squirrels. Cats don't gnaw but may scratch.
The metal wire we are talking about is inserted in the openings under the gunnels. Take a look and you will probably find small sections that a critter could crawl through.

Regarding living in the suburbs, one thing having outdoor cameras has shown is how many critters there are in Brooklyn NY. I live in a densely populated area where a 25 foot wide lot is typical:)
I have raccoons, up to six in a group, many cats, possums ( who have nested in neighbor's cars) and of course squirrels. It's a jungle out there. The big critters pass by several times a week, all year round!