Keeping Unwanted Guest out of the Cabin (a little long)

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
OK guys…need advice on how to prevent kitty-cats (and other critters) from getting into the cabin area of the boat.

Here is the problem. Last spring as I was doing the spring cleaning in the cabin of the overnighter, I noticed a large amount of cat hair all over the place. I had suspected the cats were getting into the cabin but couldn’t figure out how. I double checked the door latches and such and seamed to be in good working order. So, this past Sunday while it was raining cats and dogs I decide to clean the cabin of the Sailfish. Again lots of cat hair. During a break in the rain I went and got the shop vac to clean up the cat hair. I locked the doors before I left. Got back and opened the door and much to my surprise one of the kitties greeted me :? . I stood there trying to figure how the hell she got in there. Perhaps she slipped in unnoticed while I was busy cleaning. So I put her outside, closed the doors, and started back to cleaning. Then I hear tiny feet. Next thing I see is the kitty as she emerges from behind the cabinet on the port side. What the Hell :shock: ? So I run my hand up behind the cabinet and find out that the area between the hull and cabin is open. So I walk back to the cockpit and look up under the side rail and see an opening between the hull and walkway around the cabin large enough to get your arm in. To confirm my suspicion I ran a long piece of wire from the cockpit along side of the hull until it stopped. Went back into the cabin and yep….there was the wire :shock: . So it appears that I have solved my mystery of the cat hair and it appears that Grady White never thought of the problem of small animals finding their way into the cabin area. And if a cat can get in so can other critters of that size (or smaller) including some unwanted slithery ones that are found down here in the south (water moccasins). Cats are not too big of a problem. But the slithery critters may not like the idea of me meeting up with them in the cabin.

Now I’ve got to figure out a way to keep critters from getting into the cabin. I was thinking of using some stainless steel mesh wire, cutting it, and then bending it to shape. Then, either Epoxy or fiber glassing the edges of the mesh wire to the inside of the hull and walkway so it is ridged. The area would still be open but would provide a barrier to stop unwanted guest shacking up in the cabin. What do you guys think?

ahill

Reaction score
I got my 272 used.
I found chicken wire stuffed in the front of the gunwale recess forward enough to be out of sight. Kept the boat on a trailer in a varmint filled environment with no problems.
You shouldn't close off the area as it provides air circulation thru the cabin. I'm surprised I didn't get any mice but maybe the Homestead, FL mice are bigger than chicken wire. The mosquitos sure are!

seasick

Reaction score
Had a similar problem on my Adventure with racoons. I used aluminum mesh like the kind they sell to make radiator covers. I cut out some cardboard patterns to get the right shape and them cut out the wire mesh. I made it bigger than the opening so that I could wedge it in space under the gunnels. It has been there for two years and works well, no glue, no screws etc.
I can not keep the cats from sleeping on my bimini storage boot:) At least that is outside.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Intruders

Had a 5 foot long iguna on my boat in FL a year ago. Came in from the cockpit along the toe rail into the cabin. Had unrestricted movement from one side of the boat to the boaw and back down the other side. Easy access to the cabin.

You need to block the bulkhead where the walkaround recess is.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I figured there was a reason for leaving them open. I got home this evening and reassessed the plan. On the starboard side is the fuel filler ports. I don't think the cats can get past them. But other critters could. So I guess I need to do what ever I'm going to do to both sides.

Hey Seasick that is an excellent idea. Cardboard to use a a pattern and the alum mesh would be easier to cut and shape. Maybe glue some screen wire to them to keep the skitters at bay.

Thanks

HD

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a mice invasion over the 2007 winter. After spending $2300 to completely redo te fresh water system, I had the dealer install some SS wire mesh screens under the gunnels just forward of where the open area stops and the step up to the w/a is.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We had a varmint invasion last year. In the slip. Water rat. Same ingress path.

I used aluminum window screening, cut to a rough shape, and then fixed in place with construction adhesive from a tube.

It's not pretty, but it's effective, and no one looks up there under the gunwale.

Brian

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the hints. Looks like I’ll be busy this weekend.

Brian I hadn't thought about the adhesive in the big tubes. I bet liquid nails would work instead of using the epoxy.

So any idea why Grady White left those areas open? I would think that ventilation would be achieved by the main entrance to the cabin. Perhaps they never gave any thoughts about varmints invading the cabin area.

HD

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I stuffed empty and capped poland spring bottles in there stacked up as a wedge, under forward gunnel, nice and tight, and cheap.

I found another area under the gunnel up high that goes into the bilge, in case some of you have not checked back there.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sailfish 272

I had the same problem with a cat taking up residence in my cabin when I had my 272. I called GW CS and told them of the openings from under the gunnels and they sent be 2 lexan boards made to fit. Just had to mount them in front of the openings.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Re: Sailfish 272

Lainie J said:
I had the same problem with a cat taking up residence in my cabin when I had my 272. I called GW CS and told them of the openings from under the gunnels and they sent be 2 lexan boards made to fit. Just had to mount them in front of the openings.

So GW has something for the fix? How did you mount them?

Thanks

HD

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
seasick said:
I can not keep the cats from sleeping on my bimini storage boot:) At least that is outside.

Seasick, placing a fender underneath the bimini works well to keep the cats from making a nice bed out of it. It gets raised up just enough...

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

They were a perfect fit. I just snugged them in and siliconed along edges. You can make an L bracket attach one side to the lexan wedge and silicon in the brackets. You cant get in the area to screw them in.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Re: 272

Lainie J said:
They were a perfect fit. I just snugged them in and siliconed along edges. You can make an L bracket attach one side to the lexan wedge and silicon in the brackets. You cant get in the area to screw them in.

Thanks. i'll give GW a call and see if they have the parts.

HD

seasick

Reaction score
OnoEric said:
seasick said:

Seasick, placing a fender underneath the bimini works well to keep the cats from making a nice bed out of it. It gets raised up just enough...

Cool.. I will try that
Thanks

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
These are all top ideas. Interestingly a guy in our fishing club just had rats take up residence in his boat (not a Grady) and it cost him a complete new rewire....ouch!

So it's probably worthwhile looking at all areas not just the cabin.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You guys are making me nervous.

Just curious, does boat insurance (and/or homeowners in my case) cover damage from rodents, feline, reptiles, etc. to boats?

ahill

Reaction score
There was a homeless guy that took up residence in a dealer display boat in Ft. Lauderdale once.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tuna Man said:
You guys are making me nervous.

Just curious, does boat insurance (and/or homeowners in my case) cover damage from rodents, feline, reptiles, etc. to boats?

My boat and homeowners specifially EXCLUDES animal damage. I'd suggest blocking the gunnel access. I will have that done on my next Megabytes BEFORE I ever splash it.

BTW: On the 300, the gunnels only provide bilge access. The mice were able to get into compartments, under the sinks in the galley and head, but could not gain access to the cabin. Thanks goodness!!!

JOSH S

Reaction score
Wish I would have come across this 2 weeks ago. I just got a sailfish and drove it up to morehead. Spent a day cleaning the cabin and came back this past weekend to find a cat had moved in and sprayed inside the cabin. I'm considering a complete block off under the gunnels versus a wire mesh. That is after I re wash everything in the cabin. Any good remedies for cat pee odor removal?