Keeping Unwanted Guest out of the Cabin (a little long)

ahill

Reaction score
1. Wash with light mixture of dishwashing soap & water. 2. Rinse with a solution of white vinegar & water. 3. Rinse well with water.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
megabytes said:
Tuna Man said:
You guys are making me nervous.

Just curious, does boat insurance (and/or homeowners in my case) cover damage from rodents, feline, reptiles, etc. to boats?

My boat and homeowners specifially EXCLUDES animal damage. I'd suggest blocking the gunnel access. I will have that done on my next Megabytes BEFORE I ever splash it.

BTW: On the 300, the gunnels only provide bilge access. The mice were able to get into compartments, under the sinks in the galley and head, but could not gain access to the cabin. Thanks goodness!!!

Doesn't the bilge contain some sensitive wiring and equipment? Such as wiring to the bilge pump and the transducer for the sonar/fish finder?

I know both rats and mice seem to enjoy chewing through wiring. I know because I had a bunch of mice that took up residence under the dash in one of my corvettes one winter. Unknown to me I fired up the car one day to let her run a bit and immediately fried the PMC and nearly had a fire. Got a new PCM and did the best I could to splice all of the wires back together. The car would not run right until I had all of the wiring replaced to the tune of 3000 bucks. Now I use moth balls when I store it. So I am going to find all of the places that are open to the cabin and bilge and either put wire mesh (in the case of the bilge) or the panels from GW for the ones going to the cabin.

Thanks for the comments guys. Looks like I’m not the only one who has had a critter invasion.

HD

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You may have access from more than just both ends of the gunnel, look up under th bridge console and at the side bridge walls at their base.