Kicker mount

Pighunter

Reaction score
My Panther kicker mount just arrived
after 2 months. So I have a couple of questions for you people that mounted a kicker on your 228. I'm mounting my Yamaha T8 on the starboard side of my swim step. How did you run your cables and fuel hose? I don't want to just run them over the stern. Also I have to drill two bolt holes through the stern, should I use 4200 to seal it?
20200915_164419.jpg
I would like to run cables through the black tube if theirs room, but I would have to run through the bottom of the main motor?

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sure, 4200 would be perfectly fine to use for sealant (don't use 5200!). Boat Life LifeSeal or LifeCaulk is also excellent.

Use a separate/new rigging tube. I can't imagine how you'd get the cables fished into the big motor and then through the existing rigging tube. Check out TH Marine for some alternate rigging tube styles.

Reactions: Pighunter

Pighunter

Reaction score
Sure, 4200 would be perfectly fine to use for sealant (don't use 5200!). Boat Life LifeSeal or LifeCaulk is also excellent.

Use a separate/new rigging tube. I can't imagine how you'd get the cables fished into the big motor and then through the existing rigging tube. Check out TH Marine for some alternate rigging tube styles.
Perfect, that's what I needed.
Thank you

Timcan

Reaction score
Pighunter where did you buy the bracket that looks great? I have the same setup and I’m thinking of doing the same.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Once it's mounted and you hang the kicker on it, let us know if the swim platform flexes any. Looking at going to a kicker for walleye fishing but was looking at the Pooderbuilt mount which is more expensive but has a bracket that goes under the platform for support.

Screenshot_20200916-090639_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200916-090658_Chrome.jpg

Pighunter

Reaction score
Pighunter where did you buy the bracket that looks great? I have the same setup and I’m thinking of doing the same.
I ordered through Bass pro, just log in to bass pro and search for PANTHER MOTOR MOUNT

Pighunter

Reaction score
Once it's mounted and you hang the kicker on it, let us know if the swim platform flexes any. Looking at going to a kicker for walleye fishing but was looking at the Pooderbuilt mount which is more expensive but has a bracket that goes under the platform for support.

View attachment 16074

View attachment 16073
This one has a bracket underneath also although not as elaborate though. I'll post pictures later.

Pighunter

Reaction score
Please do. Haven't decided which mount to go with. Checking the options.
Here's a few more pictures, I haven't drilled and bolted to the boat yet it just sitting there. It's 1" square tube like I said it's not as sturdy looking as Pooderbuilt but I think it will be fine. My motor should be back next week (been in shop rebuilding the power tilt) and then I will update with pictures.

Panther doesn't do a very good job showing the bracket under the swim step. I actually was hoping it had a support because I couldn't verify before ordering.
20200916_084514.jpg20200916_084507.jpg20200916_084519.jpg

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I think you're good to go with that support. The reality is that you're only putting an 8HP engine on there. The platform easily holds your weight, right? It doesn't create that much thrust that it would be an issue. You can take an extra step, though, just for good measure, and use larger backing plates on the underside of the platform. Some flat, SS or aluminum bar to spread the load over a larger area would do it. A large square of starboard with large fender washers would work, too.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the Pooderbuilt on my 228 and it is great. I put a G10 plate under my swim platform for added strength, and I have no issues at all. I did not use the bracket as I do not tow with my outboard on which is a Yamaha 9.9 HT.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have the Pooderbuilt on my 228 and it is great. I put a G10 plate under my swim platform for added strength, and I have no issues at all. I did not use the bracket as I do not tow with my outboard on which is a Yamaha 9.9 HT.

How hard is the 9.9 to handle taking it on and off. Was planning on doing the same.

Pighunter

Reaction score
How hard is the 9.9 to handle taking it on and off. Was planning on doing the same.
My last boat I had a 2014 Yamaha 9.9 high thrust, I thought I would pull it on and off also but it's not that easy. If I was going across country I would pull it off but it's not feasible to do it a lot. It had 4 bolts connecting it to the mount and it was heavy and awkward

Divajean

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My last boat I had a 2014 Yamaha 9.9 high thrust, I thought I would pull it on and off also but it's not that easy. If I was going across country I would pull it off but it's not feasible to do it a lot. It had 4 bolts connecting it to the mount and it was heavy and awkward
My boat had a 9.9 Yamaha 2stroke originally, motors long gone,but I got a Honda 8 on a job n boat,do y'all think it's too heavy,my batteries are on same side as my bracket

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

It's not too bad, it weighs around 112lbs. I take it on and off when I'm at the boat before I launch it. I slide it out of my truck and then carry it to the mount on the platform. Talking to the owner of Pooderbuilt, he said the extra brace underneath is primarily if you are trailering with your motor on. He said while trailering your swim step will talk all the abuse. While is the water running he said there is very little and not to worry since I added a big G10 plate under the platform.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Will you please describe what a G10 plate is. I have a Yamaha 8 HP High Thrust mounted on my swim platform like the picture shown with a different bracket. I will contact Pooderbuilt to see if they will sell my the bracket underneath that was shown. I purchased a Panther bracket for trailering.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Think I'm going with the Pooderbuilt mount with support bracket. Cleaner install to me. I'm sure the Panther bracket would work, but not a fan of the support arm arrangement.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Think I'm going with the Pooderbuilt mount with support bracket. Cleaner install to me. I'm sure the Panther bracket would work, but not a fan of the support arm arrangement.
You will not be disappointed.