Kicker on 228??

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a line on a brand new Yamaha 9.9, High thrust, 25" shaft, that I can pick up for a very good price.

Will be mounted on a Pooderbuilt bracket on my swim platform.

Is the 25" too long or the preferred length?

Thanks.

162_0025.jpeg

Reactions: Ryhlick

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Your setup will work well. Had a 25” kicker on my 1992 228. Lifting that motor to tilt it out of the water was a back breaker. I eventually removed mine as I never needed it.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey Ky,

My Honda 9.9 Hight Thrust shaft is also 25".

I think it is perfect.

Good luck closing your deal, these 9.9 kickers are gas sippers and quiet.

mjm1957

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How do you keep that boat so clean? I have a 1999 228 and it is a never ending job to stay on top of the cleaning.That boat looks almost new. Jealous.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How do you keep that boat so clean? I have a 1999 228 and it is a never ending job to stay on top of the cleaning.That boat looks almost new. Jealous.

Well,,, that's not my boat. Just a picture of one with the kicker bracket I'll be using. I do try and keep mine clean and hopefully it'll look close to new here in a few weeks, having the gelcoat detailed.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin

Don't let him kid you; KY's boat looks as good as the one your referring to. His procedures should be required reading on how to keep a Grady in fightin' shape even when towed through multiple states.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a line on a brand new Yamaha 9.9, High thrust, 25" shaft, that I can pick up for a very good price.

Will be mounted on a Pooderbuilt bracket on my swim platform.

Is the 25" too long or the preferred length?

Thanks.

View attachment 18673
I have the same pooderbuilt bracket on my swim step, with the same motor. There are zero issues with 25" shaft hi-thrust. I opted not to put the bracket on under my swim step after talking with the pooderbuilt guy several times. He said if I was going to be towing with the kicker on, definitely install the bracket. I did install a good size piece of G10 board under the motor mount to help strengthen things. He said when you're in the water there is very little force on the swim step being that everything is moving. I have been running like this for 4 seasons now with zero issue.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have the same pooderbuilt bracket on my swim step, with the same motor. There are zero issues with 25" shaft hi-thrust. I opted not to put the bracket on under my swim step after talking with the pooderbuilt guy several times. He said if I was going to be towing with the kicker on, definitely install the bracket. I did install a good size piece of G10 board under the motor mount to help strengthen things. He said when you're in the water there is very little force on the swim step being that everything is moving. I have been running like this for 4 seasons now with zero issue.

You by chance have any pictures with your kicker on??

Timcan

Reaction score
Very interesting I’m also in the process of installing a 9.9 Suzuki. I’m having a similar bracket custom made with the underneath brace. KY Grady what are you going with for steering and throttle on the kicker?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Probably a tie bar setup for now. I'll use the tiller control for throttle right now until I get some time using the kicker, and then possibly look into something more user friendly.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've seen that set up and it works great. Shaft lengths are 15, 20 and 25" so you are looking at max length.