Kicker on a 228.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
So if you have seen my recent post, I tried trolling mode and it was not so much. Way too fast. As someone said, troll in the opposite direction to see if wind/current was part of the problem. I did that, turned around, no joy, same problem.

I don't like the wind sock, smaller prop options so I'm looking at a kicker and have questions.

I really want light weight, the boat, with two people, already lists to port because of the batteries. If I put a kicker on that side it will list more (my dealer says do it anyway because it will balance out when you solo. I don't trust my dealer at this point).

Yamaha makes a 6HP that is 59 pounds with the 15" shaft (I suspect I need longer). Will a 6HP motor move my 228 (5300 pounds loaded) at 3mph?
Anyone actually tried it and are you happy?

Reactions: Timcan

Joez

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I run an older Yamaha T8 on my 226, and that's about as small as I'd go. The T8 great, as it does swing a bigger prop and is geared differently than a regular 8. Any of the high thrust 9.9's or up will do well.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 226 had batteries to port. I moved them both to starboard side. Now rides level with two ppl. Slightly to starboard by myself. The prop torque leans boat to port. The batteries for some reason are on the port side making it worse. All this while on plane. If I was you I would put the kicker on the starboard side. Two 27 group batteries weigh 100 lbs.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I will give you my thought on this, get a 9.9hp high thrust. Don't worry about listing as much as what you need the motor to do. Your boat is gonna list with people on it depending how many and where they are placed, and people are always moving around.

I would agree with your dealer that you should set up the kicker so when you are alone, the boat is pretty level.

A) Troll at speeds you need and is capable of going .08 mph to 6mph.

B) Strong enough to keep you out of trouble should the main engine fail. A 6HP cannot safely do that in ocean swells.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
My 226 had batteries to port. I moved them both to starboard side. Now rides level with two ppl. Slightly to starboard by myself. The prop torque leans boat to port. The batteries for some reason are on the port side making it worse. All this while on plane. If I was you I would put the kicker on the starboard side. Two 27 group batteries weigh 100 lbs.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I list to port on plane. And I have 39 pounds of downrigger balls I can move from side to side to tweak it.
So you have batteries to starboard and kicker to port side? And you want me to leave the batteries and do kicker to starboard.

You agree with other people, high thrust 9.9? I was thinking electric tilt and get the rod that ties it to the main motor so you can steer, deal with the throttle on the handle.

Joez

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Electric tilt is worth its weight, I love it. Something you can look into as well, is a trollmaster throttle control. I have my electric start and tilt/trim control at the helm, and instead of a biacle and cables, I just shift it at the transom, and use the trollmaster to control the throttle from the helm. Super handy, and was easy to set up.

My batteries are to starboard, kicker to port. Sits level at rest, but does have a slight port list when under power

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
You definately don't want a 15 inch shaft. Prop will be out of the water every time the boat rocks.

I don't even think a 20 inch is long enough on my 228 bracket. You have to bolt a bracket to the bracket to make a motor mount so I'm thinking the T9.9 and linkage so I can steer from the helm.

I just looked, the T9.9 has a carb, I hate carbs. Gotta go see if they make a fuel infected one. Suzuki does I believe.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I know Tohatsu make a 9.9 hp EFI big bore engine and one of the lightest if not the lightest under 100 lb and you can get it in 25" shaft with optional power tilt. I don't know if they make a high thrust . The difference is the gearbox but you can always use a lower pitch prop.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I know Tohatsu make a 9.9 hp EFI big bore engine and one of the lightest if not the lightest under 100 lb and you can get it in 25" shaft with optional power tilt. I don't know if they make a high thrust . The difference is the gearbox but you can always use a lower pitch prop.

Yeah, I've been looking at that. Do people have good or bad stuff to say about Tohatsu? I had one on my Triumph and if I kept the gas clean it worked but I had very few hours.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a XL shaft 9.9T on my 228 and it is perfect. It is not the lightest motor but it will push you up a swell if your main dies. I have mine mounted on the swim platform and it sits well.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Yeah, I've been looking at that. Do people have good or bad stuff to say about Tohatsu? I had one on my Triumph and if I kept the gas clean it worked but I had very few hours.

Just to finish off this thread, I couldn't find a Tohatsu anywhere, went with a nice white (because that's all I could find) fuel injected Suzuki. I'm still dialing it in, the throttle doesn't stay throttled and I have the clamp under the tiller cranked all the way down. Need to poke at that.

Reactions: Ryhlick

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nice, do you have any pictures you could share on the type of bracket you attached to your swim platform? Thanks

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Nice, do you have any pictures you could share on the type of bracket you attached to your swim platform? Thanks

Yes, just stuck them all up here: http://mcvoy.com/lm/boat/

If you want me to upload them to here I can. I got the bracket from my dealer, there is some dude in Oregon (I think) that makes them.

Reactions: Ryhlick

Divajean

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes, just stuck them all up here: http://mcvoy.com/lm/boat/

If you want me to upload them to here I can. I got the bracket from my dealer, there is some dude in Oregon (I think) that makes them.
My 92 seafarer has a tiller mount on starboard, two batteries on starboard, helmet to starboard, question is,won't she lay over with all this weight,I saw original pictures of this boat with the dealer mounted yamaha kicker,its gone but I got a 9.9. Honda I'd like to use,any thoughts.....