KY Grady!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Welcome: Glad you made it safely & the boat looks great. (You must've washed the bugs off before you took the pics in that driveway..)

Wx-wise you have a tad unusual but benign pattern.

The unusual part is the position of the Atlantic Hi, funneling in W to SW winds; This is different, most of the time the Bermuda Hi gives us E to NE to SE morning winds w/ afternoon onshore seabreezes. Another aspect of this type pattern is the possibility of morning showers/tstms coming in off the Gulf, but I'm betting they will not be hard to miss if they occur at all.

The cold fronts wash out near the Panhandle in the summer months; the gradient is not tight since there are no Lows or Troughs near us at the moment, so you should have winds 10kts or less thru the middle, maybe the end, of the week. That will keep the Gulf manageable with seas generally less than 2 feet. If you happen to have a persistent West wind for the balance of a day, the chop will build over the passing hours, but conditions & comfort should still be at least ok. If you run offshore to fish for whatever, you should have a following sea all the way back in.

As the Saharan Dust layer moves on out, (look at the sky next time you go outside to your Seafarer...it's kind of a pastel color with haze mixed in) atmospheric moisture will likely increase, upping the precip chances late week. Even then, isolated to scattered tstms will be the rule along the seabreeze collision boundaries, wherever they set up. If the afternoon seabreezes are enhanced by the West winds, the collision boundary with the Atlantic seabreeze will be more inland, keeping the storms East of I-75 for the most part. If the Gulf seabreeze is not that strong, they may drift back toward the coast once the atmosphere gets loaded up later in the week. (Just watch the sky; if one of the cells has extra MoJo, it can be unpleasant at best and dangerous at worst.)

I was out day before yesterday and the water color is great. In our area, the freshwater outflow turns the adjacent Gulf waters brown, or tannic, but that hasn't happened here yet. Sarasota and the surrounding area will not experience that anyway. Vis close in is 6-7 feet on my sounder near the passes where the tidal flow cleanses the water.

My apologies, I didn't get to the sand islands at Big Sarasota Pass, so I can't say if they are exposed or not. Still, the shallow water will give you a neat sandbar day if you want one. The channel to the Pass is marked and is a short run off the ICW. You pick it up just South of Marina Jack and it's deep water all the way to the sand islands before you enter the Gulf. Again, I believe you can anchor near or West of Green # 13.

Remember, be wary of navigating Sarasota Pass, New Pass and Longboat Pass. They are subject to continual shoaling due to tidal currents & storms. I believe Sarasota Yacht Club still has the latest navigation info regarding Sarasota Pass on their website. The pass has floating ATON's and the personnel move them as the sand shifts around.

Enjoy.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks Magic. We'll probably drop the boat tomorrow. Looks like Centennial is going to be the ramp I use. If you want company one day out boat riding, wife and I would be up for some cruising. Sitting at Marina Jack's right now eating dinner.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I would enjoy a cruise; thanks for the thought, but I am scared of the Covid problem and the accompanying worries about being near people. If we kick the invite into 2021, I'd be happy to meet up if the Pandemic goes away.

Here's hoping you have a great time!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Haven't made it out yet, been actually nice just hanging out. Stayed in the pool all day Sunday then did Siesta Key Beach today and back to the pool tonight. Think we're going out tomorrow to sandbar hop and some fishing.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Those bars are where all you youngsters create Covid hotspots :eek:

Please give us with some pics when you are able and be safe!!

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
KY, I have an air b&b 3 blocks from Marina Jack's. Next time you head that way let me know in advance and I'll block the days you want.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
KY, I have an air b&b 3 blocks from Marina Jack's. Next time you head that way let me know in advance and I'll block the days you want.

Condo or house? We travel with our pups and do VRBO houses that are pet friendly and have a pool.

Appreciate the offer.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No doubt!

I think my joke had poor comedic timing... I hope you enjoy your trip~

And still hoping for some good pics ;)

I knew what you meant.

My personality is leave me alone, I do my own thing.

A bunch of noisy, abnoxious, drunks is not my speed. I enjoy a cold beer, yes, but don't tolerate drunk people real well. Guess I'm old and crotchety that way. :cool:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sounds to me like you were in a bar band. That's exactly the way I am after 30+ years of dealing with inebriated patrons.

It was love/hate. They supported my acts and musical endeavors, but as the years went by, I found it increasingly hard to deal with them. We finally went to straight 3-hour shows non-stop so we were on stage the whole night and didn't have to be in the crowd.

I can't go in a bar to this day.

Anyway, back to your trip; let me know about the Sarasota Pass islands if you make it that way. It is smokin' hot here these days. The local wx forecasters are saying that it will "cool off" into the lower 90's by the end of the week. Funny...

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep, gassing up at someplace called Crazy Papa's, a Marathon station that has Rec 90 that was relatively close to the house.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
All wawa stations have non ethanol gas for around 2.45 a gal. It is 89 octane. My F250 runs great with wawa gas.