Launching with wet tires

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Never thought I’d see the day but I launched the Grady today and retrieved it and it actually needed to get the rear tires in the water on the ramp. :rolleyes:
I’ve launched with my Chevy K1500 and my Jeep Commander and today was the first trip with our new Toyota Tacoma TRDOff Road 4x4. The others never needed to back that far.
Tomorrow I’m going to measure from the center line of the rear tires to the Hitch ball to see what’s up (???).
Anyone ever used one of these? Kinda seems sketchy but if you have what would you say about it?
AD89B831-01E8-4283-B7C9-1DC830820E55.jpeg
3BB643F3-2277-4A27-9FEE-7B36EB527F1B.jpeg

Reactions: glacierbaze

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Ok I googled it and it would seem the extender reduces the tongue weight capacity by 50% ... :confused:

pmgia

Reaction score
Model
Advance
Find another steeper boat ramp.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just install the extension when you get to ramp. I have a super sketchy home made one has 4 feet long for launching my jet ski at the beach.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I saw a video of a guy hauling a boat and he had rubber chocks on the front tires with ropes looped around his side mirrors so when he drove forward the chocks came with but would prevent the backslide. I haven’t tried yet but seemed like it would work.

there are longer extensions too. I agree with Doug - install at the ramp - tongue weight is more important to prevent fishtailing the trailer while driving. for 20-30 ft will not be a problem

wrxhoon

Reaction score
It is never good to lengthen the ball-mount because you increase the leverage on your tow vehicle. If you don't want to put your tyres in the water you have 2 options .
You can get a longer draw bar on the trailer, that also makes the trailer more stable at high speed.
The other option, use bunk slides instead of carpet , they work almost as good as rollers.
I use these :

seasick

Reaction score
I would guess that the height of the ball is lower on the new truck when loaded and on flat ground.
Just measuring the hitch height without a load isn't accurate since the loaded height will vary based on the spring rating of the tow vehicle and of course the hitch height unloaded. It ma be that you need a different drop on the hitch.

My fist thought was tides and that might be a factor but since this was the first haul with the truck, hitch height is more likely the important factor.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Occasionally my rear tires will get wet, but our ramp isn't slippery so it's never a problem.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I do all my own mechanical work so I don’t like creating problems requiring I fix them and dipping my vehicle in salt water isn’t something I want to do.
I launched at low tide so I figured that was the issue but It was high when I retrieved it. Both time the tires got wet. Never had that issue with my other vehicles.
Towing with the extension is out with it reducing the capacity by 50% and I thought of using the extension just at the ramp too. I guess I could get quick at it.
got a feeling the centerline of the rear wheels is much closer to the ball than with the other vehicles.
I’m going to measure today to confirm that hunch.
68D03343-93F5-4D4E-A049-C479021EC66D.jpeg

I will say the Tacoma tows it pretty well though. The new trailer has a lot to do with that having dual axles with stainless brakes on both. Hardly know it’s back there.
Also on the drop, I used a straight ball hitch. Next time I’ll go with a lowered drop to flatten the angle of the bunks In the water to see if it climbs better.
6B0ECC79-6457-4E96-9D06-92F798DCE394.jpeg

Last edited:

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Occasionally my rear tires will get wet, but our ramp isn't slippery so it's never a problem.
Better hose it all down good afterward if it’s in salt as it’s murder on brakes. Also never ever go over the hubs because if salt gets into the ends or thru the vent your in for a $1,000 repair bill for that differential.

Reactions: PointedRose

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Incidentally I just bought a new trailer for my aluminum boat.
It’s 15’ and had a trailer for 12-16’ boats when I got it. Two weeks ago I was working the bugs out of the boat before we were to take it on vacation and the bunk mounts decided to break. They were rotted so ya. Not wanting to handle yet Another project just before vacation I said screw it and bought the new trailer.
(Note *) I went with a trailer to handle a 16-18’ foot boat. This gave me another 2-1/2’ of trailer tongue over the old one. I figured it’d be easier to back up and it’d dunk deeper. I was right ;).
These new torsion spring trailers tow silent behind you too.
(The Grady’s trailer is silent too)
No banging and clanging like leaf spring trailers. This new Loadrite trailer cost me $1,050 out the door and I was able to sell my old trailer as is for $450 so I didn’t make out to bad.
New trailer is obviously under the boat in this pic and though they look close look at the distance from the couplers to the bow support. ;)
F16E7814-3DCF-4A31-8900-04B0C7B46B07.jpeg

Last edited:

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Better hose it all down good afterward if it’s in salt as it’s murder on brakes. Also never ever go over the hubs because if salt gets into the ends or thru the vent your in for a $1,000 repair bill for that differential.
Brackish water, but I do rinse when I get home.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Ok out of curiosity I measured the axle centerline on the Chevy pickup, Jeep Commander and Tacoma.
Tacoma 50”
Jeep 51”
Chevy 56”
Not a lot of difference there. Going to use the drop hitch next time even if the tongue angle is a little low. Perhaps that will bring the rear of the trailer up and the front down enough to load without having to go too deep.
at some point I’ll also have to take note of the receivers height when it’s loaded for all three.
I know my Chevy is the tallest though.
It’s apart at the moment being restored.
4A456403-0C1A-4F22-A965-42B1764FB72E.jpeg

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I use this one for my 208 adventure and 2006 4 runner and 2019 Sequoia. I think it is a 15 inch extender. Also, liquid trailer helps - but be careful, the boat will slide right off!

Hidden Hitch 80232 2" Class III Square Ball Mount​

seasick

Reaction score
Although not a 100% true comparison, the Tacoma measurement would lead me to suspect that the trailer sat lower in the front and therefore higher in the rear. If that is so, you need rise, not drop on the hitch. The 4+ inch difference between all trucks is a lot.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would agree with seasick, that you need to raise the ball, unless when you are launching and retrieving, the stern is floating and the bow is what is stuck on the trailer.
6 inches between the Chevy and the Tacoma is about the length of the extender.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
The Tacoma sits pretty high being the TRD Off Road model and I had the straight mount that day. Thinking it was hanging up on the front target bunks too much, never touched the back of the rear bUnks till I pulled it. If I flatten it’s angle a bit to put the target bunks lower it’ll still glide over the rear bunks. Ether way the guide poles are set perfect to center the boat.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I use this one for my 208 adventure and 2006 4 runner and 2019 Sequoia. I think it is a 15 inch extender. Also, liquid trailer helps - but be careful, the boat will slide right off!

Hidden Hitch 80232 2" Class III Square Ball Mount​

Not really wanting the boat to slide that much on the bunks.
When I’m by myself that was a pain with the roller trailer. I’d load it and have to tie it off While the engine running to keep it from rolling back. The ramps here have nothing between the floating dock and the ramp to step off without breaking your neck so I have to climb over the bow. It’s a real PITA.
That’s one reason I went with a bunk trailer this time. The last
Couple times I launched with the Jeep it all went perfect. The boat glided up to the target bunks, I added a little throttle and it pushed up to the bow roller with very little effort. I killed the engine and it stuck!
Exactly what I wanted. Thought I had the formula for this figured out but the Tacoma put a twist in it. I’ll get it eventually. ;)

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've seen some really nice ladder set ups in the trailer tongue...would be really nice for getting on and off the bow for launching.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Mike - I agree on the slide, but that was the first step I took when I could not back down all the way. It worked, need to be carefull. Next step, get me those few extra inches. I usually do liquid rollers once a year. I usually go with my son, so he helps and our ramp set up is pretty good.