Leaking fuel tanks 306 Bimini

Nypd4861

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Recently purchased a2006 306 Bimini from a private person in Mystic Ct. was told that fuel tanks were just built and installed. Got boat home and smelled fuel in bilge. Had boat pulled, floors and Lean bar removed. The tanks were new forward one was by leaking. Had it removed and repaired along with changing cracked fittings and bad fuel lines. All done boat home for a week and noticed fuel coming out of plug in boat. Another leak. Boat back to mechanic everything taken apart again. This time rear tank leaking on welded spot. New tanks horrible workmanship. At this point going to have new tanks built by a reputable person. The fact that tanks were new was comforting but turns out to be a very expensive nightmare.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Can consider if Poly tanks might be a solution for you. They won’t have the same capacity because it won’t be a custom fit.
Perhaps the new tanks weren’t properly secured, and possibly moved while underway, causing stress on the welds?

Nypd4861

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Can consider if Poly tanks might be a solution for you. They won’t have the same capacity because it won’t be a custom fit.
Perhaps the new tanks weren’t properly secured, and possibly moved while underway, causing stress on the welds?
I guess that is a possibility but the welder who repaired the first leak felt that the tanks were not welded that good.

Reactions: PointedRose

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Tank builders should be certified. I used SP Tanks in Clermonte, NJ. May be too far for you. They built two tanks for me last Summer and advised me how to install them properly.

Reactions: deepwaterdreamer111

Nypd4861

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Tank builders should be certified. I used SP Tanks in Clermonte, NJ. May be too far for you. They built two tanks for me last Summer and advised me how to install them properly.

Whoever the previous owner used did poor work. The previous owner was flipping the boat and looked for the cheapest price. Where the baffles are welded into the tank it is paper thin and a pinhole. Previous owner doesn’t answer my texts. Lesson learned.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Whoever the previous owner used did poor work. The previous owner was flipping the boat and looked for the cheapest price. Where the baffles are welded into the tank it is paper thin and a pinhole. Previous owner doesn’t answer my texts. Lesson learned.

Are their compliance stickers on the tank? You may be able to threaten legal action. Even DIY small claims court.
Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 9.05.45 AM.png

Nypd4861

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
No stickers on tanks. You can see that they are new. My mechanic refuses to put them back in the boat and I don’t blame him. Can’t take that chance. I almost always have my grandchildren on boat.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I could not imagine doing all this work twice. What a mess. Thanks for taking care of the boat and doing it right.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd be on to the seller. I don't think you'll find poly in that size. Keep us informed of what you do and cost.

Nypd4861

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I'd be on to the seller. I don't think you'll find poly in that size. Keep us informed of what you do and cost.
I am having new tanks built by a reputable fabricator. They are not cheap but the boat will be safe.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Dang, that sucks!

Just a quick question as I am in the market for a 306 Bimini/Canyon.
You could pull the tanks without cutting any fiberglass, just removing bench and fuel tank cover?

Chris

Nypd4861

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Yes it is not that terrible. Bulkhead between the tanks has to be cut out. The guy I bought the boat from sprayed foam between the tanks to keep them in place. My mechanic had the bulkhead fiberglased back in. He felt the foam would hold water and rot tanks. Grady does it right.

Attachments

• IMG_4118.jpeg
    IMG_4118.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4594.jpeg
    IMG_4594.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4088.jpeg
    IMG_4088.jpeg
    733 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5118.jpeg
    IMG_5118.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Thanks Man!
That is a huge advantage of the Bimin and most/all GW boats, too much boats on the water where pulling a fuel tank lead to thousands for a fiberglass shop to cut the deck and glass it back in after the new tank is installed. Not sure why engineers do that, my first guess is "I don't mind" and second guess is that some believe if the fuel tank is glassed under no water will drop on it what is theoretically correct but real live show that this does not work.
I was to go to Corsica to see a beautiful Pursuit 337OS but fortunately I did a search and stumbled over a 2 part video from a fiberglass shop who did that job and that steered me to tell owner that I drop out.

Chris

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
im going through this with my Chase. the previous owner replaced the tank with a backyard build. no cert sticker and some questionalble finishing touches. i found this out after finding fuel in the bilge and failing a pressure test. turns out this tank had a cracked weld. going with a certified marine fuel tank fabricator is the ONLY way to do it. if you dont have a place yet, i have a great place in NJ doing mine now. they use 100% american materials (including filler rod for welding), fully welded baffels, strengenthed mount plates for sender/pickup, and more. Atlantic Coastal Welding.

it sucks, but you will have more peace of mind than before.

Nypd4861

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
im going through this with my Chase. the previous owner replaced the tank with a backyard build. no cert sticker and some questionalble finishing touches. i found this out after finding fuel in the bilge and failing a pressure test. turns out this tank had a cracked weld. going with a certified marine fuel tank fabricator is the ONLY way to do it. if you dont have a place yet, i have a great place in NJ doing mine now. they use 100% american materials (including filler rod for welding), fully welded baffels, strengenthed mount plates for sender/pickup, and more. Atlantic Coastal Welding.

it sucks, but you will have more peace of mind than before.
A shop not that far from my home that is coast guard certified was recommended to me. I took the other tanks there for them to match and saw a few tanks they built. The workmanship seemed much better. Hopefully done in two weeks and reinstalled back in boat for the last time.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Only way to go. Crazy what some will do to their boats to save a few dollars.

Munrobr

Reaction score
Model
Advance
Recently purchased a2006 306 Bimini from a private person in Mystic Ct. was told that fuel tanks were just built and installed. Got boat home and smelled fuel in bilge. Had boat pulled, floors and Lean bar removed. The tanks were new forward one was by leaking. Had it removed and repaired along with changing cracked fittings and bad fuel lines. All done boat home for a week and noticed fuel coming out of plug in boat. Another leak. Boat back to mechanic everything taken apart again. This time rear tank leaking on welded spot. New tanks horrible workmanship. At this point going to have new tanks built by a reputable person. The fact that tanks were new was comforting but turns out to be a very expensive nightmare.
I gave a Grady 247 Advavce with a 151 gallon tank that I had to replace. Purchased one from Welders World Miami Fl. 305-778-1221 They mfg all Grady tanks. Incredible quality. My 151 gallon was $2599. It has all the required certifications stamped on it.

Nypd4861

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I gave a Grady 247 Advavce with a 151 gallon tank that I had to replace. Purchased one from Welders World Miami Fl. 305-778-1221 They mfg all Grady tanks. Incredible quality. My 151 gallon was $2599. It has all the required certifications stamped on it.
Thank you. I just picked up the new ones. Stamped and certified. You can visibly see the craftsmanship on them.