LED spreader lights recommendations

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the pics Bob! Looks great! Bigger than I would have thought, but looks good though!
Will have to do this as winter project for sure! Got to figure out where to mount the switch though!
Based on the light on the water, assume when running, the bow will lift and then light is showing more outward right?

Also, did you use the relay that Aurora sells or wire it direct to 12v system and switch?

Last edited:

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the pics Bob! Looks great! Bigger than I would have thought, but looks good though!
Will have to do this as winter project for sure! Got to figure out where to mount the switch though!
Based on the light on the water, assume when running, the bow will lift and then light is showing more outward right?

Also, did you use the relay that Aurora sells or wire it direct to 12v system and switch?
Yes, I angled it so it's facing down at idle speed and it lifts up to be horizontal when I'm on plane. It looks like the switch they provide has some sort of voltage regulator in line, I didn't have time to figure it out so for now I just connected their harness to a 12v source and left their switch dangling under the helm until I have time to wire it into my panel.

One more pic of where the electrical wire penetrates the hull. This was probably the most challenging part of the install since the only way to get to it was from inside the anchor locker drilling out, otherwise I would have needed to remove the pulpit which would have been a deal breaker for me.

Attachments

• 20201123_095843.jpg
    20201123_095843.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 21

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks Bob, in regards to the hole in the forward gunnel under the pulpit, mine already has one fortunately since the former owner must have had something running through at one time. I had sealed it off with a plastic insert, but should be easy enough to remove and then run wires and caulk like you have done.

They have the $29 40amp relay wire harness with small round switch. I think that will work for me. The small round switch should be easy to find a spot to mount it I think. They even use marine tinned wire in the harness, so seems like a quality product!

Fishtales

Reaction score
The lumitec lights are very nice quality. The ones that I got (that the powder coat is flaking off a bit) were from someone on THT years ago. They LEDs function fine, just the case/powder coat not so well.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This is why I was reserving the purchase of the lumitec's. Thanks for letting us know about the powder coat. That is the same issue I have with my Dr. Kevin's, even replaced by them, still they lose their coating, corrode horribly and are now starting to separate. Soon, I am sure the light will fail, but somehow still going!

I was looking at the Aurora LED spreaders while checking out the 10" bar light from Seafarer Bob. Reasonable price and sound like really good quality. I am thinking trying them instead of the lumitec's. If they all corrode, then why spend the high price.....

Not sure if anyone has tried out the Aurora spreaders or even knew they were out there. https://offbrandproducts.com/produc...reader-led-light-1-800-lumens-wide-angle-beam

garyroe

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I use Obcursco Pontoon. It has great length. Super simple to use. Just plug in and it’s on. Can easily be connected with additional lengths. Hardware is included to install in any configuration. Perfect as accent lighting or as ambient lighting. You will be very happy with this purchase. Highly Recommended!

O

oliver305

YITAMOTOR LED is also great, you can be assured great visibility as you roam the waters at night. The high-quality LED chips, wide irradiation range, and flood reflector cups all work together to offer excellent visual effects for safe driving. Plus, the LED lights are waterproof, quake-proof, dust-proof, and anti-explosion.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Seafarer Bob, fyi....I just finished installing my 10" light bar under the pulpit, same as you this weekend! It looks like really good quality. Install was a bit tricky as you mentioned, but manageable. I got lucky in that my outer Stantion bolts lined up with the brackets with a very minor mod to the side studs, adding a thin nylon washer with the black one that comes with the light. Just used a 3" bolt instead of the 2-1/2" that I removed and therefore didn't have to drill any new holes!

I also installed new 4" Aurora Marine spreader lights to replace my very corroded Dr. Kevin's and they look great and have a nice beam pattern.

Can't wait to get on the water soon and see how they all perform!

Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Lucky13

Reaction score
Here's the pic of the LED bar mounted under the pulpit of my 228. Note I had to reverse the feet so I made a template to make sure I drilled the holes correctly.
this is great. how has the light held up? I am about to do this. I was going to go with the 10 inch rigid spot. my pulpit has the anchor going thru the middle so I will put this in the front and I was going to put it on top of the pulpit because it would not interfere with the anchor.

Lucky13

Reaction score
Seafarer Bob, fyi....I just finished installing my 10" light bar under the pulpit, same as you this weekend! It looks like really good quality. Install was a bit tricky as you mentioned, but manageable. I got lucky in that my outer Stantion bolts lined up with the brackets with a very minor mod to the side studs, adding a thin nylon washer with the black one that comes with the light. Just used a 3" bolt instead of the 2-1/2" that I removed and therefore didn't have to drill any new holes!

I also installed new 4" Aurora Marine spreader lights to replace my very corroded Dr. Kevin's and they look great and have a nice beam pattern.

Can't wait to get on the water soon and see how they all perform!

Thanks for the inspiration! :)
any pictures of it installed or working at night?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
So boat still with cover, but here are a couple of pics:
1617280621910.png

1617280652698.png

Likely will be a few weeks before I get back down to the coast and not sure when it would be at night.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
this is great. how has the light held up? I am about to do this. I was going to go with the 10 inch rigid spot. my pulpit has the anchor going thru the middle so I will put this in the front and I was going to put it on top of the pulpit because it would not interfere with the anchor.
So far the light is holding up great. My only complaint with installing under the pulpit is my Danforth anchor flukes block some of the light and causes some glare but If I'm doing any more than I quick run I take the anchor off the pulpit and that solves the issue. If my pulpit configuration allowed me to mount it on top I'd consider it but wouldn't want it always directly in my field of view.

I also have another (cheap) bar light with a long cord connected to a cig adapter. Trying to figure out how to make a temporary mount for the bow rail for when I'm making longer night runs. I think I've seen spot lights that mount on a rail but I don't think I'd want that as a permanent fixture.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Bob, fyi...I replaced my Delta anchor with a new Mantus. The angle downward is less than the Delta and does not seem to obstruct nearly as much. I will find out for sure once I can get it down to the water and do a real test at night.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Roberth, Your pulpit is different than mine but I'm interested to see how it turns out.
I almost bought a Mantus this winter but I often anchor in big rocks so I'm afraid it would be more prone to getting stuck (and costly if it does). I get good holding with my Danforth and never lost one rigged break away to the crown.

Lucky13

Reaction score
So far the light is holding up great. My only complaint with installing under the pulpit is my Danforth anchor flukes block some of the light and causes some glare but If I'm doing any more than I quick run I take the anchor off the pulpit and that solves the issue. If my pulpit configuration allowed me to mount it on top I'd consider it but wouldn't want it always directly in my field of view.

I also have another (cheap) bar light with a long cord connected to a cig adapter. Trying to figure out how to make a temporary mount for the bow rail for when I'm making longer night runs. I think I've seen spot lights that mount on a rail but I don't think I'd want that as a permanent fixture.
Glad to hear it is holding up well. I have a 42 inch curved rigid on my hardtop but could not move it back bc of my radar so it works amazing idle speed but at speed forget about it the glare off the bow is blinding so looking forward to this addition because I do a lot of running at night.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Was able to get a couple of updated photos today for better view. I wish they made a cover for the light. Trailering, it gets bugs on the plastic which over time will likely destroy the lens.
1617310210561.png

1617310253540.png

Reactions: angrypirate

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes, there was already a hole and plastic grommet there before from previous owner, so I was able to remove the plug and just push wire through and silicone around it.

henrryy

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I put a pair of these Lumitec LED spreader lights on and immediately loved them! Great coverage, brilliant light, and the dimming feature and colors are terrific! Two was probably overkilled, but the pair practically eliminates shadows and I can clearly see to tie a knot no matter where I am. More than its incredible brightness, I also love how sturdy it is. With IP67 waterproof construction, the light is submersible up to one meter for 30 minutes. The fully-sealed body keeps the water out, protecting the bulb and other internal components.

Last edited: