Life Ring Buoy Mounts

Squid1962

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Wondering if anybody has thoughts on mounting a 30” life buoy ring to the rail on a 330 Express. Any hardware work better than others? Thx

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Another thought... unless you're in an area that specifically requires an actual ring buoy, there are better options. I carry a throw bag. It is MUCH better than a ring in practical use. The bag has 75' (some are 50') of rope piled inside. You hold one end of the rope and toss the bag. The bag itself floats and it goes EXACTLY where you want it and the rope pays out perfectly every time with no snarls. Plus, you have the other end of the rope in your hand so you can pull the person back to the boat. Ever try throwing a ring buoy with a rope attached? It's a snarled mess... and then you have tell the person in distress to "hold on" while you pull it back to the boat and try again. Plus, ever hold a ring buoy in your hand? They're NOT soft! Throw that out there and you run risk of knocking the person out! :oops:

Reactions: Karen Ann IV

Squid1962

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Great points. I have a ring in my skiff. Perfect for floating my quahog basket. True, it is cumbersome and does not store easily. Never thought about hitting the person in the water on the squash. Certainly not the goal when trying to save them. I appreciate your insight. I figured since I had one I’d try to secure it on my Grady. Thx

Fishtales

Reaction score
X2 on the throw bag. I have it mounted between the two stanchon rod holders. I like the idea of a mounted ring, but too big for my boat.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Great points. I have a ring in my skiff. Perfect for floating my quahog basket. True, it is cumbersome and does not store easily. Never thought about hitting the person in the water on the squash. Certainly not the goal when trying to save them. I appreciate your insight. I figured since I had one I’d try to secure it on my Grady. Thx
They're cool and all - typical nautical flair. But maybe it would look better on your office wall? :)

But there are plenty of holders out there to choose from - google for something like "rail mount life ring holder"

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Out of curiosity, does the throw bag fill the coast guard requirement for a throwable cushion? Or do you guys carry both?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Out of curiosity, does the throw bag fill the coast guard requirement for a throwable cushion? Or do you guys carry both?
No, it doesn't. Which is stoopid. It's better than a Type IV throwable (for this purpose), as well. I imagine it's just a matter of time till it gets approved, though. I keep a Type IV onboard to be legal - but I wouldn't even consider using it... throwing a Type IV is like the first time you threw a frisbee - you threw it straight out but it turned 90* in the air and ended up 100' away from where you wanted it to go.. And then what do you do? Tell the person in distress to swim and go get it? ;)

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I haver a ring buoy with an attached throw bag to that so I can both throw a life-saving floating device AND retrieve the person or retrieve the buoy for a better throw. Also, once the buoy is out there on the end of a rope you can navigate your vessel to pull the buoy to the MOB much as you would positioning a tow rope to a downed skier/tuber.

Also, it's a great idea to practice throwing your buoy, cushion, rope bag, or whatever you end up using before you need to be good at it.

Reactions: PointedRose

Fishtales

Reaction score
nope, but it takes up no space and is a good thing to have even with the ring, in fact I have 2. The WM blue seat cushions are good to toss and are remarkably comfortable to sit on if needed.
idk, been around boats for 50 years and an owner 25. If you are proactive with maintenance, a good observer, address issues early, are smart on the water and don't take risk (hard to quantify I know), are observant, give way all the time and have your wits about you under pressure and finally have all and the right safety gear just in case - you'll have an excellent shot at staying safe.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
USCG Life Ring Regs

when i bought my ring last year, i wasnt aware that it had to be orange. (the Chase is 26'11") so i fall in the 26-65 category. also need 60" of line on it

****edit - the above link is NOT applicable to recreational vessels****

Last edited:

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
also remember, its best practice to put your boats name on the life ring (as well as anything thats on your boat and will float)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
USCG Life Ring Regs

when i bought my ring last year, i wasnt aware that it had to be orange. (the Chase is 26'11") so i fall in the 26-65 category. also need 60" of line on it
I "think" that's just for commercial vessels. I've ever heard of that requirement for recreational vessels. That link is just someone's synopsis - it would be good to find the real USCG document.

• Haha
Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
USCG Life Ring Regs

I THINK the ring requirement applies to CG Inspected (commercial)vessels. But I can't backup that statement at the moment

HAHAHA Dennis you beat me...

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My throwable is kept in the same place as skunks picture. I was told at previous CG inspection that it has to be out in the open and within reach at all times. In that location and being right handed I can easily grab it and toss it in a second if needed. When we go offshore I have a life ring with the boats name and doc. number which goes between the helm bubble and the windshield.

Fishtales

Reaction score
They're cool and all - typical nautical flair. But maybe it would look better on your office wall? :)

But there are plenty of holders out there to choose from - google for something like "rail mount life ring holder"
Well said and it didn't save the S.S. Minnow. Just not applicable on a 40' of under boat IMHO.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I've had a 20" Jim Buoy Class IV ring velcro'd to my 180 Sportsman's T Top crossbar, I think it's easier to throw with greater range than a floating seat cushion. I will, however, be investing in a throw bag to attach to it, any recommendations as to length and size of the rope?

How's this gonna work? Which end should of the rope attach to the ring? Or throw them separately?