Listing to Starboard

HolyMoses

Reaction score
I have a 2017 306 canyon. It has twin 300’s. Nothing has been modified. When on plane the boat leans to the starboard so that I have to trim the tab down 2 to 3 clicks or light indicators. This is my 5th Grady and I have never had this problem. It happens every time whether full of fuel or empty. With just me or loaded with people. Has anyone else ever had this problem especially with this model. Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
I find that all planing hulls have some instability when they get up. I've notice my boat leans depending on fuel and passenger weight. If people move from side to side I have to adjust the tabs a bit.
Bennett makes an auto trim module that will self adjust. It could be that the layout of the 306 is more sensitive. Hopefully others will chime in.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
All boats are sensitive to lean when out of the water on full plane . Have you tried turning around and going backwards to see if the lean changes to port or even not leaning at all? I find in open sea with currents she will lean on either side depending on current/wind. If she always leans on starboard you probably have more weight on starboard try loading the port side more.
I try to load my boat so she doesn't lean, I even make someone move to achieve that, I use the tabs to compensate for wind and current, not uneven load.

HolyMoses

Reaction score
I have dealt with what both of you are talking about. This hull always leans to the starboard in calm water with no wind or currents and just me in the boat with no load. I have even taken the mechanic at the dealer with me. He doesn’t understand what is causing it. As I said in my earlier post. I have had 2 20 footers a 27 and a 28 before this boat and never had this issue. The 27 was much narrower than this boat and much more sensitive to weight distribution. All of those boats were Grady’s.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Next time you pull up to a Sandy check the tabs. Do they both deploy the same? There is a spring applying 80#s of force to return the tabs. If one of the o-rings is weak in the actuator it may return a bit.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I have the same issue - 180 Fisherman but I list to port...drives me nuts. on plane, I can run in a true straight line but I still sometimes have that list to the port side. I have not water or rot in the boat.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have a 6 person valise raft in the mid berth that I can adjust (if required). Something like this may be an option for you.

O-SEA-D 2121

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Just bought a 2019 306 canyon, twin Yamaha 300 hp,, pitching,pulling, leaning to starboard, no fuel, topped off, does it all the time, adjusting trim tab all the time to level it, what’s wrong with this boat.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have had some issue like this. Recently had a bad problem caused by one tab with growth between the tab & hull so it did not go up all the way.

Also though, since fixing that, I notice that the trim of the motors has a big effect on lean. Seems worse when the motors are down.
try raising them slowy and give the boat time, see how it reacts.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey Guys, where are your batteries in this boat? My 228 has two and they are in the stern in the port storage area. Thus my boat has a list to the left . Without knowing where your batteries are stored I would say the issue is with the batteries.. that's a lot dead weight confined to a small area. Anyway I tend to need to drop the tab to get the left side up some.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Curious where you fit the two in port storage on your 228? Do you have the oil tank there as well? I have 1 on each side

I noticed that where people sit makes a big difference, even if it’s the same people.

Have you checked to make sure that both trim tabs go all the way down and up, including that their range and position is the same? On my boat, I sometimes forget to put them back up when I leave my fishing spot and get some erratic movement until I reset them.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Smoky has a 4 stroke , no oil tank. Mine are both on the port side as well. Fuel filter on the starboard side, one pump one port and another on starboard.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Family Tradition Fishing

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My question almost feels like a stupid question but what's your setup? I know if both motors are same rotation that will cause the boat to list as opposed to one regular and one counter.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Curious where you fit the two in port storage on your 228? Do you have the oil tank there as well? I have 1 on each side

I noticed that where people sit makes a big difference, even if it’s the same people.

Have you checked to make sure that both trim tabs go all the way down and up, including that their range and position is the same? On my boat, I sometimes forget to put them back up when I leave my fishing spot and get some erratic movement until I reset them.
My 228 has always been a 4 stroke powered vessel.. I bought her new and the OEM batteries ,both are on the port side.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My question almost feels like a stupid question but what's your setup? I know if both motors are same rotation that will cause the boat to list as opposed to one regular and one counter.

you know I thought the same thing after I posted about the batteries. What if both motors rotate the same direction? Is that enough torque to cause the list? It seems it would make steering interesting.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
You guys must use your boats on calm waters without any currents or wind. When the boat is on the plane it doesn't take much to list, I find mine will list with the current and the wind that's why I have trim tabs . I mostly boat in open sea in the Pacific, we get big swells, chop wind and short periods. I mostly worry about wind and short periods when the waves just stand up.
6 foot Swell and up to 15 knt wind is a fairly good day for me. Trim in ( to take advantage of the Grady's sharp entry) when I head out punching into it at 20+ knots and trim up on the way back in the afternoon as 25+ knots. I use trim tabs to keep the boat level both ways ( you don't need much tab down to correct). I never feel unsafe in the 228, uncomfortable yes. My biggest problem on rough sea is trying to stay on my feet while i'm fighting a fish.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
You guys must use your boats on calm waters without any currents or wind. When the boat is on the plane it doesn't take much to list, I find mine will list with the current and the wind that's why I have trim tabs . I mostly boat in open sea in the Pacific, we get big swells, chop wind and short periods. I mostly worry about wind and short periods when the waves just stand up.
6 foot Swell and up to 15 knt wind is a fairly good day for me. Trim in ( to take advantage of the Grady's sharp entry) when I head out punching into it at 20+ knots and trim up on the way back in the afternoon as 25+ knots. I use trim tabs to keep the boat level both ways ( you don't need much tab down to correct). I never feel unsafe in the 228, uncomfortable yes. My biggest problem on rough sea is trying to stay on my feet while i'm fighting a fish.

Well as a matter of fact ,;-), my Grady spends much of her days trapped in Fontana Lake of the Great Smoky Mountains. You really feel the list underway there. A big day on Fontana is when a west wind kicks in and you get 1 foot lake chop! Lol.

You are right though, in the ocean it's really about how to get the CV2 hull to take on quartering seas and finding the sweet spot in head and following seas. The trim tabs can make that hull sing sweetly or not.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Both of my batteries were on port side of my 2005 226. Moved them both to the starboard side. Now it leans to starboard. But level when on plane because of prop torque. Most prop torque is at 12 through 3 o’clock of the prop revolution. Causing a port lean on a single motor application.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just bought a 2019 306 canyon, twin Yamaha 300 hp,, pitching,pulling, leaning to starboard, no fuel, topped off, does it all the time, adjusting trim tab all the time to level it, what’s wrong with this boat.
The first thing that comes to mind is that you may be running with the engines trimmed down too far. This causes too much hull to be in the water and that causes a list to one side. This is very normal. If this is the case, the problem is not the boat - it's the captain ;) Trimming up will level things off. Otherwise, explain how you are running the boat in more detail.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Well as a matter of fact ,;-), my Grady spends much of her days trapped in Fontana Lake of the Great Smoky Mountains. You really feel the list underway there. A big day on Fontana is when a west wind kicks in and you get 1 foot lake chop! Lol.

You are right though, in the ocean it's really about how to get the CV2 hull to take on quartering seas and finding the sweet spot in head and following seas. The trim tabs can make that hull sing sweetly or not.
Are you near knoksville? Not that far from KY. I bought my previous 228 for a lake in Albany she lived on a lift by the lake all her life. Freshwater boats are great.