Livewell install on 1996 grady adventure.

imjus4u2nv

Grady White Model
Adventure
My boat did not come with the factory livewell and I am in the process of installing. I was able to run 3/4 hose from the bilge to the port side icebox (now livewell) using the port PVC tube under the deck (all my wires use the starboard side so this one was empty). This pipe come out under the port passenger seat, after removing the storage trays under the seat, I was able to access the hose and snake it to the round port cover located on the front of the ice box for easy access to add intake. I will be adding another drain as required (will be my last step as I am hoping to try the current drain and a stand pipe - anyone know what size stand pipe or if one with rubber seal). I also have a livewell switch that cycles the pump on an off.

Since I have no seacock on my boat, I was thinking of somehow pulling water woth some plumbing over the transom but with priming issues not so easy. Other option is to install pump on the transom, or put an l bracket off back of boat with the scoop and a pump on top of it so can pump or fill while under way, it this looks ugly.

Anyone install a brass groco scoop on bottom of boat with a shutoff valve? Assuming just need to drill accurately and use some 5200? I really didnt want to drill a hole in the boat but may be best option.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Grady White Model
Seafarer
High speed pickup will probably be your best option. I replaced mine last year after my Florida trip. I crushed mine on the boat lift. Doesn't look overly hard to do after replacing mine. One large hole for pickup and 4 small holes for mounting bolts around flange. Just make sure to place it inboard from your bunks or rollers.

20180722_131731.jpg
20180722_135010.jpg

imjus4u2nv

Grady White Model
Adventure
High speed pickup will probably be your best option. I replaced mine last year after my Florida trip. I crushed mine on the boat lift. Doesn't look overly hard to do after replacing mine. One large hole for pickup and 4 small holes for mounting bolts around flange. Just make sure to place it inboard from your bunks or rollers.

View attachment 8349
View attachment 8350
Seems to be the best option, do you recall how thick your hull was? Grocos come in different lengths.
Anything special with the shutoff valve? Do you use teflon tape (i tend to stay away from tephlon).
Many thanks and good point on the rollers/bunks when positioning. I will also place on opposite side of the transducer to avoid interference.

seasick

Seems to be the best option, do you recall how thick your hull was? Grocos come in different lengths.
Anything special with the shutoff valve? Do you use teflon tape (i tend to stay away from tephlon).
Many thanks and good point on the rollers/bunks when positioning. I will also place on opposite side of the transducer to avoid interference.
I don't use teflon tape on fittings connected to the outside below waterline world, You should use an appropriate pipe thread sealant.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Grady White Model
Seafarer
The thru hull pickup is the 1" ones. The threaded part are all the same length. The ball valves are Apollo's and I used pipe dope, no Teflon tape. Since I've replaced these once due to bad positioning on the boat lift, I installed with 4200 incase of repeat damage.
IMG_1992.JPG