Looked at a 265 Express today, any tips? (Bought it!!)

Salinity Now

Reaction score
Today I went and looked at my first 265, a 2001 model with Z200's and alot of nice options. The boat was in good shape for the age, some worn out cushions, few spider cracks in the corners, roughed up edges on the hard top, rusty sink drains, mildew in some of the tight compartments; but overall in good shape. Are there any particulars things to look for in a 265? The boat is priced ok, but with no trailer I'd have to come in low on my offer, the motors appear in good shape, but the tach gauges w/hour meters only show 35hrs, owner claims they were replaced a while back and says the boat has only about 300+. Do Z200's have the ability to get computer print outs of the total hours like F225's? I would have to have the boat surveyed for sure, but any tips on the model would be great for
owners.

Really loved the layout, I've been thinking of going with another CC, but after seeing how much room
is under the top it really fits my niche of cold weather fishing.

How does that hull handle tight 3ft chop? Ocean swells too, but i see more chop than anything else where I fish.

Thanks for any input.

Kai Lover

Reaction score
Re: Looked at a 265 Express today, any tips?

Definitely get a survey to check the hull and mechanical. I would think 01 motors could be connected to a computer to see hrs, faults, and RPM ranges motors operated at. Any good mechanic would know. Definitely check compression and any corrosion on motors especially shift shaft area and around trim pumps (seals).

Odd for guages to go out with so "few hours"...only issue I have ever seen with yam guage is the trim indicator and that is typically the sender not the guage...

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

The Z200's are the HPDI motors, which the 200's were bulletproof. The best motor Yamaha ever produced(along with the F150). Yes, a mechanic with a laptop can connect to the motor and see all the history.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score

The hours can be pulled by a yamaha tech - good advice is to have them perform a check on both motors.

I have the exact same setup and absolutly love the boat!

Every time I start to look for something bigger, and start comparing specs (livewell size, fish locker size, ect) I always fall right back in love with the boat.

You would be hard pressed to find a more capable 26' boat that includes all of the ammenties, and non out there offer the hardcore fisherman a better package than this (huge fish locker, 250 gallons of fuel, huge live well, seating for five adults comfortable) in the 26' arena.

The boat rides amazing is the rough stuff, can take way more than I can.

It does take a little getting used to operating (usually half a season) as the big trim tabs that are tucked up underneath work with great effectivness - only need the slightless trim to get this boat level.

With the 400 hp on the back the trim is not needed to get up or stay on a plane, unless you are cruising at very slow speeds.

I lived on this boat, with my pregnant wife and 2 year old son, this past summer for 1 month while our new home was being finished. I am not going to tell you it was a picnic, but my boy would do it again and it offered enough for us to get by (cooking, head, sleeping, ect).

I am getting all of my cushions recovered this year as it is a typical wear item for a 10 year old boat.

Good luck and do not hesitate to ask if you have any specific questions.

Tim

Salinity Now

Reaction score

Thanks for info, how do you like those hpdi motors? In the past 5 years I've had two new boats, first one had a sx200, loved the reliability hated the smoke. My last boat had an f250, absolutely loved that motor, I'm not partial to the whole 2vs 4 debate I think both have pros and cons and it's just personel preference in the long run. How about dry ride? My last boat (sailfish 2360) had great ride but was wet as hell, so I really want to get away from that, do you find the seating is cramped under the top? And I noticed there is no bording ladder, how do you climb back in that boat?

I really wanted a 28ft boat to help out with the typical 3-4ft chop I see at the mouth of the Ches bay. How is it the 265 is as wide but almost 3 feet shorter than the 282 yet weigh the same?

Thanks again for any input, it really was a great looking boat, and seems to really suit my needs for year round fishing.

Enough Already

Reaction score

First and foremost, get a professional and trusted surveyor to check it out. Then take a look at his list plus the cosmetics and compare to your skills/budget. I have an '01 and happy to answer any specific questions. Very awesome boat for me. "Weak spots" in my opinion are the head/macerator setup (pump often in need of replacement and $400 if you want to stay stock) and then everything down under the rear deckplate. Hard to get to because you have to cut caulk. I suggest you re-do everything down there all at once - oil tank hold downs (go custom, non metallic), bait pump, washdown pump, all wiring connectors, rods for thru-hull valves and then a small amount of customization to get group 27 batteries and plastic trays in the side compartments. Do a forum search for lots of 265 info and post specific questions if you have them. We got ya covered if you go with the 265! Best of luck.

Enough Already

Reaction score

BTW - you should have a boarding platform/ladder on the port rear or holes where it was!

fishingFINattic

Reaction score

Not all come with the boarding plateform (And mine was not predrilled)- I actually didnt want it as I saw it becoming a potential place to catch the line when fighting a big fish.
To board the board I added a removable three rung post ladder and a grab handle-

The boat cruises at 28 to 30 miles per hour- In a real tight true three foot chop you are not going to cruise this fast -

I often cruise to a local island (Block) with a group of boats, many cabin cruises, some sport fishers, and I can think of a few occossians the group would leave together to head to the island together, and I would get there thinking "What a nice ride out" and others would say thatn they got soaked, or how rough it was. Is it a wet boat? I dont think so, if you are running perpendicular to 15 knot + winds and you are running in any type of seas that throws water you will probally get wet.

One note worthy item to mention, I find that I cannot operate the boat without the front ensign glass in place- the space is too big between the windshield top and hardtop bottom for me to comfortable run with the wind in my face constantly.

I think one would find that the 265 and the 282 can handle similiar seas.

Tim

fishingFINattic

Reaction score

The 200 HP HPDIs are very good motors -
You absolutly need clean fuel with these things (I think most outboards)

I added clear racor 10 micron filters in place of the blue yamaha spin ons, and change every filter in the spring (Including the High pressure VST pump screen).

Really no problems other than the filters requiring change out (there is one additional filter AFTER the VST that threw me for a loop since I didnt know it existed as it is listed as a strainer). Change lower gear unit oil, had the O2 sensors cleaned proffesionaly, had one oil pump transfer pump fail of me, that is really about it - been pretty good.

They have plenty of power and smokle only a little - fine for me -

Tim

eppem

Reaction score

I can't speak about the engines as I have four strokes on my 265 Express but will agree with all previous posters. Best fishing boat Grady has ever made...

There is a loyal group of 265 Express owners on the site. Search 265 and you will find hours of reading and tips. As Tim said, use tabs lightly, most complaints are caused by overtabbing. My only other issue was access the the aft pumps, etc. I fixed that by having a hatch made, (vs the screw down, lift up piece)...

Best of luck, counting the days to 3/1 when my cover comes off and have been herring fishing to keep a rod bent.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

I didn't realise the Sailfish and 265 weighed the same? I haven't been on a Sailfish but would expect a slighly smoother ride due to hull length. The earlier 265's (pre 2003) had 22deg deadrise hence softer riding but a little more tender underway. Later models had 20 deg same as Sailfish.

I find she loves a head sea, (as much as any boat can) as well as on the quarter or stern. The hull is most unhappy broadside on; however careful use of tabs can moderate this.
As the 265's have large fuel capacity as well as space, the ride and handling alters according to weight. I have found that it can handle almost any steep short chop. Just back off the speed a little, tuck the motors in and find a comfortable cruise.

The biggest reason for most fishing enthusiasts to prefer the 265 is the transom layout with the motors tucked in nice and tight. I actually like the boarding platform as it is less likely to cut line than props, chine, tabs etc. I even contemplated getting another for the other side.

I guess we all have our preferences and just need to be sure it meets our primary needs, then you start changing smaller stuff to suit.

Salinity Now

Reaction score

Pending a engine survey and sea trail I'll be the proudof owner of a new to me 2001 265 w/SX250's next week!! Would like a more efficient engine, but for price and condition, it was hard to pass up.

Any real world fuel economy and speeds info with that package? Looking forward to it.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score

Congrats!
fyi - you are buying the most fuel efficient package for that boat!

You are going to see 1.5 mile per gallon fully loaded -

1.7 to 1.8 really light -

both are cruising around 28mph

Tim

Salinity Now

Reaction score

Well its official, Im the proud new owner of a GW 265 (2001) w/OX250's. Wish I could say how great I love the ride and engines etc.....but my trailer has yet to be delivered and so its sitting at their shop on stands.

Looking at the boat the first time, it shows expected age for a 2001, a few things that I want to fix quickly are the numerous plastic latches for the drawers (ive seen the stainless on numerous other models, Im hoping there is a good aftermarket Internet source for those, the local GW dealer wants $65+ for em!!!) Numerous push button latches are going bad too (again plastic). Another biggie that is surprising is the complete lack of a securing method for the cabin door? Nothing to hold the upper lid in place or lock it? There is a simple "bathroom stall" SST latch on the inside to hold the folding door, but nothing for the upper folding lid, is there something missing or is it compression/weight design to hold in place? Looks like the hinges and catches for the port/stbd window vents could use replacing too, they are incredibly loose.

I see in the specs that boat is set up for 3 batteries from the Factory, right now I have 3 lead acid group 24's that Im looking to change. Anyone ever tried the newer AGM batteries and even better will Group 27's fit in that tight space on the corners? I need to go through the electrical diagrams better, is there a a dedicated house battery of the 3 that only power accessories and 12volt system? Never had a boat with twin engines or 3 batteries so I need to learn the set up better.

Got a lot of work to do to get it where I want it, but waiting on a trailer now so I can just put it in the water!!

Enough Already

Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase and best of luck to you. You have purchased a great boat! Couple of answers for you. The folding top door into the cabin is pretty heavy and just lays in place. I have never had any issues with it just laying there, even in very rough seas. The folding vertical door on mine has a rubber strap that holds it open. I had to install a bumper where the door folds back on itself to keep it from rattling. Let me know if you want to see pics. Do your research before buying AGMs! Grady White and Yamaha say that those older motors need regular dual-purpose batteries - call them for details. Group 27s will fit but you need to cut a small notch in a support beam on the starboard side (2 battery side). I have 2 group 27s starboard and one port, plus another tray port for my carry-on deep cycle. I have had great success with Deka group 27M batteries and I believe they are GW recommended. Those stainless drawer pulls are very expensive wherever you get them (if high quality). How many hours on the motors?

Tons of other projects for you:
- replace metal oil tank trays
- upgrade fuel filter mounts to stainless + Racors
- additional rod holders
- bilge helm lights
- bleed steering hydraulics
- deck plate o-rings
- deck plate ring re-caulk
- motor maintenance - clean o2 sensors, water pumps, low pressure fuel pumps, clean VST strainers, plugs, thermostats, lower unit oil change
- anything else the surveyor noted

for starters . . .

Here is some battery switcher info for my boat (I had to write it down a while back because its hard to keep it straight).

Boat Battery Info

Guest Switches port/starboard sides link to motors port or starboard.

On switches, position “1” means that switch(motor) is started from and is charging the starboard battery bank when running.
On switches, position “2” means that switch(motor) is started from and is charging the port battery bank when running.
On switches, position “both” means that switch(motor) is started from and charging both battery banks.

Preferred position is one switch on “1” and the other on “2”. You can switch between the two through the “both” position while running. Never switch through the “off” position while motors are running or serious engine damage will result!!

Hope that helps. Others will come along with additional recommendations for you.

Salinity Now

Reaction score
Thanks Enough, I've been reading up on stuff as long as the site would stay up these last few days pols like we're getting hacked!!). I read alot about the AGM and group 27 fit, I don't mind sticking with lead acid's, but would prefer the 27's. I'm gonna let the local yamaha techndo a full maintenance to start out fresh, then take over on my own. Now I just want to put it in the water, this trailer holding me up is ticking me off!!

Thanks, lots of work to do, but that's half the fun

mronzo

Reaction score
Congratulations! I've had my 2000 265 Express since '03.
I think it's one of the best if not the best 26' cabin boats
out there! The boat can take more seas than I'd care to!
Enjoy and be safe!

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Congrats!
My cabin locks - but when I am running the boat I have the door open and fold down cabin door up -

If you have any specific questions just ask!

Tim

Salinity Now

Reaction score
Well, Ive yet to actually put it in the water, my ship is just starting a shipyard period and its been too busy to get away for any time during the day, but regardless, I finally got the boat trailer fitted under her today, rides really nice on a Venture 13000# tri-axle, my 2500HD (gas) pulled her just fine here in the city area, the real test will be on a road trip (<7mpg, if im LUCKY!!!) Going to the Yamaha shop tomorrow for engine checks, thinking about a Standard Horizon CPV350 plotter/vhf to get rid of the old Northstar and add an extra vhf, also thinking about a Furuno 1715 to mount in the overhead, would love to have another C120 multifunction, but with these new electronics' costs, I can get everything I want in this other equipment for less than just the display of a C120W, seems thats the way to go for now.

Looking at the radar mounting area in the front of the hardtop, Im guessing the hump on top would really impeed radar returns astern of you? Anybody have input on flush mounting the radome to hardtop? I was gonna use a 4degree wedge as I did before on my last boat, but Im already at 12ft-9" trailer height, so I dont wanna use a tower and push it any higher.

Thanks for all the input and ideas, once the engines come back with a fresh start Im actually gonna be able to USE my new boat!!!

Attachments

• trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 2,343
  • trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 2,343