Looking for info

Trophy20002

Reaction score
Well gentlemen it happened. I sealed the deal on an 05 232 with twins. 700 hours. It obviously needs a bit of love, but the seller took good care of it. These hulls are a beast. The sea trial convinced me and the seller couldn't be more accommodating. Leaving Florida tomorrow and it should be in my driveway in a week and a half or so. I also found a reasonable price on shipping to Tacoma which will save me 2 weeks of driving and messing around.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well gentlemen it happened. I sealed the deal on an 05 232 with twins. 700 hours. It obviously needs a bit of love, but the seller took good care of it. These hulls are a beast. The sea trial convinced me and the seller couldn't be more accommodating. Leaving Florida tomorrow and it should be in my driveway in a week and a half or so. I also found a reasonable price on shipping to Tacoma which will save me 2 weeks of driving and messing around.
Strong work! Post a couple of pictures when you get a chance.

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I'm here in the Seattle area and bought an 07 232 back in June and have been outfitting it ever since. Let me know if you have any questions or are looking for recommendations on rigging for NW fishing. Mine has twin 200's and I absolutely LOVE this boat!!

Reactions: Trophy20002

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I went from a GW 208 Adventure to a GW 232 Gulfstream. As others have said, west coast boat pricing is high. I looked on boat trader and other websites, and found a couple 232's on the east coast. I ended up with one from New Jersey and used Uship to have it trucked to Los Angeles. The deal included a new trailer so it was trailered by a 1-ton dodge from NJ to LA. I love the boat, it does take some getting-used-to on best way to trim the boat (bow down :)). I had a motor bearing failure and repowered a couple years after owning it (good opportunities from Yamaha for financing and extended warranty in 2019), and it is working out really well. That is my $0.02.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I went from a GW 208 Adventure to a GW 232 Gulfstream. As others have said, west coast boat pricing is high. I looked on boat trader and other websites, and found a couple 232's on the east coast. I ended up with one from New Jersey and used Uship to have it trucked to Los Angeles. The deal included a new trailer so it was trailered by a 1-ton dodge from NJ to LA. I love the boat, it does take some getting-used-to on best way to trim the boat (bow down :)). I had a motor bearing failure and repowered a couple years after owning it (good opportunities from Yamaha for financing and extended warranty in 2019), and it is working out really well. That is my $0.02.
How much did they charge you to ship the boat from coast to coast, if you don't mind my asking?

Trophy20002

Reaction score
I'm here in the Seattle area and bought an 07 232 back in June and have been outfitting it ever since. Let me know if you have any questions or are looking for recommendations on rigging for NW fishing. Mine has twin 200's and I absolutely LOVE this boat!!
Where did you mount your downriggers? After having a look it seems that the far back corners may not be an option due to accessibility and may not quite have the space for the scotty plates.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Where did you mount your downriggers? After having a look it seems that the far back corners may not be an option due to accessibility and may not quite have the space for the scotty plates.
I know this question is directed towards another member, that being said I always like to give another option when mounting downriggers and their bases. I went with a local company called Burnewiin and used their downrigger mounts/base plates for my Scotty brand downriggers. I think the look is 100x better than the cheap, black plastic Scotty downrigger mounts/base plates that come with their downriggers. It also looks a bit more stock, or from the factory, and if you're crawling over the sides of the boat, you won't hit your knees or shins on the mounts/base plates like you will with the Scotty's. They aren't exactly cheap, but I think it's money well spent and makes the boat look much better. On top of that, I just pulled the OEM rod holders from the factory and installed the Burnewiin mounts in the same place, of which I only had to drill one additional bolt hole. Which to me, I'd much rather do that as opposed to drilling 4 more holes into my new to me boat. Just my opinions of course, good luck with whatever you decide on doing. My uncle's previous boat had the downriggers on the stern and they were a complete PITA to try and access because you had to reach over the rear seats and you'd always smack your shins or knees on them while reaching for them.

Grady White Burnewiin.jpegGrady White Downrigger Mount.jpegGrady White Downrigger.jpegGrady White Downriggers Installed.jpeg

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
And that's the solution I went with as well Trophy. Previous owner had pull the rear stock rod holders and put scotty plates over the holes. I removed those and replaced with Burnewiin mounts (epoxy & gellcoat the scotty screw holes left behind) along with replaced the forward holders with Burnewiin as well. gives me lots of options and I can run the riggers (HP Scottys) in the back or the forward positions, easily remove with a single click, and configure with the riggers and pot puller all at once for those combo trips. Also going with burnewiin rod holders for deep drop halibut fishing with electric reels off the coast.

Does your 05 232 have the large fishbox in the transom or did it still have the molded-in rather than flip-down bench seat?

Trophy20002

Reaction score
And that's the solution I went with as well Trophy. Previous owner had pull the rear stock rod holders and put scotty plates over the holes. I removed those and replaced with Burnewiin mounts (epoxy & gellcoat the scotty screw holes left behind) along with replaced the forward holders with Burnewiin as well. gives me lots of options and I can run the riggers (HP Scottys) in the back or the forward positions, easily remove with a single click, and configure with the riggers and pot puller all at once for those combo trips. Also going with burnewiin rod holders for deep drop halibut fishing with electric reels off the coast.

Does your 05 232 have the large fishbox in the transom or did it still have the molded-in rather than flip-down bench seat?
Ya, the Burnewiin system is pretty awesome. I can't deny that. It may be the best solution, I really don't like having the riggers mounted too far forward. It's just buying trouble in my opinion and this boat has twins so double the trouble. The 05 has the molded transom seat and the box under the driver's seat. After looking at both I actually prefer the 05 style, that's juts my personal preference. I assume that the fishbox is insulated, it's not a huge deal as it doesn't get too crazy hot here in the summer......usually plus the ocean water is generally cold enough to keep fish decent.

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Yes, that fishbox under the helm seat is well insulated often holding ice for a full day or more after my fishing trip - That's the one I use. The large "fish coffin" in the back I use for a "bleed box" and have a fish-cleaning tray mounted on the inside of it. Makes it super convenient to keep all the kill mess in a box, lay the fish (salmon) in the tray, cut the gills and get the gear back in the water while it bleeds out. Then clean the fish and pack it in ice in under-helm fish box. Having that kill/clean box back there with the wash-down hose right next to it is super convenient.

As far as the riggers you're fine in the forward positions. Check the cable angles from the riggers to your props and you'll see it's nearly impossible to get your wire/braid into the props even if you were trying. However the rear position works well too. I haven't settled on a consistent use yet. One of the plusses of using them in the forward position is there is room for a fish fighter and a netter aft of the downrigger ball and release clip leader so you're not bringing your fish right into that tangle / cutoff opportunity and don't need to pull the ball into the boat while landing a fish to mitigate. I do enjoy the flexability.

Trophy20002

Reaction score
Yes, that fishbox under the helm seat is well insulated often holding ice for a full day or more after my fishing trip - That's the one I use. The large "fish coffin" in the back I use for a "bleed box" and have a fish-cleaning tray mounted on the inside of it. Makes it super convenient to keep all the kill mess in a box, lay the fish (salmon) in the tray, cut the gills and get the gear back in the water while it bleeds out. Then clean the fish and pack it in ice in under-helm fish box. Having that kill/clean box back there with the wash-down hose right next to it is super convenient.

As far as the riggers you're fine in the forward positions. Check the cable angles from the riggers to your props and you'll see it's nearly impossible to get your wire/braid into the props even if you were trying. However the rear position works well too. I haven't settled on a consistent use yet. One of the plusses of using them in the forward position is there is room for a fish fighter and a netter aft of the downrigger ball and release clip leader so you're not bringing your fish right into that tangle / cutoff opportunity and don't need to pull the ball into the boat while landing a fish to mitigate. I do enjoy the flexability.
Thanks. That's good info. I don't really troll all that much to be honest. I love catching salmon, but no one in this house like eating them. I would suspect that i spend more time trolling for ling (it's very tedious). It would be a lot easier to net fish from the back with the gear mounted forward and not having to run the gauntlet every time. I do want to utilize the perko rod holders in the gunwales, I refuse to trust a piece of plastic with expensive rods/reels. I've heard too many bad stories about them. This boat is a virgin to downriggers and I only want to drill the holes once. First I have to pick it up, then I can worry about the other things.

Reactions: OceanSun

Trophy20002

Reaction score
It's a done deal, just sitting at the ferry waiting to load and gwt this girl to Canada. Thanks for everyone's input. I'm sure I'll have a million questions to come.

Attachments

• 20231206_063030.jpg
    20231206_063030.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
this is awesome! let us know what you think after a few trips in your home waters

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's a done deal, just sitting at the ferry waiting to load and gwt this girl to Canada. Thanks for everyone's input. I'm sure I'll have a million questions to come.
Awesome job! Did you end up doing the trip yourself or have the boat shipped out here for you? Congrats either way, looks like a great boat and fun to be had!

Trophy20002

Reaction score
Awesome job! Did you end up doing the trip yourself or have the boat shipped out here for you? Congrats either way, looks like a great boat and fun to be had!
I had it shipped to Tacoma. The seller had a friend that does it for a living. In the end it was about 1000-1500 more than I could have done it. It was well worth it. The electric over hydraulic actuator was wired wrong so that cost me another day of messing around, but my tranny is in one piece with a short tow home. There's some fixing that needs to be done, I'm picky about things so I have an easy project to work on. Until I get it off the trailer to paint it. That is a terrible job.