Looking to buy a used 208 Adventure

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
When I sold my old boat, I had one guy come check it out and he drove a small sedan. He asked if I could tow it to his house 45 minutes away. That was a very quick no and that he would need to figure it out if he wanted the boat. I didn't need that hassle when I had many others interested.
Exactly and I had the same thing happen when I sold my previous boat. The guy said he was "very serious" about the boat and drove probably 1.5 - 2 hours to come out and look at it. When he showed up, he was in a Lexus sedan and I very quickly realized that he was in no way, shape or form "very serious" about potentially buying the boat. I even asked him where his truck was and how would he tow the boat back home with the Lexus? He also offered me $20k when my asking price was $27.5k, so you can probably guess how I responded to him after that. People drive me nuts at times, they expect you to take their lowball offer like they're doing you a favor, or they expect to not have to lift a finger and that you'll deliver the boat to them when they're 45 minutes away. Unbelievable.

Reactions: nuclear

Ruddyhair

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks all. After some thought, and weighing needs, came back to the conclusion that I’m really wanting the smaller 208. Seems like a good entry point for what I’m wanting. I’m sure eventually I’ll upgrade, but just seems about perfect for what are looking to do. Going to take the advice of being patient with the under standing that price may not drop anytime soon. That being said, I may look to buy after the season when folks are looking to upgrade or winter their boat. Funds in hand, but being patient for the right deal with the right power.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks all. After some thought, and weighing needs, came back to the conclusion that I’m really wanting the smaller 208. Seems like a good entry point for what I’m wanting. I’m sure eventually I’ll upgrade, but just seems about perfect for what are looking to do. Going to take the advice of being patient with the under standing that price may not drop anytime soon. That being said, I may look to buy after the season when folks are looking to upgrade or winter their boat. Funds in hand, but being patient for the right deal with the right power.
Sounds like a good plan. Best of luck. :)

MA208

Reaction score
Sounds like a good thought process. The 208 is really a big little boat that will serve you well. the right one will come along I’m sure.

Reactions: Ruddyhair

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ruddyhair, just to be clear. The cabins on the 228 and 208 are the same but with the 228 you get a longer deck and a heavier boat, which will probably handle the lumps a little better. I have owned my 208 for 10 years and for what we do it is a perfect fit. Mostly just my wife and I, fishing cruising and some boat camping. Easy to trailer and launch.....so whatever your final decision, you will truly enjoy a well built boat with excellent back up from Grady White. I am the 2nd, maybe 3rd owner and have had questions regarding my 208over the years with very quick replies from the company. Good luck be safe and have fun!!!

seasick

Reaction score
That's using your head! Hopefully something will come along and since you will probably keep a boat for years, one less summer isn't going to make a big difference. Things are in flux. Who knows what the boat market will look like in the near future.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd honestly keep the 226/228 Seafarer in the back of your mind because they are oftentimes so comparable in price to the 208 Adventure, and sometimes they even sell for less money. I don't know about you, but I personally thought my previous boat which was a 21' Arima would be my forever boat. I had it for 4 years and then realized that I wanted something bigger, heavier, drier and that had a smoother ride. My point would be that a lot of people buy something smaller because of the price or because that's what was available at the time, then they realize very quickly that they want a slightly, or even vastly larger boat. Considering that the prices are very similar, or as mentioned above are even sometimes more favorable for the 226/228 Seafarer, I'd definitely still keep them as a consideration in the back of your mind. Have you even been on or walked on a 208 Adventure yet, or taken one for a sea trial run? If not, I'd definitely consider doing so before ruling out the 226/228 Seafarer. In this market, the 208 Adventure's are almost selling for the same price, or more, and oftentimes with less feature than a comparable 226/228 Seafarer. Good luck with the search!

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I also came out of a 17 whaler and now have a 1999 Adv 2080 and love it. Easy to handle and economical. Gets me out, fishes comfortably and gets me back.

That said, I would love a 228 with a closed transom for all the reasons mentioned.

Ruddyhair

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Appreciate all the thoughts and advice friends. Thankful for all your help. And yes, I’m definitely open minded enough to consider a 228 for sure. Especially at the right price. That said, I’m going to be focusing on finding a 208 with 4 stroke power. Like mentioned, it has about the same size cabin as the 228, which is a plus to me. And yes, you’re right, the enclosed transom of the 228 is awesome, so there’s that. But the extra deck space may not be as useful to me. Truth be told, I have not been on either, but plan on making that happen. Needs to be part of my homework for sure. Just need to find someone local lol! My thoughts were that since my daughter and wife won’t always accompany me, it might be a little easier to launch and manage by myself. Plus a Yamaha 200 4 stroke would be good on gas, and motivate it well. Maybe I just need a fishing buddy lol. Anyhow, those were my thoughts. Learning more everyday.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Appreciate all the thoughts and advice friends. Thankful for all your help. And yes, I’m definitely open minded enough to consider a 228 for sure. Especially at the right price. That said, I’m going to be focusing on finding a 208 with 4 stroke power. Like mentioned, it has about the same size cabin as the 228, which is a plus to me. And yes, you’re right, the enclosed transom of the 228 is awesome, so there’s that. But the extra deck space may not be as useful to me. Truth be told, I have not been on either, but plan on making that happen. Needs to be part of my homework for sure. Just need to find someone local lol! My thoughts were that since my daughter and wife won’t always accompany me, it might be a little easier to launch and manage by myself. Plus a Yamaha 200 4 stroke would be good on gas, and motivate it well. Maybe I just need a fishing buddy lol. Anyhow, those were my thoughts. Learning more everyday.
I think you're going about it the correct way, with a good attitude and it's always nice to have a few different options of boat models to pick from instead of only one. Where abouts are you located? This is a great forum and when I flew from Seattle out to Maryland to buy my boat last October, I asked if anyone was local and that knew a fair amount about Grady White's as this would be my first. A member on here Italian Angler offered to look at the boat with me as he lived nearby where the boat was listed, of which I graciously accepted after buying him lunch in exchange for his time and knowledge on the boat. If you put your location down on your profile and asked if anyone nearby had a 208 Adventure on up to a 228 Seafarer I'd bet if someone lived nearby they might offer to let you come and walk around on their boat to see how you like it. Or at least if you lived in the area near me, I'd have no issue with helping out a fellow forum member. With regards to the size of boat you're looking for and launching it... it's always nice to have a buddy to hold onto the boat while launching it or having them drive the truck and trailer to park it while you're holding onto the boat. I upgraded to my current boat from a 21' Arima and neither boat is too terribly difficult to launch or retrieve solo. It's always considerably easier when having a buddy help out, but not really needed. And c'mon... when you buy a boat everybody comes out of the woodwork to be your new best buddy haha. Even people you haven't talked to in years are suddenly asking to go out fishing with you. So you probably won't have to look too far for a fishing buddy lol. When I bought my first boat I had people texting me and messaging me on social media asking when I was going to take them out fishing :D

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Check CL Boston Boats

There are two 208s and two 228s (one 228 looks to be an I/O).

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
There is a 2017 on Craigslist for 39K+ around New Orleans. Not many details, most likely a scam.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There is a 2017 on Craigslist for 39K+ around New Orleans. Not many details, most likely a scam.
I'd bet some serious coin that it's a scam. What's a brand new 208 Adventure sell for? $100k? Roughly $60k off on a boat that's 5 years old seems a bit unlikely, and the pictures look like they've been saved from someone else's ad.

v8boatbuilder

Reaction score
Another 208 owner chiming in. Fantastic boat in almost all ways, biggest downside is the gap between the two helm seats is narrow for a full-bodied American. As others have said, it's a big "small boat" but very easy to trailer. We've had ours up to Maine and out to Indiana she tows easy. Lots of overnights with 1 adult and 1 kid. Lots of fish caught.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Another 208 owner chiming in. Fantastic boat in almost all ways, biggest downside is the gap between the two helm seats is narrow for a full-bodied American. As others have said, it's a big "small boat" but very easy to trailer. We've had ours up to Maine and out to Indiana she tows easy. Lots of overnights with 1 adult and 1 kid. Lots of fish caught.
It's fairly similar on my 228 Seafarer as both boats only have an 8' beam, but at least with the newer Seafarer's you can remove the armrests on the inside of the seats to give you some more room. I haven't done that yet, but I plan on it in the next couple of weeks as yes, I'm about 6'2" tall and about 265 lbs or so, and the rest of my fishing crew is similar in stature. My previous boat was a 21' Arima, and I personally didn't really want to go any smaller than that, along with not wanting to have a motor-well or notched transom. So, the 228 Seafarer checked off all of the boxes for me and have loved it so far. Although, my uncle had a 26' Bayliner Trophy before I had my Arima so I'm used to trailering, launching/retrieving and captaining larger boats, so the 228 Seafarer wasn't an issue or concern for me. It's also nice because I have my boats on a mooring buoy for weeks/months at a time and have a younger niece and older parents, which make me feel more comfortable with having the enclosed transom and transom bracket.

Reactions: pnw208

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Times 3 on the space between helm seats. That is my only gripe with my 208. Other than that I love the boat. I agree with all the other 208 comments. It is a bigger feeling 20 foot boat.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk