Looking to buy Marlin any advice?

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks FT. I am doing a lot of research, good & bad, but overall, believe GW WA Cuddy is right one. I was surprised to hear about so much chipping of hardtop and box covers. Maybe there were some Hot/Cold issues and a bad batch finish on the one mentioned above?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think it is more of a construction issue if you ask me. GW uses fairing compound (basically automotive bondo) on the edges as it is easier to shape and press in the mold. These parts are Resin Transfer Molded (RTM) per GW. It basically is a mold sandwich. If you look at the flat edge, it is somewhat porous. I believe water gets wicked up and in some cases doesn't evaporate in time. May happen more often during the winter months and with thawing and re-freezing more likely. If shrink wrapped or covered well, the risk is greatly reduced. I have zero issues here in the NE. I think this is more a construction, material construction and environmental issue more than a bad batch issue.

Problem 2 is the coring. Not sure why, but the coring was/is (not sure if this has been changed) pieces of wood. While not a problem in theory, there is a lot of end grain and way for water if it gets in to basically get wicked into the wood and turn to mush over the years. I would like to see a solid single piece of non-wood coring material in the hatches and all decks if not done today.

Hopefully both will get fixed.

jiavarone

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Wife and I are starting to look for what I think we have settled on and it’s going to be a Marlin. I really like the 2000-2003 with the molded in bench seat since we really don’t fish much the lack of a big fish box is not a big deal to us. We looked at 3 so far and each one had chipping around the edges of the hardtop is that an easy fix? They also had some staining on the inside headliner carpet from I assume the cabin windows leaking at some point and was wondering if new windows are available and has anyone ever replaced the carpet around the ceiling? Two were nothing I would consider but one 2000 had 2016 Yamaha 300 digital motors and was in very nice shape for the age of boat. Just wondering what we should be looking for even before we get a survey done. We are looking to hopefully spend less than 100k and realize it won’t be perfect but I am sure we can find something. Is buying a almost 20 year old boat that we will probably keep for at least 10 years smart or try and find something around a 2005-2007 even if it cost a little more? Any advice would be great.

hi new to the forum, the 2000 grady marlin with 2016 300 you saw, is that the one in Maryland being sold be Knot 10 yacht sales? did you ever go look at it? any issues you remember, looking to purchase my first grady, thanks Jonathan

Another Distraction

Reaction score
I currently have my 90's marlin all apart installing air condition. All looks great. I'm very happy with the Grady quality. Tabbing, dry core, foam, wire runs, bulkheads all glassed over..... no glass splinters in my arms either.

teaklejr

Reaction score
hi new to the forum, the 2000 grady marlin with 2016 300 you saw, is that the one in Maryland being sold be Knot 10 yacht sales? did you ever go look at it? any issues you remember, looking to purchase my first grady, thanks Jonathan

Yes that's the one, it was a very nice boat especially for a close to 20 year old boat. Don't really recall anything that stood out but we did only hop on it for a few minutes didn't even go for a ride I do think the price seems a little high even with the newer motors We just decided that we wanted one that was at least a 2004 and are still looking but are in no rush as we still love our current boat. Good luck on the search.

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I bought a 2004 marlin about five years ago. Moved up from a 22 foot Grady. The reason I picked 2004 was the cockpit layout and I knew the transom was built for four strokes. The boat checked out fine with the surveyor. I had the 225s checked for the corrosion( approximately 250 hours on the engines in the northeast) as part of the survey and it had corrosion issues. The correction kit was done for about 4k if I remember correctly and the engines ran awesome. The F225s were fine for the boat. I think the boat is better with the Newer 300s. I personally loved the size- big enough to bring a good group fishing or cruising but something I could get comfortable handling myself. Great cockpit for this size boat. I enjoy having a cabin. Love my bow thruster. Other than updates (electronics etc), no real issues with the boat. Very happy with the boat.