Manual Winch

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Good evening, Any recommendations on a manual winch for a 1990 Marlin 28? Thanks Glen

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I knew SOMEONE would go there!

Winches, or Wenches aside, I've always liked the Dutton 2-speed model. It has a removable crank handle and you can go between higher and lower gearing to suit your ramp incline and other factors that come into play while launching/loading.

The Marlin is a heavy rig and I would certainly opt for the 2-speed model. Dennis, you've used one haven't you? I seem to remember us talking about it a year or two ago.

If your talking about another type of winch aboard the boat that has nothing to do with trailering, I'll bow out.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The Marlin is a heavy rig and I would certainly opt for the 2-speed model. Dennis, you've used one haven't you? I seem to remember us talking about it a year or two ago.
Sure, I've used a "few" of them over the years... ;) But to be honest, I thought that maybe he was referring to some type of manual windlass or something for fishing... hence the need for clarification. I hate typing a response only to find out later it was a waste of time.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
What type of winch are you referring to (purpose)? "Winch" can mean different things to different people.
I usually never tow my boat, stays in the water til Dec, then I pull it and store it on the marina lot. Same price a year, land or water. This year they started charging 700 extra to keep in yard during winter months. The winch on it now is electric, and totally rusted out when I bought the boat with trailer, but I never planned on towing, since I was leaving it at marina. But for 700 bucks, I'll bring it home and store it here. So I just need a reliable winch that will hold boat, that will probably be stored in my driveway, with a slight incline. Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ah, OK - a TRAILER winch. Arguably, the two biggest manufacturer's of winches -- we can forgoe the "trailer" part from here on out... ;) -- are Fulton and Dutton Lainson. Either will work just as well as the other. The general rule of thumb is to get a winch with a rated capacity of approximately 1/3 of the boat's "wet" weight. Once you know that, you can look at features and benefits and see what makes sense for you. A 2-speed winch is pretty much a necessity, though. You'll want to use an HD strap (usually these are yellow and have at least a 4K or 5K lb working load). If you don't already have it, make sure you have a safety chain and proper tie downs for the stern eyes to trailer. Don't worry, equipped like this, there is zero chance of your boat rolling off the trailer.

seasick

Reaction score
Ah, OK - a TRAILER winch. Arguably, the two biggest manufacturer's of winches -- we can forgoe the "trailer" part from here on out... ;) -- are Fulton and Dutton Lainson. Either will work just as well as the other. The general rule of thumb is to get a winch with a rated capacity of approximately 1/3 of the boat's "wet" weight. Once you know that, you can look at features and benefits and see what makes sense for you. A 2-speed winch is pretty much a necessity, though. You'll want to use an HD strap (usually these are yellow and have at least a 4K or 5K lb working load). If you don't already have it, make sure you have a safety chain and proper tie downs for the stern eyes to trailer. Don't worry, equipped like this, there is zero chance of your boat rolling off the trailer.

Zero chance???
Many moons ago when I was new to launching on a ramp, I had by boat staged and ready to back into the water. I was using a two speed winch. The winch was of course in retrieve mode and snug with the safety chain attached.
Before I backed the trailer down the ramp, I decided to remove the safety and flip the lever from retrieve to pay out. Wham, The handle wacks me and started spinning like crazy as the boat slid off the trailer (a roller model) The boat landed on the concrete ramp a few feet short of the water. Needless to say, I had some damage to the keel area that required glass work and a new garboard drain. To make matters worse I had to leave the boat where it landed until the tide maxed out. Fortunately there was enough water to allow me and some friends to slide the boat into the water so that I haul it. Boy did I feel dumb. Since I've come to learn I am still capable of making dumb mistakes.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's just too weird. I say weird because I saw pretty much that same thing happen on a ramp about 10 or 15 years ago! Guy was backing down his rig (roller trailer) which was some older, no-name 20'-ish cuddy and did not even have a safety chain. He got part way down and the strap gave out. The straps, especially the cheaper ones, get degraded by the sun. Just the first foot or so as that is all that's exposed. It's so easy to tell, though, since the color of the strap fades quite a bit. Why owners don't pay more attention and either cut off the first two feet and reattach or just buy a new $15 strap... I'll never understand. Back on track... The boat started whizzing off the trailer (it actually made that sound from the rollers turning so fast) and BAM! It landed right on the lower unit of the stern drive. This boat didn't come off all the way, though - somehow the stern drive put the brakes on. Now the guy looks around like a deer in headlights with no clue what to do. I had him cut off the degraded part of the strap, tie it together and about 4 of us helped lift/push the stern of the boat while he cranked it back up. The ramp is certainly a fun place!

So... OK... maybe a 1% chance :) But the two transom tie down straps, trailer winch strap AND the safety chain would all have to let go for a properly secured boat to slide off. Unless Glen actually has a bunk trailer, then we're back to 0% ;)

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I got a two speed winch for my 20’ overnighter.
I have a roller trailer and the winch is a strap model. The cable on my old electric winch was cracked and frayed. I also had been hand cranking it for some time.
I went with a strap because Ive had good luck with straps and when they looked iffy (after years of use) I replaced it. For a Marlin though I’d go with a cable and probably an electric winch.
I’ve had that winch for a season now and the results are mixed.
Mines a 2 speed as I said but you’ll definitely need that low gear to crank the boat up on the trailer.
Even with the low gear it’s not all that easy. I myself after cranking the Overnighter up wouldn’t even consider doing that with a Marlin.
I’ve had to crank it up to get it straight and solidly connected with the trailer then back the rig in deeper to take some of the weight off. Once it’s up high enough I’d get off the ramp and on the level it’d roll up right a lot easier.
If you do go with a manual winch the last thing I’d recommend is to switch arms, you’ll look lopsided like a lobster if you don’t. ;)
Mike
Here’s a link to when I was in the market for a winch.
https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/winch-load-rating.26164/

jillyrubyjane

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
Trailer Winch of Reese, this is a great winch. I bought it to replace my boat winch and this was meant to be a direct fitment, however the center hole was off by about 1 inch. It is solid built and almost identical in quality to the one I had on there which lasted 25 years. The belt is solid and strong. Came on the winch straight with no kinks of twists. The clip on the front is a little big for most boats but I made it work. The handle isnt the nicest to wind up but it is smooth. and straight. The locking latch is tight and it will have no problems holding it weight. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

CharlesM

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Last one I bought had the hand brake lever, never had to touch retrieve handle while launching but could keep boat attached if needed. Fulton if memory proves correct but this was quite some time ago...

garyroe

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think you should use Reese Towpower 74329 Trailer Winch. This is an affordable, durable, and comfortable trailer winch perfect for small to mid-sized boats or personal watercraft. One thing I love the most about this manual winch is its durability.