Marlin 300 - Evinrude G2 * Updated 4/1/15

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Hello all,

Ever since my thirty minute ride on a 32' Andros CC equipped with twin 300hp Evinrude G2's at the Fort Lauderdale boat show this fall, I seriously thought of jumping the good ship Yamaha.

My six friends and I were onboard with a G2 engineer / captain who took us on a amazing journey to display the ability of these 2nd generation beasts to out perform their dominating competitor in both fuel economy, midrange torque and emission ratings currently unachievable with current 4 strokes.

The trip took us out on the Atlantic in 3-4' chop with a boat load of 7 adults ( one of whom we classify as two) as well as 300 gallons of fuel and a hull with similar deadrise and weight as my 2000 Marlin 300. The engineer's intent was to show me that the motors were capable of producing 1.8 mpg at 3800 rpm at 30-34 mph. :jaw

We saw this as a steady reading on the Evinrude display for over two miles before it was time to head in. We walked away from the demo trip in amazed with what we had witnessed including the new steering design, and tilt design. All of which was executed by design engineers who were give a clean palette by BRP to improve not only the fuel efficiency of an already proven E-tec version 1 but a complete redesign of traditional outboard engine boilerplate that has continued thru the years from the original clamp on small HP motors. Sooooooooo......... my repower wheels began to turn............. :hmm :hmm :hmm

After much debate and price comparison between manufactures of 4stroke vs this new motor I was on the edge of closing the deal but still cautious on pulling the trigger. Until I had a heart to heart with a local charter captain who has been running a pair of 300 G2's since last April. He as well as others have been connected to run new Evinrude designs for the past years to put their motors to extreme duty use in the Northeast saltwater conditions and report back with data monthly. He runs a Robalo R300. After a hour long conversation with Dan about real work expectations for the G2 a came away with the same impression as my first ride.

He has logged over 400 engine hours since April with his fuel consumption a 1.7 at 3800 rpm / 30 mph. He said to expect slightly improved oil consumption over the gen 1 motors but expect the real advantage to be fuel economy and torque.

Enough said................I'm sold.

The motors will be installed during the month of March. When I splash the boat in mid May I'll be reporting back with my own "real world report"

Best,
Tom

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Re: Marlin 300 - Evinrude G2 repower

Tom, you're a lucky and wise man! The G2 is hands down THE motor to buy!! Love it. I spent 1/2 hour with the sales guy at the Providence boat show dreaming of them on my Marlin.

The G2 runs on 30 PSI fuel pump pressure, NO air pump, no air pump belt, no air pump noise and no high pressure! The Mercruiser style lower gear case oil tank to eye ball for water in the gear lube is great!! Even the way the dual outboards are rigged with the two wire harnesses coming out of the front of the motors both towards the center of the boat is first class.

What colors did you go with?

Are you going 300's? Does grady send you a new plate so your insurance company will OK the larger outboards?

If I was buying them I would consider 30" shafts and jackplates to keep them dry in bad seas.

Those G2 tilt way up out of the water too.

Best of luck!

1998sailfish

Reaction score

I'll be going the 250's route. I spoke with Grady last August and they advised to stay with the max HP of the 2000 Marlin. The 2001 Marlins have added reinforcement (stringers) to bear the weight of the early version 4 Strokes which also bumped the max HP to 600. The G2's produce hobbs of torque so I figured I'd be safe with 250's. The duel control network is a great backup design. My reposer will include the 4.3 touch screen so I should have all possible engine monitor features as well as steering adjustment. I am gambling on the hope that these motors set a completely new benchmark in the outboard motor world..................

Another Distraction

Reaction score

The 250's will be more than enough! Nice colors too.

The hydraulic steering is built into the motor, does the control box have built in autopilot?

1998sailfish

Reaction score

Never considered Verado due to weight. Not sure about the autopilot.

rjchankalian

Reaction score

How was the noise compared to 4 strokes? I do love how quiet my F250s are compared to my previous 200 HDPI's.

1998sailfish

Reaction score

rjchankalian said:
How was the noise compared to 4 strokes? I do love how quiet my F250s are compared to my previous 200 HDPI's.

Same level as the first generation E-Tec's ( little difference between E'-Tec's and the leading 4 stroke. The difference only in the harmonic's between 2 & 4 strokes. Running at 3800 rpm there is also little difference. Both types ( 2 or 4) seem to be near equal db at that speed.

mboyatt

Reaction score

Love Evinrude, gents. I own a circa 94 ocean pro 200 and have owned the brand for decades. But this robo cop looking outboard I can't deal with. Looks like it belongs on a bass boat, not a Grady. Looks Nascar to me. Sorry! Even if it is the best outboard, my beloved Evinrude should have stuck to a more traditional look.

mboyatt

Reaction score

Do they have it in all white. Maybe that would help me a bit.

1998sailfish

Reaction score

mboyatt said:
Love Evinrude, gents. I own a circa 94 ocean pro 200 and have owned the brand for decades. But this robo cop looking outboard I can't deal with. Looks like it belongs on a bass boat, not a Grady. Looks Nascar to me. Sorry! Even if it is the best outboard, my beloved Evinrude should have stuck to a more traditional look.

I completely understand your first impression as it was mine when I first saw the motor last October. Function, engineering and a ride on a boat powered by the motor changed my view. I was easy for me to adapt a color combination that best accents My Marlin as White doesn't seem to work well with my Grady's off white Hull color but all white is certainly in the color pallet. Personally, Im not so fond of Yamaha's "smooth and fat" design curves so coming from a Yamaha OX66 squared corner cowl made the transition easy.

I think BRP is making a major statement with this piece of marine engineering.

mboyatt

Reaction score

Good point, sailfish. I have not seen one in person, let alone seen one on the back of a Grady. I have a Grady Tournament, so I would love to see one of these in white hung on the back of a Tournament or Freedom. You know how some are resistant to change. I definitely want to see one out of curiosity though.

1998sailfish

Reaction score

mboyatt said:
Good point, sailfish. I have not seen one in person, let alone seen one on the back of a Grady. I have a Grady Tournament, so I would love to see one of these in white hung on the back of a Tournament or Freedom. You know how some are resistant to change. I definitely want to see one out of curiosity though.

You'll never see one on a new Grady. I believe that they no longer give dealers a power option as they are all pre rigged with Yamaha.

Only on re-powers When my boat hits the water there will be many "real world / in use" videos on my YouTube and Vimeo space for sure! With real world numbers on fuel economy.

REEL NAUTI

Reaction score

Nice!!! I've been debating on repowering my Gulfstream from Twin FICHTs to the G2s but I have to correct my Outboard bracket issues first... What dealer are you using??

1998sailfish

Reaction score

REEL NAUTI said:
Nice!!! I've been debating on repowering my Gulfstream from Twin FICHTs to the G2s but I have to correct my Outboard bracket issues first... What dealer are you using??

Atlantic Outboards in Westbrook CT will be handling my repower. There are currently no incentives on the G2's. Currently, the generation 1 E-tecs have a great repower incentive program.

Meanwhile

Reaction score

I'm curious, hopefully years from a repower, how will their steering interface with an autopilot? I have the Simrad AP 28.

Slacktime

Reaction score

Where do you put the oil tanks to feed the 2 strokes on the Marlin?

1998sailfish

Reaction score

Slacktime said:
Where do you put the oil tanks to feed the 2 strokes on the Marlin?
The E-Tec G2's have a 2 gallon tank within the engine cowl of each motor. No need for additional tanks unless you want more oil reserve.
The optional remote tanks would go in the same location as the Yamaha tanks on my Marlin which are located under and to the rear of the live well. I two weeks left to pull the trigger on the remote tanks. Repowering on 3/23.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

Is two gallons under each cowl enough for a round trip to the canyons for tuna?

We originally had a single OX66 on our Islander. Reliable, strong, and loved oil. Changed to a five-gallon tank so I wouldn't have to add oil between fuel fills.

I'm sure the eTecs are much better, but..

Fishtales

Reaction score

I want to see pics of that transom - at idle and running!