Marlin Bulkhead Noise

Fishtales

Reaction score
Pls keep us posted. Very interested in what you find out.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I think the issue was identified. A tech from the dealership and I took a ride while removing some components. There is an area where two parts meet that appears to be the culprit. We put a putty knife in the junction and the noise stopped. Hopefully this is the end of the issue.

Attachments

• identification1.jpg
    identification1.jpg
    931.6 KB · Views: 25
  • identification2.jpg
    identification2.jpg
    984.8 KB · Views: 24

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well that has to be a sigh of relief, huh? Meaning, the issue is just a small part and it's not something more structural/deeper in the boat.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Well that has to be a sigh of relief, huh? Meaning, the issue is just a small part and it's not something more structural/deeper in the boat.
Yes...I was expecting some deep issue requiring factory involvement. Once in a while we all get lucky, usually not with a boat though.

Reactions: Meanwhile

seasick

Reaction score
Playing the devil's advocate, I would ask Grady if movement of that panel is normal. Yes that may be the place where the noise is generated but is there something else involved. I hope it is as simple as you suspect.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Well that is probably the best outcome. The factory should be able to send some techs up and address quickly. The joys of new boat ownership!

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Good luck with it - I hope it turns out to be something that, at the very least, doesn't cause too much down time for you... not that you guys in Florida are spoiled, or anything like that! :)
Interesting you should say that. I spent 22 years in Allentown working and dreaming of moving to Florida.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Playing the devil's advocate, I would ask Grady if movement of that panel is normal. Yes that may be the place where the noise is generated but is there something else involved. I hope it is as simple as you suspect.
You have a good point. You got me thinking. I am asking Grady engineering why there is movement and what is different vs. other Marlins.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The response from the factory is that the part making the noise is a cosmetic trim piece (#1 in the photo) . It was "installed too tight".
The fix is going to be trimming the top of the piece eliminating the contact with the bulkhead.reduced.jpg

Reactions: Meanwhile

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Marlin and that squeak does not occur on my boat. Opinions are like arm pits.....here is my two cents worth. I think something is not bolted tightly on your hard top on the starboard side, and that is what is causing that squeak, and I agree that it definitely not normal. It will be of interest to us all when the factory rep finds out what is causing that noise. Good luck.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just read your input from the factory rep. Hope it is that simple.
I believe the cause has been identified. What gives me a high degree of confidence is when the gap is wedged the noise stopped under real conditions. Thank you for the input. I think I have the only Marlin making that noise, for now anyway.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Let us know if this resolves the issue please....