Marlin Height On A Trailer:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Some may think I've went off the deep end here:

I would like feedback from folks on here that have trailered Marlins. My 2018 300 Marlin has a bridge clearance of 9' 9" w/hardtop. Obviously, these numbers do not represent height on a trailer.

Can the Marlin come in under 13' 6" on a trailer? I have a Garmin radar dome that's easily removable. I vaguely remember reading posts on here from people that have trailered Marlins. I realize they are few in number, but I thought I'd at least ask.

I have a feeling the difference will come down down to a matter of inches. I would appreciate any input from folks that have achieved this, know of someone who has, or has knowledge of whether it can be done. I can get permits for the wide beam. It's the height I'm concerned with.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Not a Marlin owner, but then this isn't really a question that needs answering by a Marlin owner. This one is just plain old math. Add your 9'9" to the draft of your boat - probably about 2'? This should be in your manual or even just on Grady's site. So now you're at 11'9". The next piece of the puzzle is how far the keel sits off the ground on the trailer - and that can change from one trailer brand to another, along with bunk trailers generally allowing the keel closer to the ground than rollers. But figure 18" to start with. Now you're at 13'3". Keep in mind that when most manufacturer's say "bridge clearance", it's a minimum number... meaning anything on top of the hardtop needs to be added to the 9'9" number. You know your boat better than anyone, so you'll have to figure that one out, based on how it's configured.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Not a Marlin owner, but then this isn't really a question that needs answering by a Marlin owner. This one is just plain old math. Add your 9'9" to the draft of your boat - probably about 2'? This should be in your manual or even just on Grady's site. So now you're at 11'9". The next piece of the puzzle is how far the keel sits off the ground on the trailer - and that can change from one trailer brand to another, along with bunk trailers generally allowing the keel closer to the ground than rollers. But figure 18" to start with. Now you're at 13'3". Keep in mind that when most manufacturer's say "bridge clearance", it's a minimum number... meaning anything on top of the hardtop needs to be added to the 9'9" number. You know your boat better than anyone, so you'll have to figure that one out, based on how it's configured.

Hey Dennis:

Thanks as always for your expertise on "all things boating."

The calculations I have done are similar to yours; I plan on measuring the total height of the boat from the bottom of the keel to the top of the hardtop the next time I have it forked out at my marina. The official draft number is 23",so your 2 ft estimate is on the money. Continuing with your numbers, figuring 18" off the ground on the trailer, putting me at 13' 3", the only thing on the hardtop is my nav light. In it's down position, it's just under 2" off the hardtop.

My concern is that as close as this will be, (inches) I don't want to purchase a trailer and find I'm over the height requirement once the boat is on there. Then if it can't be adjusted, I'm out 10K, or whatever the trailer costs if the dealer won't take it back.

I thought if someone has actually trailered a Marlin below legal height, I could get that same trailer configuration.

I'm fairly certain my dealer and whatever trailer manufacturer I use can tell me ahead of time, but I thought I'd ask here as well.

Thanks again for your input.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I thought if someone has actually trailered a Marlin below legal height, I could get that same trailer configuration.

Absolutely. If you can find someone already doing, just copy and paste. But like you said, it shouldn't be too hard for a good dealer/manufacturer to help you out. Some trailers have drop axles or a "V" in the middle to allow the boat to sit a little lower, as well.

seasick

Reaction score
Rules vary by state. State height limits range from 13-6 to 14-6 although 13-6 is the most common. That said, In most if not all states your beam would also exceed the maximum beam permitted by law without a permit. Max width ranges for 8 to 8-6.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Rules vary by state. State height limits range from 13-6 to 14-6 although 13-6 is the most common. That said, In most if not all states your beam would also exceed the maximum beam permitted by law without a permit. Max width ranges for 8 to 8-6.

Hi Seasick:

I am indeed familiar with my overwide status. If memory serves, the permits vary from state-to-state. The hassle of getting and organizing all that paperwork may be more stressful than yanking the Beast around.

I recall also that I may be limited to daytime driving only. This is fine with me. I'll get the good parking spots at the Holiday Inn Express if I arrive early.

Yeah Dennis, I will cover the possibility of getting the boat to be cradled lower within the bunks; If I gain 2 inches by having that done, it may put me in the sweet spot.

I'd just run her up the East Coast instead, but at 1.4MPG over the distance we're going, the figures will take an alarming direction.

Fishtales

Reaction score
From a rough planning perspective you should be fine. You want to know the exact trailer and take your measurements. Just a word of caution, cops are not stupid. You will get yanked quickly as even the village idiot detect that you are towing a sled.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
From a rough planning perspective you should be fine. You want to know the exact trailer and take your measurements. Just a word of caution, cops are not stupid. You will get yanked quickly as even the village idiot detect that you are towing a sled.

True: This thing will be more than obvious..I'll have my paperwork in order.

Does anyone know if there is a permit to be had for being over 13' 6"? I don't plan on being, but I'd like to know all my options. Maybe there's a permit for being over height that includes alternative routes??

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is this is a once and done thing? If so, maybe check into hiring someone. There are guys out there that do this - I've "heard" that some either have their own trailer or access to one. "Hotshot" haulers.

Just a thought going through my head (almost missed it as there's a lot of free space in there and things sometimes go in and out very quickly)... Does an permit for towing overwide INCLUDE overheight? I would imagine a quick call to at one or two of the states you're going through would give you an idea.

'Nother thought - there are companies out there that you can pay a fee to and they will get all of the permits for you that you will need. Haven't ever used one myself, but have read about it on forums.

Truth be told here... I've towed overwide quite a few times (A Sea Ray 280DA... 9'5") and have never gotten a permit. I know of at least 2 other people doing the same thing - one of them did it consistently for 10 years. It is not over height, though. I think it's a little deceiving - a boat isn't "wide" over the entire length like a camper would be so I don't think it's as obvious. I'm certainly not saying you should go without a permit, though - obviously that's 100% your call.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Is this is a once and done thing? If so, maybe check into hiring someone. There are guys out there that do this - I've "heard" that some either have their own trailer or access to one. "Hotshot" haulers.

Just a thought going through my head (almost missed it as there's a lot of free space in there and things sometimes go in and out very quickly)... Does an permit for towing overwide INCLUDE overheight? I would imagine a quick call to at one or two of the states you're going through would give you an idea.

'Nother thought - there are companies out there that you can pay a fee to and they will get all of the permits for you that you will need. Haven't ever used one myself, but have read about it on forums.

Truth be told here... I've towed overwide quite a few times (A Sea Ray 280DA... 9'5") and have never gotten a permit. I know of at least 2 other people doing the same thing - one of them did it consistently for 10 years. It is not over height, though. I think it's a little deceiving - a boat isn't "wide" over the entire length like a camper would be so I don't think it's as obvious. I'm certainly not saying you should go without a permit, though - obviously that's 100% your call.

Hi Dennis:

Thanks for working "overtime!"

RE: One & Done:

No. My sig other is retiring this spring and we want to start spending summers in Northern Michigan. Since we invested 1/2 my portfolio in this Marlin and we enjoy staying aboard, we want to take it with us every spring and back in the fall. I wouldn't have considered it except I have the tow vehicle (Dodge Cummins Dually) to move it. With that covered, I'm already 1/2 way there so with the lodging expenses we'd be saving and just "being on the boat" I'm trying to make this work on an annual basis.

RE: Hotshot Haulers:

That was my first consideration. I contacted my selling dealer for the boat and they gave me the info on the company they use. Tab would be $4800 up to Michigan and $4800 back to Fla. Pretty expensive, but I do nothing except bring them the boat. Negatives are that I'll spend that $4800 every year. I buy a trailer once and then it's just fuel/lodging, so I'll save in the long run.
I could shop around, but I'm a too much of a control freak to sit still with someone driving away with my big boat. I would worry about every chuckhole he hits on the way North at 75 MPH. I'd be paying thousands to be stressed out.

RE: Permits.

You have earned your "pay for the week" on this one Dennis. I had not thought about allowances for height as well as width. That may indeed be the case and I will certainly inquire when the time comes to get them. I will definitely do some research to find a company that would gather all the needed permits for me. To me, that's money well spent.

RE: Overwide Boats:

Funny you should bring this up..A good example was my 232 Gulfstream. It was 9' 3", but tapered to around 8' 9" in the stern. It would have taken a mighty sharp officer to detect the boat was overwide from behind. I am getting proper permits for this Marlin however. 1.) It's really obvious how big/wide it is and 2.) If I stacked the rig up, I may not be compensated by my insurance, and/or I may be liable for damage to someone else, not having the proper documentation. it simply isn't worth the risk, especially if there's a company I can pay to do the legwork involved in acquiring them.

Any other ideas let me know..Thanks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
With a diesel, and a dually, towing is a breeze. Although the boat looks massive on the trailer, it's really not all that heavy in terms of what the truck can do. I would definitely get EOH brakes on the trailer, though - much better than surge brakes. We've spent many a night sleeping on our Sundancer - certainly makes sense. Why get a hotel room... got water, a flushing toilet, fridge, etc, on the boat. Just find a nice little place - even a parking lot!

And for the record... I agree with you that it's worth the piece of mind to do it right. I have no doubt that an insurance company will find some way to balk at illegally towing an overwide boat.

FYI... the boat I'm talking about in this post is 28' long, but only 8'6" wide. The above Sundancer was 31' overall with wider beam. Trailered the one in this post A LOT.... from the Chesapeake to Maine and all over in between.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
With a diesel, and a dually, towing is a breeze. Although the boat looks massive on the trailer, it's really not all that heavy in terms of what the truck can do. I would definitely get EOH brakes on the trailer, though - much better than surge brakes. We've spent many a night sleeping on our Sundancer - certainly makes sense. Why get a hotel room... got water, a flushing toilet, fridge, etc, on the boat. Just find a nice little place - even a parking lot!

And for the record... I agree with you that it's worth the piece of mind to do it right. I have no doubt that an insurance company will find some way to balk at illegally towing an overwide boat.

FYI... the boat I'm talking about in this post is 28' long, but only 8'6" wide. The above Sundancer was 31' overall with wider beam. Trailered the one in this post A LOT.... from the Chesapeake to Maine and all over in between.

In my mind, trailering has always been the logical way to get a boat to far-off cruising grounds. Yes, it's fun to make the passage by water, but most,(including us) don't have that kind of time and 10MPG on land vs 2MPG on water is a compelling reason to pull her around.

Totally agree on Electric Over Hydraulic brakes. It's on my list of options. My Marlin on a 2500LB Aluminum tri-axle trailer should come in around 15K. The boat is around 12,500 loaded w/ 350 Yams.

Looking at the new Goodyear Endurance Series tires. They have good reviews and replace the Marathons. Marathons were great tires before they were outsourced. Parthery told me not to get the new Marathons and I did. They blew apart on us when me and my son were trailering the Gulfstream last year. (I hope he's not reading this..He'll tell me "I told you!")

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I tow twice a year, to the coast and back. It is only 90 miles but the road has lots of uneven surfaces from repaired washouts.
I get a yearly permit and use the signage front and back. No problem. Towing with a SRW Dodge 3500. Wish I had a sually.

As to height, I'm right at 13' 6". I drove through a weigh station and just barely touched the hanging plastic pipes they use to guage height.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I tow twice a year, to the coast and back. It is only 90 miles but the road has lots of uneven surfaces from repaired washouts.
I get a yearly permit and use the signage front and back. No problem. Towing with a SRW Dodge 3500. Wish I had a sually.

As to height, I'm right at 13' 6". I drove through a weigh station and just barely touched the hanging plastic pipes they use to guage height.

No Bail, thanks!

Glad for the info. My guess is that in some states, I'll use the signage you speak of; other states may be just paperwork I show the officer.

Are you required to stop at weigh stations like semis? Or "Chicken Coops" as they used to call them using mid 70's CB lingo.

Thanks for the reply!

Graybeard

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2003 Marlin 30 and now I’m faced with hauling, blocking and storing it for the winter. I was thinking about trailer storage but a trailer for a boat this Big is $$$. I’d be interested to know how much a trailer would be

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just bought an 04 marlin and towed it on my buddy's yellowfin trailer from Tampa to the FL Keys. It obviously did not fit correctly on the trailer (yellowfin is a 36, 24 degree stepped hull), so I had to block it in some places. After removing the radar I was right around 13.5, although I ran my routes for 14.5 to be on the safe side (applied for a permit). I am going to have a trailer built this year, and my hope is that I can get it pretty close to 14 without having to remove the radar.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    639.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    946.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 33

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just bought an 04 marlin and towed it on my buddy's yellowfin trailer from Tampa to the FL Keys. It obviously did not fit correctly on the trailer (yellowfin is a 36, 24 degree stepped hull), so I had to block it in some places. After removing the radar I was right around 13.5, although I ran my routes for 14.5 to be on the safe side (applied for a permit). I am going to have a trailer built this year, and my hope is that I can get it pretty close to 14 without having to remove the radar.

Graybeard:

I don't know about the used market, but a new trailer, correctly sized for a Marlin is between 8-10K. If you don't plan on long distances, like I am, a used one may work for you.

Follow this thread and others on this subject;' the height and width are the hurdles. You may come in higher than 13' 6" and hit low-hanging tree branches on your way to-and-from your marina.

How's your docking practice coming along?

Island Pilot:

Thanks for the pics and the input. This goes back to something Dennis mentioned; applying for a permit for over-height. What did you do to acquire a 14.5 permit? Did DOT or FHP set up a route for you, or did you map it out on your own?
The only thing that scares me about being over 13' 6" is what I'll tag off the interstate on my way to a hotel, launch ramp or marina.
My Garmin Dome is 4 bolts and a couple connectors, so it's plug-and-play. That said, it would be nice to have one less thing to mess with at either end of the journey.

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Graybeard:

Island Pilot:

Thanks for the pics and the input. This goes back to something Dennis mentioned; applying for a permit for over-height. What did you do to acquire a 14.5 permit? Did DOT or FHP set up a route for you, or did you map it out on your own?
The only thing that scares me about being over 13' 6" is what I'll tag off the interstate on my way to a hotel, launch ramp or marina.
My Garmin Dome is 4 bolts and a couple connectors, so it's plug-and-play. That said, it would be nice to have one less thing to mess with at either end of the journey.

I used the the Florida permit application system (https://gis.dot.state.fl.us/PermitA...spx/LogOn?ReturnUrl=/PermitApplicationSystem/). It cost me $20 for a one time permit, and it was granted immediately and electronically. There is an annual permit you can also get, which I will buy when I get a trailer made. The system will step you through your dimensions, ask for beginning and end addresses, and build a safe route. When I was running hypothetical dimensions, I did not run into any trouble until I hit around 15.5' high. The width is not a problem, however to be completely legal you need to hire an escort car south of Florida City if you are over 10', the marlin is 10'7". I took my chances there. Off the highway I did have to maneuver around the oaks and palms that line some of the streets in St. Pete. If you know your route you should be fine. I did break the tow eye on the boat from it rocking and not being against a stop. I stopped about 20 min into the trip and strapped her down with four more 30k lbs straps, she was stable after that. Having a proper trailer fit would have made a world of a difference.

I have two quotes for trailers, Loadmaster for $12k and Amaritrail for $15K. I am probably going to do the Ameritrail as it welded aluminum and should last me for the next 1000 years or so :).... I would not go cheap on a trailer (go with 3 6K axels, preferable electric over hydraulic disk brakes... she is a big, big boat!!! I towed her with a dodge 3500 dually, and glad I had every bit of that truck, I weighed in at over 21,000 lbs combined gross on the scale, the trailer was over 12K alone.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 16

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I used the the Florida permit application system (https://gis.dot.state.fl.us/PermitApplicationSystem/Account.aspx/LogOn?ReturnUrl=/PermitApplicationSystem/). It cost me $20 for a one time permit, and it was granted immediately and electronically. There is an annual permit you can also get, which I will buy when I get a trailer made. The system will step you through your dimensions, ask for beginning and end addresses, and build a safe route. When I was running hypothetical dimensions, I did not run into any trouble until I hit around 15.5' high. The width is not a problem, however to be completely legal you need to hire an escort car south of Florida City if you are over 10', the marlin is 10'7". I took my chances there. Off the highway I did have to maneuver around the oaks and palms that line some of the streets in St. Pete. If you know your route you should be fine. I did break the tow eye on the boat from it rocking and not being against a stop. I stopped about 20 min into the trip and strapped her down with four more 30k lbs straps, she was stable after that. Having a proper trailer fit would have made a world of a difference.

I have two quotes for trailers, Loadmaster for $12k and Amaritrail for $15K. I am probably going to do the Ameritrail as it welded aluminum and should last me for the next 1000 years or so :).... I would not go cheap on a trailer (go with 3 6K axels, preferable electric over hydraulic disk brakes... she is a big, big boat!!! I towed her with a dodge 3500 dually, and glad I had every bit of that truck, I weighed in at over 21,000 lbs combined gross on the scale, the trailer was over 12K alone.

Island Pilot:

Thanks much for all the info:

Permits vary from State-To-State I'm told. Travelling to Michigan will involve some phone calls, but I am also looking into possibly a company that will gather all that together for a fee. I am no computer genius, but will also examine doing it electronically as you did. (I called FHP and they told me I needed 6 red flags; amber warning/flashing lights, "Oversize Load" signs front & rear, the works...)

Going down 75 from St Pete to Largo across the Alley would certainly give you plenty of height allowance. I'm a bit worried about Viaducts, low bridges, etc. over a 1400 mile run. I'll uncover that as I get further into this. That said, it's looking like I'll be at or a tad below 13' 6" with the radar removed.

I have also talked to the companies you mentioned and will go with a trailer similar to what you describe. I have learned the hard way over the years not to undersize trailers. I also have a Dodge Cummins Dually.

Thanks again for your input..good luck with your rig.

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Island Pilot:

Thanks much for all the info:

Permits vary from State-To-State I'm told. Travelling to Michigan will involve some phone calls, but I am also looking into possibly a company that will gather all that together for a fee. I am no computer genius, but will also examine doing it electronically as you did. (I called FHP and they told me I needed 6 red flags; amber warning/flashing lights, "Oversize Load" signs front & rear, the works...)

Going down 75 from St Pete to Largo across the Alley would certainly give you plenty of height allowance. I'm a bit worried about Viaducts, low bridges, etc. over a 1400 mile run. I'll uncover that as I get further into this. That said, it's looking like I'll be at or a tad below 13' 6" with the radar removed.

I have also talked to the companies you mentioned and will go with a trailer similar to what you describe. I have learned the hard way over the years not to undersize trailers. I also have a Dodge Cummins Dually.

Thanks again for your input..good luck with your rig.
No worries. Let us know how it goes. If I was crossing state lines I would hire one of those firms to gather all the paperwork as I know Florida is pretty lax with boats. But other states may not be..... If I beat u to ordering a trailer from Ameritrail they will have a current Marlin jig. Right now they don’t, so they need my boat since each bunk is custom welded to fit the hull like a glove. Good luck!!!!!