Marlin On Trailer:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Special thanks to Dennis & Island Pilot for their advice and help.

Specs below:

Height 13' 5" with Garmin Dome removed.

Weight (A guess; this was just a fitting and we have yet to scale it.) 15,300 LBS or in that ballpark.

Length/Boat & Trailer: 44 feet with OB's tilted to trailering angle. (Approx angle depicted in photo.) I will use the Yamaha trailering braces that fit over the trim cylinders; They look kind of like shock absorbers and work great. They are a much safer alternative than using the "flip" levers once the engines are tilted all the way up.

Trailer: Continental: Three 7K axles; Electric Over Hydraulic brakes. Optional "Bow Catcher" not shown in photo. This addition keeps the bow pulpit out of the winch mechanism when launching/loading on a steep ramp by cradling the bow several feet back on the trailer away from the winch stand. I assume this will not present me with too light a tongue weight. I'm thinking Continental took that into account. We'll see....

I will likely run a strap over the top of the boat just forward of the Yamaha's as it will be hard to strap to the stern rings and run the strap forward to the tie down "U" bolts. I will use another strap to the trailer from the bow eye and likely tie the bow eye down with line as well.

Tow Vehicle: Dodge Cummins Dually. The old girl should yank this in fine form. I hope I get 10MPG....

Again thanks to Dennis for his height calculations and Island Pilot for his overwide permit info.
20190513_153757.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sweet - glad you got it all worked out!

Yes! Definitely don't rely on that little metal flip stand for trailering. It's not meant for trailering distances. Even wedging a 2x4 in there will work well (usually you can get 2x in there... or similar... on most engines). But those Yami things do look nice. When you get them... are they more than just PVC pipe? I've always wondered.

When you get a chance, can you post a pic of that bow catcher?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Beautiful boat!!

Here's some pics of the M-Y Wedge motor support. These are the same as the Yamaha ones. PVC with solid core rubber insert. I have one on each trim ram, to me, it distributes the load evenly. I trailer long distance, so as much protection I can get works for me. I also use trailering locks to keep motor centered and help relieve pressure from the helm with the motor trying to lean over going down the road.

20190527_083845.jpg20190527_083959.jpgseastar-stabilizer-clips-HYCL-001-200x200.png

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks KY Grady:

I was just about to reply to Dennis describing the motor supports and you did a much better job with a pic to boot!

I originally used the M-y Wedge's on my F200's in 2007. (I first learned about them on this site, actually.) When we ordered new ones for my 350's on the Marlin, we went to the M-y Wedge site and wound up with the same product bearing the Yamaha name. This leads me to believe Yamaha bought them out or something. Anyway, the new Yamaha versions are identical, same weight, everything.

Glad you like the boat; it's really neat..thanks!

Dennis, I'll try to get a bow catcher pic.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Buffalo Btms

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Really nice set up. I like both the continental trailer and the wedges! Same set up but pulling with a single rear wheel 1 ton Chevrolet.

Question: When you roll up your curtains do you roll them from outside the help or inside? Getting different info from different sources. Rolling from inside prevents water from getting in the roll, but is a PIA due to space. If I were all of 6'4", then rolling and attaching strap wouldn't be as hard. Being most of 5'11" makes it a bit more difficult.

Glad I ran across these dimensions before building a shed. 44' boat & trailer in a 45' shed isn't much fun. Building something large enough to fit that and the truck in would only take 1 good Power Ball ticket.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Buffalo:

Thanks for the compliments; it sure looks bigger on the trailer than in the Gulf...

RE: Curtains;

I'm not sure what you mean by "Outside The Help" or "Inside The Help." I roll the side curtains up from under the hardtop as opposed to standing on the walkaround outside. I gently roll them..hmm..let's see; clockwise and attach the straps as you would normally do. The aft pieces are a challenge, as you mentioned.I roll them clockwise but have to stand on the livewells and hold onto the hardtop bar to attach the straps.

It's worth mentioning that the boat will be fully covered/enclosed while trailering. I have an amazing canvas tech who has designed a cover that will withstand the wind & buffeting it will be subjected to on the road. I will limit my speed to 50MPH and he says the cover will not be damaged if I stick to that speed.

Therefore, the isenglass curtains will not have to be removed from the vessel. With the cover on, the boat & weather canvas will be protected from bugs, oil & grease thrown off trucks, and whatever else the Road throws at it.

RE: Length;

Remember the 44 feet is with the engines tilted up halfway with the trailering wedges in place. Drop your outboards and you'll gain 3-4 feet on the back end if your storage options are that tight.

Buffalo Btms

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sorry Magical Bill, spell check helped me again. Meant helm not help. So you're from under cover (helm). Thanks, I'll start trying that more often.

I like storing with outboards tilted w/ wedges. Leaves me room to drain / work on lower unit if need be.

Spent some time on the front topside of the boat for the first time this weekend. Watching the sunrise / sunset should be fantastic if I can get the weather to cooperate!

Buffalo Btms

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Curious to see what your fuel economy with the dual 350's is. Same boat, 2018 with 300's and I'm some place between 1.1 - 1.4 mpg. Spending more time at 1.2 in most moderate speeds. (18-25 mph). Speeds above 30 mph and 4800 rpm tend to fall in the 1 mpg area. Some fishing equipment, two people and 1/2 to 2/3 fuel fill.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Post up some pics of the full cover when you get it installed. A cover to fit a 300 should be the size of a small house!! Very nice option!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Bill... reading through your post about the full cover... are you saying this cover goes OVER the hardtop and, essentially, the whole boat? Sounds kinda like a Fisher winter cover? But, just make sure that NO PART of that cover can come anywhere near your isinglass otherwise the cover WILL scratch it.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Buffalo:
Once the wx turns for the summer,(depending where you are) you'll have many memorable moments aboard your Marlin. As you've probably discovered, they're great rigs.

Fuel Numbers/350's. (Drop .1 or .2 off the MPG's in slop or significant surface chop.)
3500-3700RPM. 31-33MPH. 1.4MPG in reasonably calm conditions.
3700-4000RPM 33-36MPH 1.4-1.3MPG again, in calm conditions.
4000-4300RPM 36-39MPH -1.2MPG. calm conditions.
4300-4400. 39-40MPH 1.2-1.1 MPG.
Above 4400 Depressing....

I am surmising that our similar burn numbers are due to the fact that I can operate at the same speeds at lower RPM's than the 300's. Our load is not unlike yours; 2 persons, too much gear and 1/2-2/3 fuel generally. (I hit 1.5MPG once at 3500 almost empty with 1 bar left on the fuel gauge running on the ICW. It DID happen, but it's unrealistic to expect it except under those conditions, which almost never happen so I didn't include it above.)

KY Grady:

I think I have a shot of the cover on the boat somewhere. I'll try to find it..I'm terrible at computer stuff like posting photos and I've got to get a shot of the Bow Catcher on the trailer for Dennis as well...

The cover is 5 pieces.
Piece 1. Hardtop & Garmin Dome cover.
Piece 2. Bow cover from pulpit to front windshield.
Piece 3. Port side
Piece 4. Stbd side.
Piece 5. Stern; Covers cockpit & OB's.

It all zips together and my canvas guru installed eye hooks in the hardtop at all 4 corners. I took a canvas pencil and outlined installation procedures in my own idiot language. Unmarked, it's a huge pile of canvas with no beginning and no end. It would cover most of Lambeau Field stretched out....

Dennis:

As mentioned above, I have a hardtop piece, but will not use it on the road as the Garmin Dome will be removed for height purposes anyway. Without the dome, it wouldn't fit correctly and would flap in the wind.

Good point about the canvas coming in contact with the isenglass..It won't happen here because the (bow) railing flares it out. The canvas is attached to the hardtop, drops down and covers the hullsides to the waterline. As it drops, the bowrail keeps it away from the side isenglass panels. (I can crawl fore & aft in the walkaround space with the canvas up.) The fore & aft pieces are set up so they are "tented" and are well away from the weather canvas.

I have towed boats most of my adult life, but nothing this big. If you can think of anything else I need to keep in mind I'd appreciate it!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
As promised, thanks to my marvelous sig other who is a whiz at this stuff..

The Bow Catcher and full cover shot on the lift.

20190513_153713.jpg

IMG_7616.JPG

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks for the catcher pic - I was wondering if that's what you meant. I've seen others that make me queasy - that one looks nice and sturdy. Same with the winch stand.

That's a heck of a cover!

You mentioned 'also' using rope from the trailer to the bow eye. Don't bother - rope stretches too much to be of any benefit. You could use a heavy chain and a turnbuckle, though.

You might be able to get stern straps on there. But if you use the 'over the transom' strap, be sure get it situated over that transom wall/bulkhead so you don't flex the hull sides. Don't forget some protection for wherever the strap touches the boat.

I think you'll be fine - you've got a good truck there. The dually makes a HUGE difference compared to a single wheel... a VERY noticeable difference - much more 'planted' and stable.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Very nice setup for sure. I've been driving/pulling with a dually since 2010, just bought a '19 dually, love the stability, pleasure to drive and pull with. Although my load isn't as big as what you have, still prefer a dually.

IMG_2686.JPG

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks Dennis:

I just went out and examined the transom lifting rings and their location relative to the tabs. It looks like, as you mentioned, I may be able to get stern straps on and run them forward to the "U" Bolt on the frame. I think they'll miss the tabs and I can put towels or something in between them and the hull. They would be my first choice over going over the transom.

I will indeed place the strap over the bulkhead wall if I run over the top or not do it. I wrote a check with too many zeros in it to warp the thing...

Yeah, I'm glad for the dual wheels; I've kept that truck for 12 years now, thinking there might be a time I'd need it and here we are.

Your advice is appreciated; I'll have to send you a royalty check at some point if I have anything left after dumping diesel in the Dodge to pull the Beast....

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
KY Grady:

Did you get my "Conversation reply?"

Great shot and very cool rig you have there! That Seafarer is insanely clean. I assume with your truck being a '19 you have the 6.7? I remember for years after Ford built the infamous 6.0 that all the Reps went to their dealer meetings with bullet-proof vests on...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
"if I have anything left after dumping diesel in the Dodge to pull the Beast"

Hey, be glad you don't have a big block/454 in there. You'd be looking at probably 5 to 6 mpg!

Have you done any mods to the engine/exhaust/tune? There's a LOT more power to get out of an oil burner. And quite safely, too.

Oh... here's my general rule for trailering... "As long as the rig stays behind me, I'm good. If it see it passing me, then I start to worry!" :)

Reactions: RussGW270

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
KY Grady:

Did you get my "Conversation reply?"

Great shot and very cool rig you have there! That Seafarer is insanely clean. I assume with your truck being a '19 you have the 6.7? I remember for years after Ford built the infamous 6.0 that all the Reps went to their dealer meetings with bullet-proof vests on...

Just replied to the Conversation!

Yes sir, 6.7. I've been driving Ford diesels since '99, all F250's till 2010 when I bought my first dually. The 7.3 was the bulletproof motor until they had to make them more fuel efficient and cleaner burning. 6.0 and the 6.4 had their own set of issues after the 7.3. For the most part I think the 6.7 has done ok. I've heard of a few issues of DEF being put in the diesel tank, but that's not the trucks fault. Operator error.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I bought a 98 with triple axle trailer last summer. I found it to be very trailerable with a an F250 or Chev 2500HD gas power. Three axles of surge brakes stop it real well.