Marlin On Trailer:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I bought a 98 with triple axle trailer last summer. I found it to be very trailerable with a an F250 or Chev 2500HD gas power. Three axles of surge brakes stop it real well.
Once you go diesel, you won't go back! The power delivery is completely different. Same goes for EOH - once you try that, you'll wonder why you didn't upgrade sooner. There's safety benefits to EOH, as well - if start to get a little sway (for whatever reason), you can gently apply JUST the trailer brakes to calm things down. As well as backing down a ramp/hill where surge brakes don't function. But, nothing wrong, of course, with your setup, either.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Curious, I think the height limit is like 13'6", isn't it? If the radar makes your haul above that, do you remove it when hauling?

I have been trying to figure out what my boat's height will be with everything I am adding.
By the way, your boat is freaking nice. I wish I had the truck that could haul that large of a boat....maybe in the future.. ;)

R

Lsquared

Reaction score
Nice setup, will be passing thru your neck of the woods at the end of the month. heading to the keys for a week. I wound up going with the 282 because of the beam for trailering. I need the permit, just got it for one year but not all the oversize load signs. I just need flags on each corner. Bought the same Continental trailer and had it made from Affordable in Naples. Really great guy there. Used to pull it with a 2000 F250 with the 7.3 Diesel, got about 10 miles to the gallon. Just got an 18 Ram 2500 with the diesel, wondering how that will go.

Attachments

• 20171106_114352_resized.jpg
    20171106_114352_resized.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Dennis:

Funny you should mention the 454; I had a 3/4 with a 454 that my son now has. It got 10-13 empty. 9 & below with any kind of heavy load. I shudder to think what it would be with this rig. Probably 5-6 as you said. Not too much better than the Yamahas...

A couple people have approached me about packing s'more power into the Cummins as you mentioned. I've heard that fuel mileage will increase with the upgrades they describe. I didn't want the engine computer throwing codes after the Cummins has been souped up, but they say that can be adjusted post-procedure. I've never seriously considered it as I have plenty of power the way it is. If the Marlin taxes it too much underway, I'll revisit the upgrade procedure. I was told around $2500.00 would make a big difference. Will I be illegal after it's done?

Fish:

Thanks for checking in. I seem to have jumped off the deep end, wouldn't you say?

Lsquared:

Thanks for the input; yeah, I need flags bow, stern & amidships along with the amber flashing lights and the "Oversize Load" sign fastened behind the outboards. Just the flags would indeed be easier.

My guess is that your Ram will still give you 10MPG or thereabouts.Maybe 11.. We both have the 6.7 Cummins and it's great. Your truck will be happy as can be pulling that Sailfish.

I agree, the Continental trailers seem to be well-made. Enjoy the Keys; the water should be Caribbean clear this time of year.

Russ:

Earlier in this lengthy exchange, I mentioned that the Garmin Dome will be removed for height purposes. It stood 14' 4" with the Garmin on, and will be 13' 5" when removed. Thanks to Island Pilot's research and info, I could've opted for a pre-determined electronic route allowing for the 14' 4" clearance with the Garmin left up there. The downside to that plan was that I would have to watch every powerline, tree branch and low overhanging structure when off the interstate. I don't want to take out the Garmin & hardtop on the way to the Pilot truck stop or Cracker Barrel.

Thanks for the kind words about the boat. If you do get a tow vehicle in the future, buy as much towing capacity & power as you can afford. I have never been sorry yet for doing that. I've been darn near broke at times, but never sorry.

Harpoon:

Thanks for chiming in; Do you have any problems with your height or beam off the interstate? That's what I'm most concerned with. Eventually you have to leave the interstate for fuel, bathroom breaks, sleep, food...It's what I'll encounter after I exit the highway that I worry about.

Buffalo Btms

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I plan to pull my Marlin to the lake, and back home, once per year, Approx. 159 miles from barn to ramp, predominately 4 lane road. Currently having the 3500 SRW isn't optimal and it'd reduce sway significantly with duals, but can't justify the additional cost. Was difficult to justify purchasing the one I have.

Thoughts on the ability to make the trip happen once each way per year? Without firey crash and above 25, but below 60 mph?

Worst case I could have it transported, but having pulled loaded dump trailers, 5th wheel flatbeds full of hay & tractors, etc... I was thinking I could make it work. Only issue, other than federal debt level cost is the wider footprint the rest of the year.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Bill, no, things can done and still be legal. I'm not as up to speed on the specifics regarding Cummins - but they're all pretty much the same. Best thing is to check a poplular online forum or even places like Banks Power. It all depends on how big you want to go, but you may be able to do just a tune for now - and just keep it more on the mild side. The power you can get from a diesels is TOTALLY different than what you can get from gassers. But if you're happy with what you got - stick with it!

Buffalo... You'll be fine with a single wheel. The Marlin isn't THAT heavy, after all, in the grand scheme of things. If your truck's weight rating leaves you a comfortable margin after you factor in boat, motor, gear, fuel, trailer, etc - you'll be OK. I would HIGHLY suggest EOH for the rig, though. In my opinion, once you get around 10K, it's almost a necessity.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Dennis:

Thanks, as always for your input. I am gonna see how it pulls the Beast and then decide if I need to jazz it up some. I'll let you know how it does!

Buffalo:

What Dennis said. I would opt for the proper permits; It wouldn't take a sharp officer to realize a Marlin is overwide. You have the right idea and with your previous towing experience, you should nail the trip in fine form if your within the towing limits of your truck. If you don't plan any longer trips than your 159 mile jaunt once a year, your 3500 may do the job for years to come.

Buffalo Btms

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Dennis, Bill,

I agree, moving often isn't the issue, it's stopping that becomes a problem and isn't seen or considered until it happens. And the permit debate continues in this neck of the woods. Some believe it's frivolous and not needed, some report that it's a must. My current take is based on my typical luck / track record, it'd be wise to have appropriate documents and equipment.

Diesel tuning: Having worked for Cummins for 25 years, but mostly on the High Horsepower side, it comes down to a couple of factors. Yes, removal of some of the exhaust restriction can improve overall mileage, but increases particulate emissions. Modifying the fuel delivery (pump / injector) system increases power, but comes at the cost of mileage and provides more torque / HP that a transmission isn't necessarily prepared to accept.

Personally, I'm older than I used to be and not interested in providing a black cloud at each stop light. As it turns out, the pretty girls aren't really impressed by that. Hmmm who knew... I would wager that the stock system is adequate for towing these boats, and unless your're doing it 5 days a week for 1000's of miles, the return on investment of many modifications isn't there. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks all!
Tim

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Tim:

Appreciate the insight on the Cummins power concept. I am simply not versed well enough in this field to talk intelligently about it. As I mentioned to Dennis, if the Cummins doesn't strain or seem to be overworked pulling the Marlin, I'll probably let it alone. I have so much else going on and could use the money and time for other things.

If, on the other hand, it's struggling, then I'll research the idea of upgrades and the accompanying pros & cons. My main objection would be if it was noisier after the procedure. In any case, thanks for your info. It all helps.

I well remember the moment when I knew electric trailer brakes were a must. I was hauling my 23 Gulfstream home on a yard trailer that I borrowed temporarily. I think it was about 10K or so... I was pulling it with my 2500 Chevy 454..Put on the brakes at the first intersection at about 45MPH and the rig just kept going. Yikes..I laid on the horn as I helplessly cruised thru the intersection and by the time I was at the other side, I had already purchased new brakes in my head for the truck and trailer. I'm really happy about my Electric Over Hydraulic setup on the big boat here.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Don't forget the special permit (in some states). No matter what you pull that thing with, it looks massive.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Speaking of, I found an organization that will assemble all the permits needed for the journey, state by state. They charge $65.00 per state, I think, and do everything. Since the permit requirements vary from state-to-state, acquiring them would be a hassle at best and a nightmare at worst. $65.00 is well worth circumventing that exercise.

The Fla requirements are extensive: Flags bow, stern & amidships-flashing amber lights bow & stern on both sides and the standard "Oversize Load" sign draped behind the Yamahas. It'll be a bona fied Circus Wagon when it's ready...

Massive? That's appropriate. It's a bit unnerving to contemplate that the towed load weighs twice as much as the tow vehicle.
Believe me, I won't forget the permits; You don't unobtrusively sneak by with this thing.

Anybody know if I am required to stop at the "Coops?" (Weigh Stations?) A little Smokey & The Bandit 70's CB Lingo there...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Diesel tuning... I agree that there's no need to go to extremes and be blowing black smoke or "rollin' coal". That's just wasted fuel. But a mild ot moderate tune can, and has been done, to provide very noticeable gains with no ill effects. From experience, you can get BOTH power and efficiency with these beasts as long as you don't go crazy with the tune. No, noise won't really change until you start going all out with things. IF you get to that point, just stick with a reputable company that's been doing this for a long time. Your truck is old enough that it might even be emissions exempt where you live.

Double check, but no, I don't believe you have stop at the 'coops'... still a great movie and a GREAT car!

UCPA111

Reaction score
Dennis:

Funny you should mention the 454; I had a 3/4 with a 454 that my son now has. It got 10-13 empty. 9 & below with any kind of heavy load. I shudder to think what it would be with this rig. Probably 5-6 as you said. Not too much better than the Yamahas...

A couple people have approached me about packing s'more power into the Cummins as you mentioned. I've heard that fuel mileage will increase with the upgrades they describe. I didn't want the engine computer throwing codes after the Cummins has been souped up, but they say that can be adjusted post-procedure. I've never seriously considered it as I have plenty of power the way it is. If the Marlin taxes it too much underway, I'll revisit the upgrade procedure. I was told around $2500.00 would make a big difference. Will I be illegal after it's done?

Fish:

Thanks for checking in. I seem to have jumped off the deep end, wouldn't you say?

Lsquared:

Thanks for the input; yeah, I need flags bow, stern & amidships along with the amber flashing lights and the "Oversize Load" sign fastened behind the outboards. Just the flags would indeed be easier.

My guess is that your Ram will still give you 10MPG or thereabouts.Maybe 11.. We both have the 6.7 Cummins and it's great. Your truck will be happy as can be pulling that Sailfish.

I agree, the Continental trailers seem to be well-made. Enjoy the Keys; the water should be Caribbean clear this time of year.

Russ:

Earlier in this lengthy exchange, I mentioned that the Garmin Dome will be removed for height purposes. It stood 14' 4" with the Garmin on, and will be 13' 5" when removed. Thanks to Island Pilot's research and info, I could've opted for a pre-determined electronic route allowing for the 14' 4" clearance with the Garmin left up there. The downside to that plan was that I would have to watch every powerline, tree branch and low overhanging structure when off the interstate. I don't want to take out the Garmin & hardtop on the way to the Pilot truck stop or Cracker Barrel.

Thanks for the kind words about the boat. If you do get a tow vehicle in the future, buy as much towing capacity & power as you can afford. I have never been sorry yet for doing that. I've been darn near broke at times, but never sorry.

Harpoon:

Thanks for chiming in; Do you have any problems with your height or beam off the interstate? That's what I'm most concerned with. Eventually you have to leave the interstate for fuel, bathroom breaks, sleep, food...It's what I'll encounter after I exit the highway that I worry about.

If you tune the diesel you do risk voiding the warranty. This is well documented. But, it's not like you're doing it to enter into drag competitions. Most diesel tuners have historically deleted the emissions. This is an illegal, although often done, modification. If you remove emissions and replace with a straight pipe exhaust, it will be louder. I tuned my last 6.7 Ford. I opted to put a donaldson muffler on it and it had no noticeable drone or loudness, but a nice whistle that any trained ear would appreciate as knowing something was up under the hood. I didn't want attention. But if I kicked it into Performance mode it was a beast...and I thought it was a beast stock!

Diesel tuners have been experiencing the wrath of the EPA. Look up H&S Performance for an example. Thus, tuning companies are looking at how they can tune, stay emission compliant, and even obtain CARB certification.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Bill,
What year? Looks new.... I see the chrome blower vents, is that stock. Some pics of the boat would be great to see.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
UPCA111:

Thanks to you, and to everyone for chiming in on this. Again, if after towing the Marlin the Cummins is lacking in power, I'll investigate. My Dodge is a 2007 with 177K miles so there's no warranty anymore.

From what I've read here and the casual conversations I've participated in, my best course would be a procedure that gets me a bit more power/torque and improves mileage somewhat. I have no need or desire to go to a level that would make the truck illegal & loud. I've seen pickups at stoplights with exhaust pipes big enough to crawl into and I have no interest in moving into that world.

Fishtales:

She is a 2018; I've had it for a year or so. The vent your referring to is, I think, a vent for the blower that you run while operating the Fischer-Panda. I ordered the boat with the generator option, and it was equipped with that vent from the Factory.

I have no more pics of the boat; I know it's odd, but I am not an iphone person that does all that stuff. I have an antiquated flip phone that looks like Capt Kirk's communicator. If someone takes more pics, I'll be happy to try to get them on here. Glad you like the boat; it's a cool rig for sure.

Reactions: Ky Grady