MFD's

Sibs

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
On the 265 I had managed 2 12" flush mounted on a piece of king starboard, no cutting of fiberglass at all. Just some measuring. One unit was new simrad go12 which I really liked

Attachments

• IMG_20190414_125905_140.jpg
    IMG_20190414_125905_140.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
As I said earlier we fish a relatively small area, usually can still see some land features, good marked structure, so often fish spot to spot on the troll. Typically I run the cockpit and whoever else is there runs the helm. If I had a dime for every time I yelled stop staring at the screen and look at the water, that is for birds, weeds, bait, etc... I would have a lot of dimes!

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Timcan

Reaction score
I like 2 units as stated above one as a chart plotter and the other one as a sounder. It’s also nice to have everthing in one area it just simplifies things.
760A4AE6-6E37-409B-A140-7172C0C26065.jpeg

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It’s not inches you are dividing - It’s pixels. Radar and sonar don’t use/need the high screen resolution. The software is trying to plot the chart detail for a particular zoom level. Screen resolution affects what detail can be shown at that zoom level. And that zoom level is different on different units.

Try this on whatever Garmin unit you have:

*Pick an inshore spot that has lots of things going on. Depth contours, channel markers, fishing spots you have marked, etc.
*Zoom in so you can see all the detail the map has to offer.
*Zoom out so you can see the big picture as if you were cruising where you can see markers ahead of you. At some point you will loose the details. Note the scale on the bottom of the screen.
*Go to another Garmin unit (different model or screen size) and do the same thing. You will see that dropout occur at a different scale.

The comparison below shows that screen resolution runs in the family. The 943/1243 are 1280x720/800, the 86xx series is 1920x1200/1080 and the 42xx are 800x600.

So a bigger screen within a family gives you more screen but not more pixels. To get more pixels you have to switch to another family of products.

943xsv $1,399.99
physical 9.2" x 6.4" x 3" (23.3 x 16.2 x 7.6 cm). 5 1/2" cutout height
screen 7.8" x 4.4"; 9.0" diagonal
WXGA; 1280 x 720

8610xsv $2,699.99.
physical 10.25" x 8.0625" x 2.95" (25.9 cm x 20.5 cm x 7.5 cm). 6 15/16" cutout height
screen 8.6" x 5.4"; 10.1" diagonal
WUXGA; 1920 x 1200 pixels. <<< Best resolution

1243xsv is $2,899.99
physical 12.1” x 8.9” x 3.2” (30.8 x 22.8 x 8.2 cm). 7 15/16" cutout height
screen. 10.3" x 6.4"; 12.1" diagonal
WXGA; 1280 x 800 pixels

8612xsv $3,999.99
physical 11.9" x 8.5" x 3" (30.3 cm x 21.6 cm x 7.6 cm) 7 3/8" cutout height
10.1" x 5.7"; 11.6" diagonal
FHD; 1920 x 1080 pixels

8616xsv $5,999.00
physical 15.1" x 10.3" x 3" (38.5 cm x 26.3 cm x 7.6 cm) 9 3/16" cutout height
screen 13.6" x 7.7"; 15.6" diagonal
FHD; 1920 x 1080 pixels

8617 $7,499.00
physical 16.5" x 12.1" x 2.8" (41.9 cm x 30.7 cm x 7.1 cm) 9 3/16" cutout height
screen 14.4" x 9.1"; 17.0" diagonal
WUXGA; 1920 x 1200 pixels

physical 13.4" x 8.9" x 4.2" (34 x 22.6 x 10.7 cm) 8 5/16" cutout height
screen 8.3" x 6.3"; 10.4" diagonal
SVGA; 800 x 600 pixels

My advice is to install the largest, highest resolution unit that fits your budget. I would not install 2 x 9" units. If the budget is there install a second unit not necessarily next to each other.

I highly recommend the 8610xsv. It is $200 less than the 1243xsv and is 1920x800 pixels vs. 1280x800. It has a faster processor and more ports for sonar connections. If you have the room for a 12" display the 8612xsv is a great choice. More money and a few less pixels.

I have a 8612xsv at helm and 943xsv overhead. The 943xsv works well for my use case (sonar/radar) with its lower resolution. I may upgrade the 943xsv to a 8610xsv this year - only because of a marina inventory clearance deal.
The Garmin 8610xsv is also a discontinued model, which it started off with a $2,800 msrp price tag from the Garmin website when it was brand new and available through them. BOE Marine is where I do all of my online electronics or marine orders through as they generally always have the best pricing, they will match other retailers prices and they don't charge tax. When I was shopping for MFD's in late June or early July of this summer they didn't have any close out prices like they do now, even the Garmin 943xsv at the time retailed at $1,499, of which I found it for $1,399 and BOE Marine matched the deal. Now they've got the 943xsv at $1,240.79, the 8610xsv at $2,300 and the 1243xsv at $2,370. At the time when I purchased my GPS, the 8610xsv wasn't on sale, nor were any of the other units, which I'm assuming has to do with it no longer being peak season and that they're likely going to come out with new products relatively soon, so they're putting the older ones on sale or discounted prices. Also at the time, I didn't really want to spend $2,800 just for an MFD, especially on a smaller 228 Seafarer where I personally don't really think I need that large of a screen. I also needed to buy a new transducer or at least figured that I needed one as my old MFD was almost 10 years old, so I spent an extra $300 on a brand new Garmin transducer as well, putting the total at around $1,700. Which again, I could've spent almost $3k on just an MFD alone, but then I'd need a transducer on top of that and I didn't want to spend almost $4k on electronics as my fishing needs are very basic. I like the Fish Eye 3d chart that Garmin has where it shows the colored dots that are supposedly the fish, and then I also added the depth to that screen as well as water temperature, direction and my speed.

Lastly with regards to pixel numbers, I doubt that I or anyone else would ever notice the difference between the 80 additional pixels that the 1243xsv has over the 943xsv. Similarly, the 8610xsv with 1,920 x 1,200 pixels puts it at 120 pixels more than your standard 1080p resolution. Which again, I doubt most people would be able to visually differentiate between 1,920 x 1,080 pixels compared to 1,920 x 1,200 pixels. I've got better than perfect vision at 20/10 and don't even notice that big of a difference between 720p and 1080 on YouTube videos except that sometimes they show as being brighter or slightly more vivid, but the claim is that most people can't even tell that there is a difference, and that's if you even have "perfect vision" at 20/20. I'm sure that one day all of these MFD's will be a minimum of 1080p or 4k but for the time being, my Garmin 943xsv being the good ole standard HD 720p is more than fine by me. If it was a bigger screen like a TV where we're talking about sometimes 65"-75" and greater then sure, I think that there's the argument for possibly getting a 4k TV since you could be sitting 10'+ away from your tv, maybe even a greater distance depending. On a 9"-12" MFD though, I think I'll be more than fine with 720p resolution, but if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket or simply want to spend more money on the screen that has more pixels, then buy whichever MFD you want to. It's your money and your boat, go check them out in person at your local retailer and see if you notice any difference between the two would be my suggestion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saltyone

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The Garmin 8610xsv is also a discontinued model, which it started off with a $2,800 msrp price tag from the Garmin website when it was brand new and available through them. BOE Marine is where I do all of my online electronics or marine orders through as they generally always have the best pricing, they will match other retailers prices and they don't charge tax. When I was shopping for MFD's in late June or early July of this summer they didn't have any close out prices like they do now, even the Garmin 943xsv at the time retailed at $1,499, of which I found it for $1,399 and BOE Marine matched the deal. Now they've got the 943xsv at $1,240.79, the 8610xsv at $2,300 and the 1243xsv at $2,370. At the time when I purchased my GPS, the 8610xsv wasn't on sale, nor were any of the other units, which I'm assuming has to do with it no longer being peak season and that they're likely going to come out with new products relatively soon, so they're putting the older ones on sale or discounted prices. Also at the time, I didn't really want to spend $2,800 just for an MFD, especially on a smaller 228 Seafarer where I personally don't really think I need that large of a screen. I also needed to buy a new transducer or at least figured that I needed one as my old MFD was almost 10 years old, so I spent an extra $300 on a brand new Garmin transducer as well, putting the total at around $1,700. Which again, I could've spent almost $3k on just an MFD alone, but then I'd need a transducer on top of that and I didn't want to spend almost $4k on electronics as my fishing needs are very basic. I like the Fish Eye 3d chart that Garmin has where it shows the colored dots that are supposedly the fish, and then I also added the depth to that screen as well as water temperature, direction and my speed.

Lastly with regards to pixel numbers, I doubt that I or anyone else would ever notice the difference between the 80 additional pixels that the 1243xsv has over the 943xsv. Similarly, the 8610xsv with 1,920 x 1,200 pixels puts it at 120 pixels more than your standard 1080p resolution. Which again, I doubt most people would be able to visually differentiate between 1,920 x 1,080 pixels compared to 1,920 x 1,200 pixels. I've got better than perfect vision at 20/10 and don't even notice that big of a difference between 720p and 1080 on YouTube videos except that sometimes they show as being brighter or slightly more vivid, but the claim is that most people can't even tell that there is a difference, and that's if you even have "perfect vision" at 20/20. I'm sure that one day all of these MFD's will be a minimum of 1080p or 4k but for the time being, my Garmin 943xsv being the good ole standard HD 720p is more than fine by me. If it was a bigger screen like a TV where we're talking about sometimes 65"-75" and greater then sure, I think that there's the argument for possibly getting a 4k TV since you could be sitting 10'+ away from your tv, maybe even a greater distance depending. On a 9"-12" MFD though, I think I'll be more than fine with 720p resolution, but if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket or simply want to spend more money on the screen that has more pixels, then buy whichever MFD you want to. It's your money and your boat, go check them out in person at your local retailer and see if you notice any difference between the two would be my suggestion.
The Garmin 84xx/86xx are Garmin's top of the line chart plotters. They are not discontinued. The 943 and 1243 are newer "value" units that are not discontinued either. Garmin price fixes all their units and does not allow discounting. Over the last two years these models were in high demand and short supply. No one is giving them away.

Pixels have nothing to do with how good your vision is. When a unit has more pixels it can plot on a larger canvas allowing you to see more area. Go ahead and do some factual testing before you spout off your misinformed theory.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Resolution matters as screens get bigger. That is a given.In video, 720p looks great on a phone and looks like shit on a 20" computer screen.
For the same screen size, higher resolution reaches a limit where the eye can't see the difference.

In particular, the chartplotter is really the thing that improves dramatically with larger screen size. Charts are vector charts. They don't display everything all the time like an old raster chart. You get more detail as you zoom in.
The higher resolution screens can display more(smaller) details given the same screen size. Just think about it in terms of Fonts. The higher resolution can show words in smaller fonts and be readable. Same goes for depth contours and wreck symbols, etc.

If you travel to a waypoint 40 miles out and you want to see the whole trip on the screen, you want the biggest screen you can get.
When you get where you are going and zoom all the way in, the bigger screen shows more detail of your surroundings.

The other thing on chartplotter screens are the Data Overlays. They take up space around the edges of the screen, making the actual displayed chart. smaller. They are easier to read on a bigger screen also.

Radar is another thing that is better with a bigger screen. The same radar return is a bigger dot. Radar on a 9" screen must suck.

Sonar isn't improved much with a very big screen. Mostly you just see more of the past. However, resolution mattered in the past. Remember the first LCD sonars you could visibly see the square of the smallest pixel

The other thing is Touchscreen and menus and swiping and dragging and pinching....bigger is better

I agree, budgets matter. Panel space matters. How you are going to use your boat matters. IMO, get at least one 12" or larger screen for your main screen and use a smaller sonar (up high) to save money.

Also, the trend is large flat glass touchscreen dash panels. IMO, if you are going to spend money, don't stay stuck in the past or your boat will look dated.

Last edited:
Reactions: A&J Outdoors

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I been doing major upgrades to my boat this year. Starting to re-install the electronics next week. When I do I'll generate some screen shots of my chart plotters at the same zoom level to show just how much more area you can see with a higher resolution display. I'll also capture the transition from more detail to less detail which will vary with units of different resolution.

By the way I just bought another 8610xsv today to replace my 943xsv.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The Garmin 84xx/86xx are Garmin's top of the line chart plotters. They are not discontinued. The 943 and 1243 are newer "value" units that are not discontinued either. Garmin price fixes all their units and does not allow discounting. Over the last two years these models were in high demand and short supply. No one is giving them away.

Pixels have nothing to do with how good your vision is. When a unit has more pixels it can plot on a larger canvas allowing you to see more area. Go ahead and do some factual testing before you spout off your misinformed theory.
When I typed in "Garmin 8610xsv" into a Google search it sent me to the first Garmin link, where if you look at the top above the picture you'll see where it says "Discontinued". It looks like what Garmin did was that they came out with the same identical model name of "Garmin 8610xsv" but gave it a new/slightly different model number of 010-02091-51 as opposed to the former which was 010-02091-03. So yes, I was mistaken there. And BOE Marine has the 8610xsv for $500 off, which again makes me think that they're going to be coming out with a new/replacement model soon. I'm not sure what, if any, difference there is between the two different model numbers but from the less than few minutes that I took to go over both, they appear to be the same. Although, I could obviously be mistaken.

And in regard to your comment about pixels... that is completely false. The better your eyesight the more ppi (pixels per inch) you're able to detect. For example, they say that someone with "perfect vision" at 20/20 is able to detect around 300 ppi, but those with better than perfect vision are able to see more than that.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I guess that's an acknowledgment of a mis-statement on discontinued units.

You still don't get it on resolution. I'm not talking pretty pictures or video. It's actual detail on the plot. For a given scale chart plotters can plot a wider field of view of objects depending on the devices resolution.The result is you can see more of what is around you. This is independent of physical screen size.

monitor-resolution-sizes636px.png

There is an added side effect of the resolution. There is a point where the chartplotter drops detail as you zoom out to let you see the bigger picture. This happens much earlier on low resolution screens. The result is you have to zoom back in to see detail but can't see "the bigger picture".

When shopping you don't have to go to the highest resolution or largest screen. They all do their job. Depends on your use case. Just pointing out the tradeoffs - and there are tradeoffs.

Note: This applies to chartplotter screens. Sonar, radar and other screens are rendered internally for smaller screens and don't really use or need the higher resolution.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I guess that's an acknowledgment of a mis-statement on discontinued units.

You still don't get it on resolution. I'm not talking pretty pictures or video. It's actual detail on the plot. For a given scale chart plotters can plot a wider field of view of objects depending on the devices resolution.The result is you can see more of what is around you. This is independent of physical screen size.

View attachment 27477

There is an added side effect of the resolution. There is a point where the chartplotter drops detail as you zoom out to let you see the bigger picture. This happened much earlier on low resolution screens. The result is you have to zoom back in to see detail but can't see "the bigger picture".
I did say that I was mistaken, I believe? Also, your above comment was "Pixels have nothing to do with how good your vision is." which is completely false. I guess I'll wait to see some of this proof you're referring to over the next several days with your new Garmin compared to the old one...

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I did say that I was mistaken, I believe? Also, your above comment was "Pixels have nothing to do with how good your vision is." which is completely false. I guess I'll wait to see some of this proof you're referring to over the next several days with your new Garmin compared to the old one...
Both my 8612xsv and 943xsv are current Garmin models. Nothing "old" about them. So far Garmin lists both as "New". Garmin did not announce any new plotters are the Ft. Lauderdale show.

I'll give you the 943xsv vs the 8612xsv comparisons. The 8610xsv actually has a slightly higher resolution (horizontal lines) than the 8612xsv. Sold my 4210. I can give everyone the "setup" and they can test other units.

Let’s give this thread back to the original creator and let him decide what to buy!

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Both my 8612xsv and 943xsv are current Garmin models. Nothing "old" about them. So far Garmin lists both as "New". Garmin did not announce any new plotters are the Ft. Lauderdale show.

I'll give you the 943xsv vs the 8612xsv comparisons. The 8610xsv actually has a slightly higher resolution (horizontal lines) than the 8612xsv. Sold my 4210. I can give everyone the "setup" and they can test other units.

Let’s give this thread back to the original creator and let him decide what to buy!
I meant "old" in regards to your above comment in post #28 where you said "By the way I just bought another 8610xsv today to replace my 943xsv."... but then you knew that already ;)

Also, I'm not sure what's "New" about the Garmin 943xsv as I made a post on it back in October 2020 that you actually responded to as well. The 8610xsv has also been out for at least a year or two now, so I'm not sure what makes either of these as "New". Good day.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I had room for two displays - a 12 and a 9. When running to offshore destination, the 12 is split with chart/navigation and the 9 is dedicated to radar. When at fishing destinations, 9 is switched over to fish finder. Of course, other functions, engine management, tides, waypoints, etc. accessed as needed. Works for me.

Also, comforting to know that I have back up, should one MFD fail.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I meant "old" in regards to your above comment in post #28 where you said "By the way I just bought another 8610xsv today to replace my 943xsv."... but then you knew that already ;)

Also, I'm not sure what's "New" about the Garmin 943xsv as I made a post on it back in October 2020 that you actually responded to as well. The 8610xsv has also been out for at least a year or two now, so I'm not sure what makes either of these as "New". Good day.

The 86xx series was introduced Feb 2016. The 943 was introduced in Sept 2020. The operative term should be "current" models as in not discontinued. I expect Garmin to continue these models for a few more years. They are state-of-the-art, fast CPU's, adequate memory and good displays. I'm sure they are working on the next generation.

I'm replacing my newer 943xsv with the older 8610xsv because I want higher screen resolution on my overhead unit.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I kinda like the idea of having one large screen in front and a smaller screen in the upper bin area for sonar.

Question though, can both display sonar off a single transducer? I thought I've read that you want to link the screens together via their ethernet port vs the nmea backbone.

I wouldn't like the idea of having to be constantly looking up when I'm trolling around scouting for fish.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Sonar and radar cannot be shared over n2k by any brand.

The Garmin "GPSxxxx" model lines can share sonar over Garmin Marine Network(ethernet). I have a GPS1242xsv and a GPS4208(up in the E-box). However, my old gps4208 cannot display the built-in sidevu or clearvu from the GPS1242xsv because it doesn't have the menus for it. So the sharing mfds need to be "compatible". (Similarily, the 4208 won't display Fantom radar because it doesn't have the menus for the newest radars and they stopped updating software for 4208)
I have a GSD 24 blackbox sonar module on the network and can run it on either mfd. There is a trick to setting which mfd operates the gsd24 by default.
I use the 4208 exclusively for the black box and use the built-in sonar of the 1242 on its own screen.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

Joe_C

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
I see quite a few, if not most of Grady's with 2 displays. I assume on the older ones that is before they were multi-functioning displays (seperate chart plotter and depthsounder). Obviously anything newer is going to be MFD's. Is that for redundancy having 2 smaller displays vs 1 larger one?

The 265 I'm looking at has older electronics (not sure on the brand and model) and the older simrad AP11 autopilot. Electronics would be probably one of the first things to get upgraded.

I like the idea of having redundancy with 2 smaller displays, but also like the visual of 1 larger display.

Looking for pro and cons of each.

Thanks
Depth, heading, and whatever else you want is displayed on your MFD at all times. so only one display is ever needed.
But there have been times I’ve wished for a Second, Stand-Alone depth sounder for redundancy in sketchy water.