More battery questions

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
A recent post by POP got me thinking. I have a Adventure 208, single motor, 2 battery set up. Both of my batteries are Dual Cycle.

I run a bait tank, VHF, lights, and at times plug in a Road King oven to heat up food. (and obviously a bilge when needed)

What is preferred for this size boat, 2 dual cycle or 1 starting and 1 deep cycle.

I have not run into any issues, so I'm inclined to stay with dual cycles but want to hear opinions from this group.

Thanks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Preferred entails opinions. And, truthfully, there is no "one best" answer. Either of those methods are fine (assuming the DP batteries are quality and of sufficient size).

Now, personally, I like a dedicated starting battery and a larger DC battery as I'm (relatively) smart enough to turn the battery swtich to direct the charge to a certain battery... but that's an opinion. I did, however, recently install an ACR to make things a little simpler because other people sometimes use this boat and this way I don't have to worry about explaining things.

Reactions: wspitler

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
What size/type of motor?
How are your batteries wired? Do you have a diagram like POP?

I have 4 batteries in my Islander.

I had problems with low voltage warnings after for a few hours. I run all electronics all the time and typically have a livewell and a bait tank running pumps. Pumps may be running all night while at the dock on the charger.

4 Duracell AGM batteries. Group 34M for each engine, Group 27M for large house battery and Group 34M for bait tank, bow thruster and windlass. I installed a second charging shunt on my Yamaha F150. Each engine charges its starting battery and a house battery. The Yamaha alternators produce a lot of power even at idle or trolling speeds. I have a ProMariner 3-bank smart charger and a Noco single for the 4th battery for at the dock. My motors are always running and my low voltage problems are gone.

Last edited:

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hi all, I have a Yami 150 4 stroke, with 2 dual group 27 batteries and I also have a ACR. Unfortunately, no wiring diagram but they are wired in parallel. My gauges say the yamaha charges at 14.6. I run my bait tank and vhf all the time and run the motor 90% of the time while on the water.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If they are parallel they should be that same size/type and replaced together when the time comes.

I use Group 34M AGM's Dual Purpose for both F150's on my boat. Never a problem.

Reactions: Sdfish

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hi all, I have a Yami 150 4 stroke, with 2 dual group 27 batteries and I also have a ACR. Unfortunately, no wiring diagram but they are wired in parallel. My gauges say the yamaha charges at 14.6. I run my bait tank and vhf all the time and run the motor 90% of the time while on the water.
That negates "needing" a DC or DP. If you're happy with the DP's, keep going. Smaller OB's like a 150 don't really need much power (starting battery) to start them, anyways.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
By Dual Cycle I think you mean Dual Purpose "DP" as opposed to Deep Cycle "DC".

There is no good reason to NOT use two 27DP batteries in your situation. You will have plenty of starting power for a fuel injected 4 stroke that fires at the first click of the key. You don't need a dedicated starting battery.
You don't have much House load to need a dedicated deep cycle house battery.

Not sure what you mean when you say you have an ACR and "they are wired in parallel". That doesn't make sense. You haven't mentioned a battery switch.
In a typical 1 motor, 2 battery setup, there is a battery switch that chooses which battery is connected to the motor (for both starting and charging). The ACR is added to allow the other battery to charge without choosing it with the switch. The batteries are not in parallel unless the switch is on BOTH.

In your situation, you don't want them parallel. You want one to be a backup...charging but unused, ready to start your motor if you run the "#1" battery down.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd do (2) starting batteries group 27.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Apologies if I was not clear, I have an ACR, I believe my batteries are wired in parallel, I have 1/2/both selector switch and currently have 2 dual purpose batteries. In my situation, I select 1 battery for the day, the ACR will charge both regardless.

Based on the comments, I think I will stay with current set up, 2 dual purpose group 27 batteries.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If your batteries are paralleled the ”both” position on your switch makes no sense. Check your boat. The black jumper between negative lead should be obvious. My bet is there is no red jumper on the positive lead. Instead there will be red wires to the switch.

Also there is no reason for the ACR in a parallel configuration. Both batteries will charge from the engine start cable.

You are likely configured like POP.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
agree, stick with the batteries you have.
As for "parallel", your batteries are not connected in parallel. They are not in series either. They are separate. You have a 1/2/both switch. you can choose one or the other or both. If you choose both you are connecting them in parallel using the switch.
The ACR sort of connects them in parallel for charging. the connection is one way and does not allow you to draw from Batt2 while in position 1.
Right now, your Batt 2 does nothing but charge and wait for you to put the switch on 2 or both.

The only reason to ever have the switch on Both is if 1 and 2 fail to start you motor.

As I posted in POPs thread, you could use the #2 Batt as a dedicated House battery by using a Blue Seas Dual Circuit Plus battery switch in place of your 1/Both/2/Off switch
In that case your 1 Batt will be your start battery and your 2Batt will be your House battery. This means your accessories will never run down your start battery. It also means you will actually be using your 2 Batt.

Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 8.43.22 PM.png

Reactions: Hookup1

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
There is nothing wrong with your present setup. You may not have a problem with electronics draw and if you do you have a "hot" battery. One thing you should do is alternate batteries using the switch from trip to trip. That way you know both batteries are good.

If you do decide to make changes you can do them down the road. That change will have you using both batteries and using the switch to transfer the load in the event of a battery failure.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Why not dual purpose? They have the CCA/MCA for starting F150 with plenty to space and they can be deep cycled?
It is what GW installed and recommends. 22 years with them and never an issue except for routine swap outs.

Reactions: Sdfish and Hookup1