motor bracket leak - what's the best fix?

busterblue

Reaction score
Done (almost)

I did not remove my engines or bracket. I used a variety of tools; fillet knife, hack saw blade, various other knives and finally a dremmle tool with a very thin wire wheel and totally cleaned out the // between the bracket and the hull. I actually created a very slight groove in the hull and the bracket so when I laid in a new bead of 5200 if formed a "+" so it can not b e pulled out or pushed in by water pressure. I also replaced the drain plugs and removed the inspection ports topside and cleaned the mating surfaces and reseated them using "form a gasket". no more leak! Next I have to open the inspection ports and remove all the floatation because alot of it is waterlogged.

busterblue

Reaction score
drain plug

To replace the drain plug I used the opaque white plastic ssold a westmarine. Previously the original plugs had been replaced by a boat yard with the same material. Problem was the threading got destroyed by removing them and replaceing them every trip. My solution was to get 3/4" O/D , 1/2 "ID bushings and mount them permanently with 5200 in the original holes and 1/2 plugs to screw into them made of the same material.

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Motor Bracket Leak-Best Fix

I removed my swim step on my twin engine bracket by using a car jack and a tall block of wood. Putting it on each corner, going slow the 5200 let go and the release was complete. What a pain in the ass to get the remaining 5200 off the bracket. Heat, goop off, 5200 remover (various types-watch out the powder coat did not like this, protect the dripping down the side), fishline, plastic scapers. My powder coat is excellent so I did not want to repaint. I also found two delaminated spots on the underside of my swim step, so this was a good time to grind and fill with epoxy/paint. I sealed around the bracket, top plate and teflon tape on the plastic plug. Replaced the swim step and all is good.

Zeebr00k

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have the grady 228 with the grady drive bracket made by Gil. I removed the engine and live well to discover 6 threaded rods with bolts on each end attaching it to the transom. The rods will not budge has anyone ever removed one of these brackets on GG? My bracket was filled with water and looks like it was leaking from the top of the bracket that connects to the transom