Mounting a crab puller to a 209 Fisherman gunnel

WildernessWill

Reaction score
I hope someone can help me out here. I can’t be the only one that has tried this. The gunnels one my 2014 209 Fisherman seem to be separate from the hull of the boat. There is some silicone around the edges and some cheesy aluminum brackets that appear to be held in place with very small screws. These gunnel insert hold the flush mount factory rod holder so hopefully they hold up when I start trolling for bluefin.
I like the Burnewiin product line and want to drill the gunnel for GM650 mounts that I will eventually mount a Pac Pro line puller to.

The million dollar question is will these gunnels support a line puller with 250ft of rope and a 30-70 lb trap on the end of it???

I’m in SF Bay Area so there may be some swell to go with it too. I got this boat this year and really don’t want to to destroy it with stupidity. My ideal mount would be in between the flush mounts. I could go forward and access behind the speaker but I would like it to double as a downrigger mount down the road.
This is my first boat and your input is highly valued. Let me know if more pics would be helpful.
Thank You in advance.

Attachments

• 04F985E0-F339-4945-A069-296AA9AD9E83.jpeg
    04F985E0-F339-4945-A069-296AA9AD9E83.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • D94A417F-078A-499E-A8AF-C6947D457BD5.jpeg
    D94A417F-078A-499E-A8AF-C6947D457BD5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 9A73B571-7905-41C9-A394-9495B7868085.jpeg
    9A73B571-7905-41C9-A394-9495B7868085.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 96411262-F801-4EC3-BA40-4856DA811DFB.jpeg
    96411262-F801-4EC3-BA40-4856DA811DFB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • 6CA4FC9E-55FB-45F4-ABCF-044B5B26A43E.png
    6CA4FC9E-55FB-45F4-ABCF-044B5B26A43E.png
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • 2E11DDC6-7541-4965-82CC-4EC4BAED730E.png
    2E11DDC6-7541-4965-82CC-4EC4BAED730E.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 31

Fishtales

Reaction score
I doubt it. I’m surprised by the design and that factory rod holders are in those pieces. Can it be mounted further aft?

seasick

Reaction score
The gunnels are typically part of the deck mold. That piece is then secured to the hull mold. Modern methods of attachment would be to glue ( using a high tech adhesive) the deck mold to the hull mold adding screws to hold the parts in place. The glued structure is quite strong as a unit but I can't say for concentrated loads like the mount, if the structure is strong enough. You can call grady and see what they have to say.
Can you explain what picture 4 is showing . The bracket may be there not to much to hold the deck cap but rather to give support to what looks like a ' drop in mold or something similar

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I would not trust it in those filler panels. Im sure there is a reason for them being there.

I would find a solid fiberglass place to install.

Big bluefin you will want a heavy duty rod holder thru bolted with backing plates. Likely the same with the pot puller.

Factory rod holders are just, that to hold a rod. Light trolling would be ok, but heavy duty trolling... no way.

Reactions: WildernessWill

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There was a post within the last few months, where someone was looking for a replacement because one of those inserts had been ripped completely off the boat. I thought it was here, but maybe another website, another brand. Same problem. I would not mount a pot hauler, or fish for blue fin from that insert position.
Only putting two bolts in a bracket with four holes tells you how much they cared, and one of them may be a screw instead of a bolt and nut.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Those gunnel pieces are there so there is an overhanging gunnel over the molded in rod holder space. I had one of mine off. I had a cutting board sticking out in a rodholder caught a piling and it popped somewhat loose. It was well glued as well as screwed with tiny screws.
That said... It was certainly strong enough for an 80W considering you are going to have no more than 40 lbs of drag set. I have HD swivel rod holders in there. We haven't had any giants but have fought 100 pound fish and sharks on a 50 bent butt from there.

I would not put a pot puller there because it has no drag.
If you go forward into the solid gunnel you will need to have a drain out to the deck. Its a better position for pulling also. That would be the way I would go.

WildernessWill

Reaction score
I’m
The gunnels are typically part of the deck mold. That piece is then secured to the hull mold. Modern methods of attachment would be to glue ( using a high tech adhesive) the deck mold to the hull mold adding screws to hold the parts in place. The glued structure is quite strong as a unit but I can't say for concentrated loads like the mount, if the structure is strong enough. You can call grady and see what they have to say.
Can you explain what picture 4 is showing . The bracket may be there not to much to hold the deck cap but rather to give support to what looks like a ' drop in mold or something similar
Photo 4 is the underside of the forward gunnel bracket. I may consider reinforcing with heavy gauge aluminum angle brackets and much larger stainless bolts. I greatly appreciate the advice everyone has given me. There is not much room aft on this gunnel. Especially port side where the shower is located.
Forward would be ideal but it would put it very close to the helm. Not an ideal spot for a downrigger. I’m not anticipating more than a 150 lb west coast bluefin so I will probably throw the dice on that one. For the puller I’m starting to consider an EZ puller davit. I would still drill through the gunnel but it would be floor mounted too.
So far this obstacle is the only major design flaw I have found on the GW 209 Fisherman. Other than that I love the boat.

Attachments

• 90A539B2-C324-4A70-B655-69932C22E505.png
    90A539B2-C324-4A70-B655-69932C22E505.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I think you want a crab puller with a davit that will go to the deck floor - not mounted on the gunnel.
there would be a cylinder stainless sleeve mounted to the floor for the davit to slip into and have just a brace on the gunnel.
ill try to find a better picture of what a prior owner did on mine for a crab pot davit (also in SF)
1665103042988.png

Check out this site and pictures

if you are going to try to strengthen the gunnel I’d go stainless over aluminum

something like this

Last edited:

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I hope someone can help me out here. I can’t be the only one that has tried this. The gunnels one my 2014 209 Fisherman seem to be separate from the hull of the boat. There is some silicone around the edges and some cheesy aluminum brackets that appear to be held in place with very small screws. These gunnel insert hold the flush mount factory rod holder so hopefully they hold up when I start trolling for bluefin.
I like the Burnewiin product line and want to drill the gunnel for GM650 mounts that I will eventually mount a Pac Pro line puller to.

The million dollar question is will these gunnels support a line puller with 250ft of rope and a 30-70 lb trap on the end of it???

I’m in SF Bay Area so there may be some swell to go with it too. I got this boat this year and really don’t want to to destroy it with stupidity. My ideal mount would be in between the flush mounts. I could go forward and access behind the speaker but I would like it to double as a downrigger mount down the road.
This is my first boat and your input is highly valued. Let me know if more pics would be helpful.
Thank You in advance.
I run this same setup on my 228 and love it. I have the GM650 with a backing plate made out of G10 board for additional strength. I use Pac Pro puller for crab here in Oregon without any issues. If you have any questions you can always give them a shout, the owners are incredibly knowledgeable and they fish and crab more than most.

WildernessWill

Reaction score
I run this same setup on my 228 and love it. I have the GM650 with a backing plate made out of G10 board for additional strength. I use Pac Pro puller for crab here in Oregon without any issues. If you have any questions you can always give them a shout, the owners are incredibly knowledgeable and they fish and crab more than most.

Does the 228 have the gunnel inserts that are not part of the boats hull?

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No it is a continuous piece. I would put it back by the stern cleat area, I'm sure that would be fine with a backing plate.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
There was a post within the last few months, where someone was looking for a replacement because one of those inserts had been ripped completely off the boat. I thought it was here, but maybe another website, another brand. Same problem. I would not mount a pot hauler, or fish for blue fin from that insert position.
Only putting two bolts in a bracket with four holes tells you how much they cared, and one of them may be a screw instead of a bolt and nut.
I believe it was over on THT and it was a pursuit. gunnel piece, rod went right to davey jones locker