My boat is at that age

JRyan

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2005 228. I want to Install a wash down this year. I have two questions; 1. should I install a 1 inch or 3/4 inch through hull water strainer and what pump does grady use for the wash down? Any help is appreciated. I have a lot more questions but don't want to wear out my welcome.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I ended up purchasing the complete Jabsco washdown kit to replace the original pump that was seized on my Seafarer as I needed the hose and nozzle as well. Works great.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi, I have a 2005 228. I want to Install a wash down this year. I have two questions; 1. should I install a 1 inch or 3/4 inch through hull water strainer and what pump does grady use for the wash down? Any help is appreciated. I have a lot more questions but don't want to wear out my welcome.

When I replaced my pickup it was a 3/4" and the pump was Jabsco. This is on my 2004 228.

20180722_131731.jpg
Screenshot_20210117-084431_Gallery.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
There is always something to do on these things. Some are maintenance items that are required, other are bigger ticket items that come along (fuel tanks, scupper lines, repower come to mind), some break fix items and some that are pure upgrades to make your boat better. They don't call it Break Out Another Thousand for nothing.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
JRyan, do you have a 2005 without either a wash down, or a transom shower? You don't need another hole, if you have a live well thru hull.
My 2000 has the freshwater transom shower, which I also refer to as the washdown, so no thru hull for that. And no pressure, no volume, so it's a lousy wash down, and a lousy shower.. Do you guys consider the shower to be a wash down? I looked at the pump under the passenger seat, and there is a tiny little elbow, 1/4" at the most, feeding the shower hose. I bought a 1100 Rule livewell pump, with the extra port on the intake, and will replace the existing one next time I am standing on my head under the live well. That will give me the option of a raw water wash down, with its own pump.
I know some of the 228's come with 2 thru hulls in the rear, but I only have one. Before I drilled another hole through the bottom, I would consider either a pick up on the outside of the transom, a scoop on one of the trim tabs, or a Y-valve on the macerator thru hull forward, if it was just for a raw water washdown. They would only share the last 4 inches or so, inside the thru hull scoop, and it is constantly flushed when running, and seldom used for anything else.

Last edited:

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
My little red button is original, 19 years and has never been an issue on my 208. I think the life of that breaker and other below deck parts depends a lot on how wet or dry the bilge normally is. The aft bilge on my 208 is incredible dry ( so far:))
Now I put the hex on!
34 years on my ‘87 Overnighter and it’s still original. Is that a generic part?

JRyan

Reaction score
JRyan, do you have a 2005 without either a wash down, or a transom shower? You don't need another hole, if you have a live well thru hull.
My 2000 has the freshwater transom shower, which I also refer to as the washdown, so no thru hull for that. And no pressure, no volume, so it's a lousy wash down. Do you guys consider the shower to be a wash down? I looked at the pump under the passenger seat, and there is a tiny little elbow, 1/4" at the most, feeding the shower hose. I bought a 1100 Rule livewell pump, with the extra port on the intake, and will replace the existing one next time I am standing on my head under the live well. That will give me the option of a raw water wash down, with its own pump.
I know some of the 228's come with 2 thru hulls in the rear, but I only have one. Before I drilled another hole through the bottom, I would consider either a pick up on the outside of the transom, a scoop on one of the trim tabs, or a Y-valve on the macerator thru hull forward, if it was just for a raw water washdown. They would only share the last 4 inches or so, inside the thru hull scoop, and it is constantly flushed when running, and seldom used for anything else.
I have a 2005. it did not come with either a livewell or salt water washdown. I don't think I will install a livewell just the washdown. A bit nervous about installing the strainer through the bottom. There is a lot to coordinate; the rollers on the trailer, the remote arm and making sure the through hull does not interfere with the bilge pump.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have an extra 4amp red Klaxon.... was hard as hell to find one. I needed a 10, so grabbed the 4 when I saw it and also a 10... annoyingly hard to locate.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
JRyan, what is between your 2 rear seats, where the live well normally goes? Pic?

Ky said that he replaced his, which I take to mean that he reused the factory hole. Many manufacturers have a special lay up to place the thru hull in a thicker than normal hull area. I would take the time to call the factory and ask if there is a dedicated spot for the thru hull. They answer the phone, and usually give you the answer without a call back. 252-272-2711.

Last edited:

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
That's a great question Glacier. Would Grady just have solid top and no live well ? They could easily just insert it ,the live well , without it being plumbed for a pump but gave the drain ? My boat came with it , so I just assumed all Grady's come with a live well, but not all come with a washdown pump. Also, he needs to account for installing a seacock as well on the bilge side for that washdown pump. It's mission critical safety if you have not thought about it.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm with you, I thought all Seafarers had a live well, especially of that era. That's why I would like to see a picture. I am curious how you service the bilge pump.
I like to think that everyone installs a proper seacock on their thru hull, but I know that is overly optimistic.

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 2005. it did not come with either a livewell or salt water washdown. I don't think I will install a livewell just the washdown. A bit nervous about installing the strainer through the bottom. There is a lot to coordinate; the rollers on the trailer, the remote arm and making sure the through hull does not interfere with the bilge pump.
Thanks for the help all.
JRyan,
I installed a washdown/livewell pump on my '87 228 last summer. Cut out holes in my hull.
Can't tell you how far off centerline my hole was, but you should measure with your boat on the roller trailer to confirm.
The biggest concern for me was keeping transducer interference to a minimum.
Writing this on a trip in Thailand, won't be stateside again until the first week of February.
Here is my thread on what I did step by step with pics, and good luck if you decide to move forward with it!
Lee

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you. Can you tell me how far the strainer is from center line of the boat? I need to be sure I place the strainer in a place that does not interfere with the rollers on my trailer. Thanks again
JRyan,
I installed a washdown/livewell pump on my '87 228 last summer. Cut out holes in my hull.
Can't tell you how far off centerline my hole was, but you should measure with your boat on the roller trailer to confirm.
The biggest concern for me was keeping transducer interference to a minimum.

I won't see my boat for a few more weeks, but as Lee said, measure your own boat sitting on the trailer. My location may be standard, but I'm on a bunk trailer. Keep it out from behind the transducer so not to cause turbulence going over the ducer. As glacier said above, yes, I replaced an existing pickup in an existing hole. I crushed one in Florida a couple of years back. Also replaced the seacocks at that time as they were frozen and not able to close them. Reach out to Grady as they probably have a layup schedule on locations for thru hulls and pickups.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I'm with you, I thought all Seafarers had a live well, especially of that era. That's why I would like to see a picture. I am curious how you service the bilge pump.
I like to think that everyone installs a proper seacock on their thru hull, but I know that is overly optimistic.
You service the bilge pump by removing the live well. knock on wood, I still have a functioning OEM bilge pump and float switch.. This spring I am looking to replace the float switch and pump plus all the hoses. I am looking at those electronic sensor based switches versus the mechanical float that's in there .

Sometimes in rough seas the switch gets stuck in the up position or on position and when I slow down. to troll or what ever I hear the pump running with no water in the bilge . So I take a gaff and work it iin there to flip the switch.lol. I honestly think the longevity of it is my boat isn't a daily driver in saltwater .

Reactions: DoctorOctopus

JRyan

Reaction score
Thanks, I will contact Grady their customer service is really good

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure

I’m in the same situation as you. Will be installing the pickup, seacock, livewell pump, and re-plumbing the washdown this weekend if the weather cooperates. Will let you know what measurements I use; verifying with a friend with an Overnighter 20 today.

JRyan

Reaction score
I’m in the same situation as you. Will be installing the pickup, seacock, livewell pump, and re-plumbing the washdown this weekend if the weather cooperates. Will let you know what measurements I use; verifying with a friend with an Overnighter 20 today.
Thank you I appreciate it.