Reaction score
Introducing the Canyon Draggin'
my 2nd Grady
100_1439.JPG

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sweet!

My second boat (all GW) was a 1997 272 which I thoroughly enjoyed. Only thing better is bigger (but you have a few years to think about that). :D

Is it a 2008? Looks to be rigged nice and with F250s. Bet it FLYS (in 1997 the 225 EFIs were considered high HP for the boat). What electronics and where is your port?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
new boat

Awesome boat!! Good luck with her!!! I'm sure those awesome bars you rig will have no problem making that deck EXTRA Bloody!!!!

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Details

Thanks Guys.
Megabytes; She is a 2002 with twin 225F's that had 86 hours on them when I got her 3 weeks ago. Last week, she just had her first real 100 hour check up. Yes, those are the original motors and thats all the hours on the hull. She is brand new :)

There are not much in the way of electronics, but those who know me, know I'll be changing that real soon.. I plan to go with a complete NAVNET 3d Furuno set up with two 10" displays, through hull AIRMAR 1kw ducer, radar and auto pilot. I spend most of my time offshore outa Ocean City Tuna fishing.

The trailer was custom made with the hepl of Gary Straw at Loadmaster in Ohio. Its a 26k capacity beast complete with a 50 gallon freshwater washdown system, mounted between the C-Beams just forward of the #1 axel. In the utility box I have a 6GPH pump, hose fittings and cleaning gear. There is enough pressure to run two hoses at a time, with a 3rd running part time cleaning fish. I owe Gary a video of the system in operation at the ramp, so when I get it done I will post a link here also. Loadmaster really hooked me up, I cannot say enough good things about the Straw family that runs Loadmaster.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Cool. That is one h*ll of a trailer. It may be more accurate to call it a portable dock. :lol:

I am jealous of your package. Those you know *me* understand I have a penchant for toys, especially electronics. I am also a huge Furuno fan (time for Joe to chime in). The new 3D gear looks very impressive from the demos I have seen on the net. I have 2 of the original Navnets so I can relate to multiple screens. That is an awesome package for 282.
You may want to check out the new Garmin APs. As much as I like Simard, the new Garmin model is a TR1 with (finally) a nice display. There is a good chance I'll go with one on the next boat.

Hmm...time to start planning Megabytes 3 (still a few year away). :D

Kenlahr

Reaction score
I will give the Garmin a look. However, unless something really pops I would like to keep this package all Furuno. I plan to install the NavPilot 500 and plug it into the NAVNET system. I had Furuno, Lowrance and Ray Marine on my Gulf Stream and none of them talked 100% to each other.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
new boat

That is amazing you found a 2002 with such low hours. We bought our boat, also a 2002 this spring with 140hours and we thought that was low. We put 150hours on it in one season. Let me know how the Navnet 2D system works. I saw it at a show and was very impressed by it and was considering upgrading to it. Would love to hear some input after you get it installed and use it a few times. Also would love to hear what AP you go with. That is another little toy I plan to add as well. Good luck with the boat and your trailerable "dock".

gw204

Reaction score
Very nice Ken. Congrats!!! :)

megabytes said:
Sweet!

Is it a 2008? Looks to be rigged nice and with F250s. Bet it FLYS (in 1997 the 225 EFIs were considered high HP for the boat).

You gotta go for a ride on my 252. I'm flirting with 50 fairly heavily loaded... :D

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Thanks Brian. I mave been running outa PLO this past week. We are now looking at putting in at the Rec center at Solomans. Or, if this fall run continues as good as it has been, I may bet to put in right here in West River!!

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have heard very good things about the NavPilots as well. Simrads have always worked well for me EXCEPT at slow trolling live bait at idle speed in cross wind over 10 kts. It is my understanding that the Garmin (TR-1 Gladiator) has very sophisticated software that will allow it to maintain course even in reverse. Since I live bait quite a bit I am very interested in the Garmin/TR1 next time. I believe there are a few GW owners here who have the original TR1.

BTW: Check out the Furuno RD30. Best value in the biz (tight Joe) :D

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
autopilots

I agree with Megabytes. TR-1 is an excellent system. If you stick with Furuno, you cannot go wrong with the RD30.

Was thinking of you today. Went fishing today off NJ and had 100+lb bluefins surfacing all day about 2 miles offshore. The fish were moving S. very fast and should be in your neck of the woods very soon. Unfortunetly, we could not troll any, conditions wer every nasty today and trolling would have been a mess. Ended up jigging Stripers even though we had the offshore gear onboard. Ended up giving my buddy some of my lures I rigged with your birds and Slammers after I showed him pics of the bluefins we crushed this season. Guess I'll be putting in another order shortly.

Tom

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Congratulations on the new Grady. She's a beauty, and one of my personal favorites :mrgreen:

Nice electronics package that you are planning. I agree with the others on the new Garmin A/P (TR-1), but there is something to be said for going all Furuno, and the Garmin, as I understand, will not be available until third quarter '08, so you will already be rigged and fishing long before then.

All the best of luck with her.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I can't wait until late 08 for the Garmin. Its bad enough I have to wait for the Navnet 3D, the hype has been killing me!

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Re: autopilots

gradyfish22 said:
I agree with Megabytes. TR-1 is an excellent system. If you stick with Furuno, you cannot go wrong with the RD30.

Was thinking of you today. Went fishing today off NJ and had 100+lb bluefins surfacing all day about 2 miles offshore. The fish were moving S. very fast and should be in your neck of the woods very soon. Unfortunetly, we could not troll any, conditions wer every nasty today and trolling would have been a mess. Ended up jigging Stripers even though we had the offshore gear onboard. Ended up giving my buddy some of my lures I rigged with your birds and Slammers after I showed him pics of the bluefins we crushed this season. Guess I'll be putting in another order shortly.

Tom

Nice Tom. There have been some Blue Fins reported at the Jack Spot outa OC. I may make a run for it next week. I am not rigged the way I would like to be, but I can manage a five to seven line spread.

Are you on our VIP list?? We have been having lots of sales, great deals!!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes I am on the VIP list, I just put an order in earlier in the week and may have to put another one in with that spreader bar deal!!! Thanks!!!

Tom