Mystery Part

Grey56

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good evening all -

Looking to identify a part - and what should be done about it. It's the rusted part to the right.

Engine Tilt.jpg

Timcan

Reaction score
That would be the trim and tilt motor to your engine. If it fails you will not be able to tilt your engine up or down.

Reactions: Grey56

Fishtales

Reaction score
Wow looks quite bad. Agree it's the motor. Time to replace asap.

seasick

Reaction score
Depending on the year, a new OEM motor can be hard to locate. If you find it, it will also be expensive. Knockoff pumps There are less expensive off-brand motors available .
Make sure you have instructions and know what you are doing before you try to remove the motor. In some cases, the whole assembly has to be removed to get to the rear bolts on the pump motor flange.
It might help to post the tear and model of your engine.
Here are some examples

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Actually, to Seasick's point about maybe having to remove the whole assembly... in this case, I think you just grab a hold of that motor and yank it off by hand! :)

Given the nice condition of everything else... I'm betting someone already replaced the motor and went with the cheapest of cheap knockoffs thinking "Ah, they're all the same... why pay extra money for a name brand".

But back on point... yes, replace this sooner than later. It's not a bad/hard job. Everywhere I looked when I wanted to remove my whole tilt assembly said you had to lift the motor off because the assembly could only be taken off "forward". After about 10 minutes of insepcting it I gave it a shot by taking it off rearward without lifting the engine. 30 minutes later I had the whole thing off and in my hands.

Obviously I can't say if that will be the case for whatever motor you have, but take a real good look at it and don't trust (this is not meant towards anything Seasick said) what you read online, or sometimes even in a service manual, as verbatim.

That said, with the right setup, it's less than an hour to lift an engine off enough to swing it out of the way enough.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I was given a used tilt assembly, not sure what model but I was told it works fine and you can have it for the cost of shipping if it happens to be the right part. What is the year and model of your motor?

Grey56

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was given a used tilt assembly, not sure what model but I was told it works fine and you can have it for the cost of shipping if it happens to be the right part. What is the year and model of your motor?
It's a 2017 Mercury Verado 200 - thanks either way!

Grey56

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Actually, to Seasick's point about maybe having to remove the whole assembly... in this case, I think you just grab a hold of that motor and yank it off by hand! :)

Given the nice condition of everything else... I'm betting someone already replaced the motor and went with the cheapest of cheap knockoffs thinking "Ah, they're all the same... why pay extra money for a name brand".

But back on point... yes, replace this sooner than later. It's not a bad/hard job. Everywhere I looked when I wanted to remove my whole tilt assembly said you had to lift the motor off because the assembly could only be taken off "forward". After about 10 minutes of insepcting it I gave it a shot by taking it off rearward without lifting the engine. 30 minutes later I had the whole thing off and in my hands.

Obviously I can't say if that will be the case for whatever motor you have, but take a real good look at it and don't trust (this is not meant towards anything Seasick said) what you read online, or sometimes even in a service manual, as verbatim.

That said, with the right setup, it's less than an hour to lift an engine off enough to swing it out of the way enough.
They're actually twin Mercury Verado 200's - both with not even 300 hours; which is why I was so surprised that this component looked so rough.

The parts are only a hundred bucks a piece - and if it's as easy as you say: might just do it on my own if the engines don't have to be lifted.

seasick

Reaction score
The Mercs are notorious for rusting trim motors.
On my Mercs, you can not easily get to the rear bolts for the trim motor. At a minimum you need to disconnect the center tilt ram rod

Grey56

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Mercs are notorious for rusting trim motors.
On my Mercs, you can not easily get to the rear bolts for the trim motor. At a minimum you need to disconnect the center tilt ram rod
Seems that way. What I'm trying to verify is whether I need to lift the engine - or if I can simply replace them without needing to have the engines propped/removed in order to do it.

Rlloyd

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
$100? I should have Merc’s!
Had to replace this on one of my F200’s two years ago, and it was about $2K installed (done by pro’s - not me).
I can absolutely verify that you want to do this before it fails - my motor and boat were out of service until it was fixed, and it did have a long lead time for Yamaha oem parts.

Grey56

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
$100? I should have Merc’s!
Had to replace this on one of my F200’s two years ago, and it was about $2K installed (done by pro’s - not me).
I can absolutely verify that you want to do this before it fails - my motor and boat were out of service until it was fixed, and it did have a long lead time for Yamaha oem parts.
The Merc's thankfully have abundant OEM & Off Brand parts that make them cheaper than even Yamaha (forget Honda from what I hear from other owners). Right now I'm just trying to figure out if I can wedge a 2x4 when they are at top tilt to keep them from coming down on me while I replace them!

Rlloyd

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The Yammies have a flip down metal support for that purpose. Do the Merc’s have something similar?

BigMoby2

Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing TWO motors for my 2005 Merc 150s. Both are REALLY rusted up. If you don't send to anyone else, I would appreciate it/them.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The Merc's thankfully have abundant OEM & Off Brand parts that make them cheaper than even Yamaha (forget Honda from what I hear from other owners). Right now I'm just trying to figure out if I can wedge a 2x4 when they are at top tilt to keep them from coming down on me while I replace them!
Isn't there a tile lock lever you can swing down? All of the Merc's I can remember seeing do.

Grey56

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Isn't there a tile lock lever you can swing down? All of the Merc's I can remember seeing do.
That's RIGHT! I do it reflexively every time we trailer the boat - I just didn't think about it until you mentioned that! THANK YOU!

seasick

Reaction score
There is a lock lever bit I also insert a hunk of wood. The motor without the tilt rod attached scares me. Also note that if you try to manually lift he motor off of the stop with the level turned off, as you lower the motor, it gets heavier and heavier. It is not a one person operation.