Naples to the Keys

KentE

Reaction score
I am taking my Grady for the first time from Naples to Ocean Reef in Key largo. I understand I need to stay south and head for the middle keys...has anyone made this trip and can provide an opinion? Thanks

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have not, but can provide an opinion anyway..(Actually a legitimate one..)

The advice to head for the Middle Keys is good..here's why.

From roughly Islamorada North to Ocean Reef the Gulf technically becomes Florida Bay. it is strewn with islands and the infamous unmarked shallow areas the Keys are known for.
There is an Intracoastal Waterway that winds it's way North on the Gulf side, but it parallels the island chain. You still have to get to it as your navigating South and it would be dicey at best to try to pick your way thru the mangrove islands and aforementioned shallow areas. The further North you strike the Island Chain as you head South from Naples, the more islands and shoal water you'll encounter.

Set your course for Vaca Cut (Marathon) or Whale Harbor Channel (Islamorada) You can pick up the Intracoastal on the Gulf side easily at either of those points and follow it North to Ocean reef.

Another option is to run one of the above channels into the Atlantic and run the Hawk Channel inside the reef to Ocean Reef that way. You'll likely encounter a head sea from the prevailing ESE winds, but they are generally 2 feet or less inside the reef. I personally would rather drop the tabs and take the headsea on the Atlantic side. The water is much cleaner and easier to navigate.

Have fun, and Git-er-done before the oil slick gets caught up in the Southerly Current that feeds the Gulfstream.
One more thing..Do not run on autopilot or keep a close watch if you do for lobster pots all the way down. Be vigilant the whole trip..If you strike one and get the wire apparatus caught in your prop, you'll have to go overboard and have wire cutters to extricate it.

Let us know how it goes..

shadow379

Reaction score
Keys

After navigating the Keys for the first time this past weekend, I can surely tell you that a paper chart is your best friend, also stay alert for the LNM broadcasts for any changes. It was blowing gusts up to 30kts, and the seas were another story, so hopefully you will have better weather. It was still a very enjoyable time, lots of good diving. Be safe..

Desperado

Reaction score
Leaving tomorrow for a week at Islamorada. Plan to pick up a paper chart while there. Hope to get some good diving and fishing in.

gerrys

Reaction score
What boat? Do you know your range? Cruise speed. Burn rate at cruise?

The trip is a piece of cake, just plot your course. Head south until you clear Cape Romano, then SSE to Cape Sable and East Cape and to the Yacht Channel as you approach Marathon. Naples on the Gulf to Marathon is 105 miles, give or take a few.

If you're running the trip in one day, from the inside of Channel 5 Bridge (which is one of the alternatives to get to Hawks Channel) to ocean reef is about 60 miles. So, if the weather gods are with you, the trip is entirely doable in a day.

If you want to stay on the inside, you can actually run up through Card Sound and out Angelfish Creek. This route would take you a little north of Ocean reef so you'd have to double back a few miles once you got outside.

Or you could cut through Adams Cut, or Tavernier Creek (fixed 15' bridge), or Snake Creek.

KentE

Reaction score
Thanks, we have recently bought a 2005 36 express and will run to Ocean Reef and then a few weeks later head to Green Turtle>>>cant wait. I appreciate the help

gerrys

Reaction score
if you haven't run it on the inside before, I suggest doing it one way or the other. Lot's of scenery - cool trip.

ahill

Reaction score
A friend of mine just made the trip in a 25' Parker Cuddy. A little less draft than my 272 m,aybe 2-3"
They came across the bay south of Flamingo into Buttonwood Sound.
Years ago we would run all over between Key Largo and Flamingo. Can get shallow quick. A lot of boats run south of Rabbit Key Basin & in to Whale Harbor. Also look for Yacht Channel. I'll look at my charts this weekend amd give you a route.

KentE

Reaction score
Thanks very much. I really appreciate your help.

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
know you don't want the entire run maybe, but the crossing to the NW channel in Key West is easy, overnight at Galleon, then head back in the ICW to where ever is a lot of fun and you get to see a ton of stuff. To me, middle keys are somewhere between boring or over the top for the super rich. Thats just me, but good luck where ever you go. As the other folks have said, pay attention, channels change and it gets really shallow really fast, sunlight angle / wave height is a huge factor if you are not familiar with the waters

SCAdventure

Reaction score
There's a passenger boat that makes that run every day from Naples and Marco to Key West. You might be able to get some information from them.

KentE

Reaction score
thanks to all...made the trip this weekend. flat day on the bay ran in 20 feet of water until we get close (10 out of Islandmarda)...was beautiful and well worth it...thanks to all

Blackbird

Reaction score
I routinely run my boat to the Keys from further north (Palm Harbor) to Marathon. From Big Marco Pass, the heading is 155 magnetic to the Vaca Cut. This is unobstructed. Once in the Keys waters, you could run in the Bay side but make sure you have current charts. There are lots of shallow areas in the way. Running a more easterly or direct course from Cape Romano also has several islands and shallows in between. It's an easy run on the Ocean side from Marathon to Key Largo. If I was going to go to Ocean Reef, I'd go to Marathon first and then to Key Largo on the ocean side. Hope this helps.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Blackbird..I said roughly the same thing above.
Have you ever ran the Gulf/Fla. Bay route inside to Ocean reef?
gerrys says above it's a neat trip to make.

KentE..Fill us in..Scenery good? Any tricky areas?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I made the run from Tarpon Springs to Marathon in a 22 Grady years ago. It was a nice easy 300 mile trip. I agree that you should head for Vaca Cut to avoid the shallow stuff. There are usually a lot of abandoned crap pots. Watch out for them. We fouled the prop on one halfway across Florida Bay and had to go overboard for the fix.

KentE

Reaction score
Ran the gulf/bay route this weekend, was beautiful. I was worried about getting caught up in the feather beds and shallows as we worked our way over...however by just running a little south we stayed in 15 - 20 feet of water...beautiful run...very protected so it was glass most of the way...we met the key at Islandmarada and there were a few channel passes to obey but nothing difficult.

As for the inside run in the keys, I have been doing that since I was 16, now 46 and its a beautiful as ever and an extremely worth while trip. Here is what I like:

!. Intercoastal winds back and fourth...fun to navigate without any difficulty.
2. Protected water so at worse you have a 2 foot chop
3. Countless little mangrove islands.
4. Some of Florida's prettiest water
%. Plenty of places to stop and enjoy

We try to do the bahamas every year but truthfully this can be just about as much fun without the cost and adventure. Ocean Reef is great as well.

Blackbird

Reaction score
Magicabill

Sorry for the delay. To answer your Q, No, I have not gone on the Bay side any further north than the Long Key Viaduct. According to the charts, it can be done but I'd recommend taking your time w/ all the banks along the way. Hawk Channel gives you a clear shot on the Ocean side. That would be my first choice.

Regards,

John B.
Blackbird

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
That's always been my thought. As I said above to kentE.I'd rather put the tabs down and run a bit slower outside.
I have paper charts up past Islamorada. I'd rather do that run with someone who has local knowledge.
We stay on Duck Key, so we usually head South toward Marathon, Sombrero, Looe, etc...