Naples to the Keys

G8RDave

Reaction score
I'm going to be making a similar trip in the next two weeks. Some buddies and I are going on a "road trip" from Tampa to somewhere in the Keys. The goal of the trip is not so much to get to a specific destination as it is to stop at cool places along the way. The extremely tentative plan right now is to make it to Everglades City the first day (after stopping at Cabbage Key, Green Flash, Salty Sams, Snook Inn, Dolphin Tiki and any other place we hear about). The next day we'll head for the Keys (most likely Marathon). I'm not sure if we'll stay in Mararthon more than one night as we might bounce down to Key West or up to Islamorada.

Any sugggestions for places that shouldn't be missed?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi Dave..
Marco and Naples are neat stops.Nothing specific..just good, protected harbors.
South of Marco, as you probably know are the 10,000 islands. I have run inside out of Marco River Marina and wound the channel around to Coon Key Light. At that point it seemed best to go offshore, as the markers ended.

I have not made the offshore run to the Keys, but, as I told KentE in the opening threads of this post, watch for lobster pots as you cruise South.

Once in Marathon, there is a good on the water eatery there..near Vaca Cut..can't remember the name of the joint..crap...
There is a sand spit, uncovered at Low Tide just North of Marathon, Atlantic side..Easy anchorage, wander around and look at occasional rays, fish, girls, etc.
Must see's in my mind are Bahia Honda State Park, Atlantic side. Located South of 7 Mile Bridge. great anchorages, approach slowly from offshore, have your drives trimmed up as you get close. I believe it's the Ohio-Something channel..My brain has shut off today..I can't remember anything.

Looe Key is another. It's part of the Atlantic Reef, off Big Pine Key. There is a navigational lite there to mark the section of the Reef that is above water. It breaks the SE swell of the Atlantic and is a great, calm anchorage that has bouys to tie up to. Snorkeling is unreal.

Not much further on until Key West..Gallieons Marina is first-rate. great facilities and real pro-dockmasters. You DO pay for it, over $100.00 per nite. It's a perfect place to wander Key West and see all the wierd characters and hit the eateries.

Have fun..Great vacation destination fo' sure...

G8RDave

Reaction score
Thanks Magic. I doubt we'll head down to Key West. I've been there a bunch and I haven't really seen much of the other keys yet. Looe Key sounds great.