Need Insurance Recommendation

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I'm in New England/Connecticut and I hate GEICO
Maybe it's just me but customer service is terrible and it's a 10% increase every year despite 18 years of no claims.
Suggestions?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm on the opposite coast and used to have Traveler's for everything, but when I bought my boat in October of 2021 they told me that I couldn't insure the boat for more than what I paid for it. Which was obviously a deal breaker to me as I paid $26.5k for my boat and it's worth at least double that out here. I started looking around and realized that I could save about $400 a year by bundling all of my policies with Progressive. They even throw in vessel assist towing for like an extra $30 a year in my area, which is nice in the event that I were to ever break down. I've got Progressive for my home, boat, auto insurance policies and I get a discount with them since I use Hagerty for my classic cars. I'd suggest, if you haven't done so already, try to find a company where you can bundle all of your accounts together to get the best pricing. I was going to suggest Boat US but it looks like they farm it out to Geico, not sure about Chubb though, and have heard they're pretty decent.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I used to have insurance thru Boat US, but when they partnered with Geico things went downhill. I had the same experience with nonsensical rate increases. I dumped them and went with AAA of SoCal and I'm very happy. Unfortunately, not an option for you back East. Look around, I'm sure it will not take you long to find a better alternative.

seasick

Reaction score
I have Progressive and am happy with the company. That said rates have increased over the last years mostly due to all the claims from natural disasters, storms etc. It doesn't mater that you haven't had claims, what matters is the companies payouts for all their customers. Of course if you had claims, you might see larger increases or even get dropped. You will see the same policy premium creep on homeowners insurance too.
Although the insurance companies do play 'games' with premium pricing, you may want to loo at your policy to see what deductibles you have and if raising them is something you can live with.
If you have an 'agreed upon' value policy that number may need to be adjusted to more accurately reflect the true value of the boat. I know folks who have high values in their policies and tell me what a deal they have if the vessel is totaled. The part they miss is that they are paying for those bloated valuations.
A funny thing that occurred during Covid days was that many used and new boats dramatically increased in value due to demand. In those cases I suspect a lot of boats were underinsured but that mainia has seemed to subsided somewhat.

steveditt

Reaction score
I have everything with Travelers , a few years bad my wife was in a serious car accident from day one they were excellent so important when you need them , I have my two boats covered with them , last year had some small damage claim was on hold until I could determine how bad very easy to work with .

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I used to have everything bundled with Liberty Mutual. About $10K in total policy premiums/year. House, 3 cars, umbrella policy, etc. And I also took out an electronics policy. This covered any electronic with a processor including computers, laptops, tablets, cell phones and even flat screen TV.s. $50 deductible and the policy was like $45/yr.
So in a 5 year period I racked up 4 claims on the electronics policy. Coffee spilled on the laptop and a few cellphone screens. About $8-900 in total. No other claims.
Then Liberty Mutual doubled (DOUBLED) my home policy from $2800 to $5500/yr
My new independent agent searches out the best and most reasonably priced policies for my cars, house, etc.
His opinion that I now share is that insurance is for a catastrophic event and not for small claims.
If I were to bundle my boat with Progressive the boat policy may be the same or more but this gives Progressive the opportunity to undercut the other policies. I think it's best to keep the policies al la carte

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
With my 20fter I was with Boat/US before they went to Geico. Rates went up so went to Progressive (thru USAA) for a while. They hiked rates. Then I got the 265. I need agreed value $60k because I added new motors and electronics and the boat is worth way more than when I bought it. I also run out to 100 miles. After many quotes from quotes from Progressive, Chubb, and National Boating something?, I settled on Boat/US-Geico. They specifically cover out to the canyons and they do agreed value and they have unlimited towing included
The others had limits on distance from land and limited towing unless you pay more. I haven't had any claims so my rate has gone down (very slightly).
I don't bundle boat with Home/auto/life because I use USAA for decades and no one will beat that.
I have not had an insurance claim in decades so idk if the cust support is any good. I imagine they all suck. Their business is to not pay out as much as they take in. I think companies try to lowball car insurance quotes for "6 month" rates and then jack you up when they got you..

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
The one thing I would say to make sure of with whatever insurance company you use, see what you "offshore" limits are!

I asked when I was renewing mine with Metlife. They told me I had only been insured for river's, lakes, etc, I wasn't insured for ocean! When I asked about offshore limits, they only allowed a max of 25 miles.

I'm going to be going with Chubb insurance. Pay a bit more, but they have some really good coverage.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
with CHUBB you have to specify offshore. I seem to remember they maxed at 60 miles unless you went up to a "cruising" or "yacht" policy ...which was another level of pain...

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I used to have everything bundled with Liberty Mutual. About $10K in total policy premiums/year. House, 3 cars, umbrella policy, etc. And I also took out an electronics policy. This covered any electronic with a processor including computers, laptops, tablets, cell phones and even flat screen TV.s. $50 deductible and the policy was like $45/yr.
So in a 5 year period I racked up 4 claims on the electronics policy. Coffee spilled on the laptop and a few cellphone screens. About $8-900 in total. No other claims.
Then Liberty Mutual doubled (DOUBLED) my home policy from $2800 to $5500/yr
My new independent agent searches out the best and most reasonably priced policies for my cars, house, etc.
His opinion that I now share is that insurance is for a catastrophic event and not for small claims.
If I were to bundle my boat with Progressive the boat policy may be the same or more but this gives Progressive the opportunity to undercut the other policies. I think it's best to keep the policies al la carte
I've been fortunate to not spill or damage any home electronics, or at least anything that had much value at all, and unfortunately with most it's usually something where it's cheaper and easier to pay out of pocket. Or if you have Apple products, you can always pay for whatever the Apple insurance plan is for your phones or electronics. Not sure how PC products work, but I imagine they probably have something similar. With regards to having an insurance broker, I had one for years when I had Traveler's insurance and I couldn't stand them. They charged brokers fees on top of the already somewhat above average insurance prices and I had a multitude of issues with them. The first and biggest was when they told me I didn't have coverage on a previous boat that I had just purchased and was driving across the country with. I called up Traveler's to confirm this and they said that was absolutely incorrect. I had at least three pretty serious issues with them one after an insurance claim from another person that hit me and to where the broker said I wasn't covered. After dealing with their crap for a few years and having a few issues with them, that's when I switched over to Progressive and honestly think that a broker is going to be a waste of money. I did a quick Google search for home, auto and boat policies, of which in about 20 minutes or so I found the top three that I was considering and after bundling everything together Progressive was going to be cheaper, and again they were about $400 less on my daily driver vehicles alone than Traveler's was. Hopefully the agent is someone you know and trust because I had a pretty terrible experience with the agents/brokers that I dealt with. Good luck!

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
Definately sounds like your broker and his choice of companies was a bad experience. I went with a personal recommendation from 2 of my friends that use my current broker for over 15 years. My house payment went from $5500 to $3000 and my cars went from $3900 to $2100. Coverage is identical and includes glass. My umbrella policy went up like $100. I own a Ferrari and he recommended Hagerty and put through the paperwork even though he makes nothing from that transaction. He saved me a bunch and responds immediately to my emails. I sent him the new boat policy and will see if he can do anything for me. We will see.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
check your progressive policy regarding the definition of "coastal". distance...Canadian waters... dunno what yours says but in my quote on East coast it was not out to the canyons.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I fired Boat US/Geico last year after over 25 years with them. The rate increase was absurd. I went with Foremost - which is the marine insurance division of Farmers. No complaints, same coverage as I had with Boat US/Geico and the premium was a few bucks cheaper.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have Allstate. I bundled boat with the cars, been pretty happy with them so far.....knock on wood!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
check your progressive policy regarding the definition of "coastal". distance...Canadian waters... dunno what yours says but in my quote on East coast it was not out to the canyons.
If that's for me, I don't ever go out to Canadian waters in the first place, but if I did, I have a buddy that lives in Sequim, which is right across the way from Vancouver Island. So I'd likely go out fishing with him instead of trailering my boat all the way over there.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have Allstate. I bundled boat with the cars, been pretty happy with them so far.....knock on wood!
Not sure which policy you have with Allstate but my uncle had a policy with them and they tried screwing him over on his boat after it was a total loss. The boat was on the buoy during a wind storm and the chain snapped on the buoy. The boat drifted down the beach and was on the sand for a couple of days after I put an anchor out. A few days later we came back, walked out to knee deep of water and then he took the boat back to where he had it dry stored. He then put the boat back out on the buoy, I don't believe he ever had it inspected, but a few days later it sank. He said he was paying the premiums on the boat and said the value was supposed to be $35k, though I honestly don't know if that was an agreed upon value insurance policy or if it was based off of current blue book values. I'm assuming the latter but I could be mistaken? Anyway, they started at offering him only $8k, saying that there was a "similar" boat to his in Louisiana or someplace like that, which was selling for $8k. Anyway, long story short, he finally got a price that he was ok with, though I don't believe it was the $35k figure that he initially told them he wanted. I guess Allstate said that he could take them to court, but it likely wouldn't have been worth the cost and hassle. Long story short, make sure you, as well as everyone else here, have an agreed upon value insurance policy. That way if the boat is a total loss then you'll get the full amount, not what the insurance company thinks the boat is worth in its current state. Which if it it's totaled, then it'll likely not be worth anywhere near what you've got into it.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I had GEICO/Boat US for 7 years and then Progressive for 3. With the 305 Express we just got both were pretty high. I got a quote for Sea Tow and they wrote it though NH Insurance Company and were significantly cheaper. Only the first year with them so we will see what next year brings.

Progressive was funny with their bundling. We had a 18' Sportsman we sold around the time we bought the Express last fall. Insuring both boats was cheaper than just the Express, I know bundling gets better pricing but I even called Tham and said that made no sense and Progressive didn't have much else to offer in a response.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
^^^I have SeaInsure (via NH Insurance via AIG).

I have an email out to SeaInsure regarding how far from land my coverage is in effect. I could not find a reference to a specific distance from shore (e.g. 10, 20, 30 miles). I will provide an update when I hear back from them.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have an agreed policy with Markel American Ins co. Never had a claim so I can't say how good they are.