New boat tool set

JMAT

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
Good evening all,

After a 10 month wait by 325 Freedom has finally arrived. Did my first part of orientation today and my Grady captain thought it would be a good idea to have some basic tools onboard. Boat will be used in saltwater. Wanted to get some ideas on what tools you guys would recommend and should I try to buy only stainless? I am somewhat handy but will not be rebuilding engines. Just looking for suggestions for some basic tools.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Basic tools. Set of pliers, set of screwdrivers, voltmeter, small set of wrenches and socket set. Shrink wrap tubing, electrical tape. Tool box that you can tuck underneath somewhere to stay dry. You aren't going to rebuild an engine. Just enough to do simple stuff. Stop at Lowes for Craftsman tools. I keep this on the boat.

I have kitty litter bins with specialized tools that I keep in storage off the boat. Transfer pump, soldering kit, heavy duty sockets, air impact wrench, steering fill kit, etc. For trailering I have a bottle jack, wood, spare bearings, etc.

Last edited:

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Agree with hookup. Definitely stainless. You want some basics if you need it.

this kit has the sockets and screwdrivers and is pretty small.
DEWALT Mechanics Tool Set, 84-Piece (DWMT81531) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0767QTGF...t_i_Q2Q1AW4W85G23Q2ZT251?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Adjustable wrenches (a large and small one) come in handy as well.

can get a couple of these cases pretty cheap
Attwood 11834-1 Waterproof Boater's Dry Box, Bright Safety Orange https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DJUXE...t_i_7CS9TAQ2TM78VH4B38Q3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I’d also recommend a set of these
Almencla 20pcs Marine Boat Wooden... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V959F2W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And don’t forget a first aid kit, flares and sunscreen!
Coleman Sportsman Waterproof First Aid Kit - 100 Pieces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BIRMW4...t_i_8D93WFCR2AV6Q7KYCXF5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agree with hookup. Definitely stainless. You want some basics if you need it.

this kit has the sockets and screwdrivers and is pretty small.
DEWALT Mechanics Tool Set, 84-Piece (DWMT81531) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0767QTGF...t_i_Q2Q1AW4W85G23Q2ZT251?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
That tool set isn’t going to be stainless steel and will unfortunately very likely rust within a season or two. If you really want to do it the right way then I’d spend the money and get actual stainless steel tools that will last.

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
After you acquire some tools, some advice....I spray my tools liberally with WD40 and keep a thin cloth soaked with wd40 in the tool container. Relatively inexpensive tools can last a long time like this. I've not found any that are truly rust proof in salt water environment unless protected and coated in some kind of corrosion inhibitor.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
The same cheap socket set has been on the boat for over 10 years. When it rusts I'll pitch it and buy another.

My father lived at sea 7-10 days at a time when I was growing up. He always just had regular craftsman stuff. The issue was always finding storage that had stainless hinges more than the actual tools. In the later year he had some Ryobi cordless stuff to cut hydraulic hoses. You would think it wouldn't last but it did. Cleaning your stuff and the storage will make cheaper tools go a long way.

seasick

Reaction score
Assuming you will carry a few spare filters, make sure you have what you would need to swap those filters. I also carry a 12v test lamp, some folks carry a cheap multimeter too.
I find the following types of boxes work very well at keeping things dry

Plano 1612-50 Deep Dry Marine Storage Box​

There are anti rust sheets that you can put in a tool box. I used to see them a lot but note recently. If anyone knows a source, chime in

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
In addition to the above stuff, I have a Strap wrench, small screw gun, sandpaper. I also have an ammo box with a variety of fuses, nuts/bolts, screws, hose clamps, O-rings, wire, electrical connections, zip ties.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Assuming you will carry a few spare filters, make sure you have what you would need to swap those filters. I also carry a 12v test lamp, some folks carry a cheap multimeter too.
I find the following types of boxes work very well at keeping things dry

Plano 1612-50 Deep Dry Marine Storage Box​

There are anti rust sheets that you can put in a tool box. I used to see them a lot but note recently. If anyone knows a source, chime in
I have used the plastic pieces and also the gel packs that come in electronics. Both can be found cheap on Amazon.

Zerust Rust Prevention Plastabs 1" x 3" - Pack of 10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ULSW6FS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_ZASR27WNXC0SY5Z77718

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
That tool set isn’t going to be stainless steel and will unfortunately very likely rust within a season or two. If you really want to do it the right way then I’d spend the money and get actual stainless steel tools that will last.
oh sorry, I linked a chrome plated set, but either way, quite honestly dude, your posts are a bit obnoxious sometimes…I don’t think you really mean to be that way, just reread your posts to yourself before you submit. Btw I’ve had that set on my boat for 3 years with no rust.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What tools to keep on board has as many answers as "What's the best oil?". :)

But, here's some ideas.

-- Forespar Sta-plug. Much better than wooden bungs.
-- A toilet bowl wax ring is good, too.
-- On the engines, most every nut or bolt will be 10mm or 12mm. There's a couple larger ones - but pliers can usually work for those.
-- Zip ties
-- Basic hand tools
-- Electrical tape
-- Extra F/W seps for boat-side filters and a strap wrench
-- A small assortment of extra fuses
-- Cheap multimeter

Reactions: Ryhlick

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Dennis, what is the toilet bowl wax ring for ?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Dennis, what is the toilet bowl wax ring for ?
It can be "squished" into odd shaped gouges or holes (smaller ones)... or even plug a seacock "tube" (say the hose ruptured but you can't close the seacock because you never "exercised" it a few times a year). The Sta-plug works really well, too, for odd shaped things. But the wax ring is a nice "extra" to have and it's cheap.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a few tool boxes that are sized to fit underneath the seats under the walk around recess. Out of the way and dry. I also store a medium sized Craftsman socket set and wrenches under the rear seat where the 2-cycle oil reservoir was. It has a bolt with a wing nut to make sure it stays closed. Microwave cabinet converted to tackle storage where hardware, fuses, misc stuff stored in Plano box.

Tool storage.jpg tempImage9hNPu7.png tempImageyfRKmz.png

Last edited:

Rlloyd

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I keep my specialized kits in Plano trays - one for electrical, one for rivets, and one for stainless hardware. I keep a wire stripper/crimper , conductive grease, tape and silicone sealer in the electrical tray along with plenty of terminations and fuses.
A battery-powered drill/driver is also a good thing to have aboard.
Most important tool for me - the multimeter.

seasick

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more items that come to mind but in reality, the tools and supplies you need kinda depend o you boating style. For example, if you fish, you should carry a diagonal cutter pliers just in case you have to cut a fishing hook in half to get it out of a body part:)
If your boating is in shallow waters, you might want to carry a spare prop AND a prop wrench. You can use that diagonal cutter you have for fish hooks to bend/cut/pull the cotter pin!

That battery jump box mentioned by Sdfish is also a good idea in a lot of instances.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
What tools to keep on board has as many answers as "What's the best oil?". :)

But, here's some ideas.

-- Forespar Sta-plug. Much better than wooden bungs.
-- A toilet bowl wax ring is good, too.
-- On the engines, most every nut or bolt will be 10mm or 12mm. There's a couple larger ones - but pliers can usually work for those.
-- Zip ties
-- Basic hand tools
-- Electrical tape
-- Extra F/W seps for boat-side filters and a strap wrench
-- A small assortment of extra fuses
-- Cheap multimeter
Good list so I'll just add..
--1 gallon of motor oil. Check your oil...
-- oil funnel
-- 1 qt of Hydraulic fluid (unless you have that fancy electric steering)
-- Silicone spray
-- WD40
-- epoxy glue and 3M 4200
-- a small hack saw blade w/handle
-- a kit with assorted red/blue/yellow terminals in sizes that fit your electric panels
-- a kit of SS screws & nuts & washers
-- a bag of RAGS and "boat" towels

Suzuki motors come with an essential tool kit that has just the tools and sizes you need to remove the clamshell, change a spark plug/filter/thermistat/anode/oil...
IDK if Yamaha does that. I keep one of those on the boat and never use it so I will always have a full kit.

I would't waste money on a SS set of tools.
I have a plastic tool box with a cheap set of metric and standard wrenches & sockets. I have deep sockets in 7/16, 1/2 & 9/16.
I have a bunch of the 6 way screwdrivers in various states of rust and missing pieces.
I have a bunch of needlenose pliers in various states of rust... as well as a pair of SS needlenose for fishing.
I have several LED flashlights/penlights that mostly work...

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A handy thing to organize and store your tools in is clear tennis ball cans. They are pretty air tight, a good size for wrenches, screw drivers, flares, etc, and you can see what is in each one. And they are free in the trashcan at your local tennis court. The 4 ball cans were popular at one time, but I don't see them much anymore.
The combo screw drivers save space.

Reactions: Byram

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I pack a few tools wrapped and in a waterproof container, but often consider just how much engine issues I could fix hanging over the stern to diagnose and repair a minor problem, never mind a major, which is unlikely. I understand wiring problems and fuel filter changes on the water, but I guess my comfort is making sure I have done all the maintenance, and checking anything that appears to be a potential problem. Yes, having kicker does bring some peace of mind. Having said all that, sh.... happens and one should be as prepared as you can to preserve the day and possibly a life.

Reactions: Rlloyd and Sdfish