New Boat - what will it take for you to buy one?

bhemi

Reaction score
some simple rules for a stress free life

NEVER borrow to buy a depreciating asset. Don't insure liablities, this includes your wife and kids. Buy the boat you need not the boat that looks good at the dock. Be realistic in how much time you have to use the thing. I would like a newer, bigger and shinier boat but I walk by really nice boats suffering from benign neglect on the way to my boat which might not be pretty or the latest and greatest but it's mine and it's paid for.

Seadog

Reaction score
5 boats in 6 years!!!! My wife has had enough and said that she expects me to hold onto the 'new' boat for at least 2 years :shock: Will see how I go.

Brad1

Reaction score
Might be a while for me. I sold my GW last year because I wasn't using it. Loved that boat though. Can't say enough good about it.

My circumstances aren't lined up for another one right now. I have two Son's that are heavily involved in sports year round. Including traveling tournament leagues. They love it, maintain straight As in school. So my hobbies are secondary for now. Also, I'm in a situation with my job in which I'm on call one week out of each month. Lastly, aside from the local rivers here in Pittsburgh (which I would not subject a fine Grady too), the nearest most suitable body of water for a Grady White is Lake Erie and it's a 145 mile drive one way. That means it takes at least a full day (if not a day-and-a-half) to use a Grady. I just don't have that kind of time right now. And when the time comes that I will be able to use a Grady, my Son's will be reaching college age (they're 14 and 11 right now).

When I do finally go to buy one, I will be buying used. I'm done buying brand new boats.