New fishfinder/gps shopping

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have the older 2002 Faruno chart plotter pictured on my Overnighter. More and more it’s been freezing up and loses depth at times.
Time for a new unit with improved imaging, being simple to operate and side scan. ;)
I don’t want to go crazy (but it might be a little late for
that) and trying to keep it from being too expensive.
Lowrance Hook looks good but I’m leaning towards Simrad Go7 with active imaging and side scan.
The Simrad is at the absolute top of what I’d like to spend but seems worth it. It’s overall dimensions make it smaller in width than the Farino I have by 2” while the screen is 2” larger diagonally.
It also functions like my iPhone making it possibly easier for me to work with. Anyone have any input on this unit pros or cons?
I know we see Simrad on wicked tuna and other shows. Is that due to aggressive marketing, lots of hype or are they “that good” ?
D8133638-BC1E-4D6F-94D3-BD93371F7C30.jpeg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So your looking at 7 inch GPS/Chart/FF(sidescan) all in one so you're talking $500-$800
Within a price range, all the manufacturers sonars are about the same. Make sure the transducer is included or factor that in...

The (included) Maps can be much different. If you are going to fish coastal/offshore, don't get Inland LAKE maps....there will be a different price...
Definitely pay attention to the details of what you are buying .

The biggest difference between mfgs is the user interface/menus. Touch screen/buttons/both?
Go to west marine and play with the dislay units find the brand with a menu that works best for you.

There were some good sales a while back but I don't see them now. I found that Garmin is only discounted hard when there is a model change. Probably the same with others.
Take a look at Garmin Echo74svx.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Simrad will have better chart options, but other than that I would stick with Garmin. They are currently changing models again. West Marine had the 94sv plus on sale for $799. I would assume the 7" is a couple hundred bucks cheaper. Down side is that you can't overlay radar if you want that option.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m in the market as well right now for a new gps/ Fishfinder. So far, the best deals were from Black Friday last year with the Garmin’s about 35% or so at West Marine, including transducer and offshore maps. The late June specials were pretty close as well.

My plan is basically what SkunkBoat said above and go to West Marine to play with the units. If I can live with any, I’ll go with the best deal rather than focus on Simrad. Between now and Black Friday, you should see come across various specials.

I am upgrading from similar age electronics as you so we can’t really go wrong with whatever brand we choose.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’ll be getting one with basic coastal charts For inshore wrecks, reefs and navigation. It’s an overnighter so I’m not going offshore. I don’t have an arch or hardtop so no radar either. What I do want is really clear Imagining with side scan. The $500 to $800 range is what I had in mind which means if I see a really good unit I’d probably stretch it to a grand.
Lowrance Hook had a feature that differentiates between vegetation and fish by color yellow / fish arches and vegetation/red.
I had planned to go to WM to do just that and as I’m hopping on the bike my wife heading out too had a problem with the Jeep. Ended up towing it to the shop , stuck in neutral despite what the gear selector was in.:rolleyes:
Now I’ve got a repair bill coinciding with my efforts to get something for the boat. Isn’t that always the case?

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I’ll be getting one with basic coastal charts For inshore wrecks, reefs and navigation. It’s an overnighter so I’m not going offshore. I don’t have an arch or hardtop so no radar either. What I do want is really clear Imagining with side scan. The $500 to $800 range is what I had in mind which means if I see a really good unit I’d probably stretch it to a grand.
Lowrance Hook had a feature that differentiates between vegetation and fish by color yellow / fish arches and vegetation/red.
I had planned to go to WM to do just that and as I’m hopping on the bike my wife heading out too had a problem with the Jeep. Ended up towing it to the shop , stuck in neutral despite what the gear selector was in.:rolleyes:
Now I’ve got a repair bill coinciding with my efforts to get something for the boat. Isn’t that always the case?

I would go with the Garmin 94sv Plus ($799) or the 7" version. If the UHD models come down ($1100ish) that would be even better.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
You can see in the pic the Faruno overall is about 9” wide. If a unit with a 9” diagonal screen works out to be the same width and becomes affordable I might grab it but I don’t want anything larger. A 7” screen would still be an improvement over what I have now (5”).
I’ve noticed the transducers for side scan units are really long and I’m wondering if there’s anymore to mounting it on my transom than what I have there now. Shooting out sideways is there an issue with placement with concerns of the lower unit on the motor being in the way?

620E95EC-377B-4B4B-80AA-242FA9B4F7F9.png

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Went to WM today and got a good look at the units and put them thru their paces. For simplicity and ease of use, specifically my understanding And use of the units Simrad and Lowrance stood out.
It figures they’d be together on the way they work because they are both made by Navico. I had them figured out in about 10 minutes and they were right they both reminded me of my iPhone. 7” or 9” ? The 9” screen wins hands down. Out of all the units I liked the Simrad GO9 and Lowrance Elite 9. Between the 2 the Lowrance had more pronounced imaging on the down scope defining fish arches making them more recognizable.
The side scan between the two are exactly the same and are amazing. I think I’m settling on the Lowrance. I’ll be haunting the catalogs and vendor sites watching for a decent sale to jump.
218577C5-E7E3-4371-8FDC-B31B55BA9116.jpeg
A0CB06FE-3D39-4F40-A898-848A35B0DA34.png

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I had an older Elite5 on my old V20. It was a good machine. The images are never quite as good as in Simulate mode ;)
let me know how that veggie ID works.

You only have two places to put the transducer that don't interfere with tabs or motor and I think they prefer one side based on prop rotation.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I had an older Elite5 on my old V20. It was a good machine. The images are never quite as good as in Simulate mode ;)
let me know how that veggie ID works.

You only have two places to put the transducer that don't interfere with tabs or motor and I think they prefer one side based on prop rotation.
That’d probably be starboard where the Farunos transducer presently is.
No planers on my boat so that won’t be a factor.
I guess the simulation thing is about the same for all of them. There’s a certain amount of hype in everything but I hope it helps with vegetation. Some days down by me there is so much crap in the water, that sea lettuce that it clutters up the screen so bad can’t tell what I’m looking at.
There’s other little things like it’ll pair with my phone to show texts on the screen. That’s like buying a car for cup holders but I can see it working. I really like the simplicity and touch screen though.
The real plus is the side scan. When chasing stripers in 30-40’ of water and they’re up high and feeding that straight shot down won’t see them. But Sending signals out to the sides should make a world of difference.
There’s almost 20 years of technology between the Foruno and this Lowrance so will I be impressed? ;)
Ya, there’s a pretty good chance of that. :)

Last edited:

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Keep your eye on the thegpsstore. They are a great vendor! If you have any questions drop them a line as they are very helpful.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

trashpad

Reaction score
I am also wanting to upgrade the old GPS/Finder. The one that came with the boat reminds me of an old 1980's video game but works until the sales come back this fall. I have been using my iPad with the Navionics Boating app to get by and really like it. I just need to get a waterproof case and mount. I am planning to go with the Simrad GO7 XSR. I wanted a larger screen but the 7 inch will work for general running around and then will send it's screen to my iPad when my old eyes need to see the details chasing fish. That is one of the biggest features for going with the Simrad Go. I also plan to add a NMEA 2000 fuel flow unit at the same time.

I just bought a Simrad Cruise 7 for my Rib. It works well but slow to boot up and display charts. That and it does not have any NMEA ports so a nogo for the Grady.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm partial to the GO units (I've had 2). One thing to think about though, is the GO units have the card slot on the back of the unit. If you plan to flush mount, this means you will have to disassemble your dash panel to get to the back of the unit to run updates, swap the card etc... Perhaps not a dealbreaker, but annoying anyway.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I'm partial to the GO units (I've had 2). One thing to think about though, is the GO units have the card slot on the back of the unit. If you plan to flush mount, this means you will have to disassemble your dash panel to get to the back of the unit to run updates, swap the card etc... Perhaps not a dealbreaker, but annoying anyway.
No way to flush mount on an Overnighter . It will sit where the Fauno sits to the left of the helm.
The Lowrance has the card slot hidden under the “nce” in the front.
It’s not like I’m changing charts. I’ll buy it with the coastal chart installed and maybe install a mini sd card for my own charts and leave it there. The 9” Ti2 is 1” wider than the Faruno at 10-1/2”.
Here’s 2 pics to give you an idea...
48B787BA-1461-4045-8E58-4DFE55BBD184.jpeg
DDE00C79-EB6E-48D3-89D0-86868373A5DC.jpeg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You could remove the plexiglass door, have an acrylic panel made, and flush mount it there. I have a VHF and 7” combo set up exactly that way on my 225.

If you have a Navionics subscription, you will be swapping the chart card every year when you renew. Yes you can update online, but it’s a pain.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
You could remove the plexiglass door, have an acrylic panel made, and flush mount it there. I have a VHF and 7” combo set up exactly that way on my 225.

If you have a Navionics subscription, you will be swapping the chart card every year when you renew. Yes you can update online, but it’s a pain.
Not as much room as you think in there. The horizon vhf is in there and takes up most of the space.
On top it’s at least visible from the entire back deck plus the 9” will be easier to see too.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

This is my plan, the bottom edge with the latch is removable in my 288. Helps open up the hole a bit. Tentative plan is t pick up a Garmin 942xs, no Sidevu but fits with the least amount of work. Still debating jumping up to a 7610/12 or similar. Havent talked myself into rebuilding the entire dash.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
This is my plan, the bottom edge with the latch is removable in my 288. Helps open up the hole a bit. Tentative plan is t pick up a Garmin 942xs, no Sidevu but fits with the least amount of work. Still debating jumping up to a 7610/12 or similar. Havent talked myself into rebuilding the entire dash.
If you fish and are serious about it look into side scan.
Here’s a good video...
I’ve been watching Mike Smedley’s videos for bass fishing tips. He’s obviously sponsored by Simrad but that’s ok because he’s constantly pointing out user friendly tips on their units.
Watching his videos I picked up enough knowledge on them that when I went into West Marine I had a pretty good idea on how to work them.
He has many videos that explain It’s functions in detail and in a way that’s easy to understand.
He’s a charter fisherman, a regular guy.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you fish and are serious about it look into side scan.
Here’s a good video...
I’ve been watching Mike Smedley’s videos for bass fishing tips. He’s obviously sponsored by Simrad but that’s ok because he’s constantly pointing out user friendly tips on their units.
Watching his videos I picked up enough knowledge on them that when I went into West Marine I had a pretty good idea on how to work them.
He has many videos that explain It’s functions in detail and in a way that’s easy to understand.
He’s a charter fisherman, a regular guy.
Not gonna lie, I checked didn't realize it didn't have sidescan. For some reason my brain assumed it was XSV....doh

Back to the drawing board ...lol

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Lots and lots of videos of side scan imaging, At times it’s literally Like having a camera looking at what’s under the boat. I’m like a kid waiting for Christmas waiting to get this on my boat.
I might spend more time playing with the unit that actually fishing.
:)