New Grady or Used Pursuit for First Time Boat Buyer/Owner

Bubba Penguin

Reaction score
Yes, I know this is a Grady forum, and will probably get a majority of support for a Grady buy. However, from what I have seen, respondents aren't afraid to voice their opinions on other brands or Grady's issues. Also, am not rushing into buying, but know this is a good time as the dealers are trying to get rid of 2023s.

First time boat buyer. Need dual console primarily for medical reasons (and I like the look of them better.) 80% of our time will be just me, my 15y.o., and occasionally my wife cruising and fishing the ICW. The other 20% will be Atlantic offshore fishing, maybe some Gulf of Mexico fishing, and for when the other two kids, and eventually their spouses and kids visit. May be able to stretch budget to 120K, but would really prefer to stay under $100K if possible. Hoping to make the boat buy a lifetime boat. Brother has owned boats for 35-40 years. He is highly suggesting getting a used boat because of the depreciation and cost of new boats. We are a sturdy bunch, and need a boat that can handle upwards of 8-10 people and 2000-2500lbs of people, gear, and fuel. I am not super mechanically inclined, and usually know enough to be really dangerous. Before anyone says anything, I am paying attention to vehicle's towing capacity, and realize I may need to get a new to me vehicle that can tow the weight.

We are going for a test ride on a Freedom 215 this weekend to see if we want to buy a new 2023 (will not be a new build. A sale fell through on it, and the boat is available.) Have also seen a 2018 Pursuit 235 that is listed about $13,000 less than what I was given after the Grady salesperson finagled the numbers for the first time after I offered a low ball price ($100K plus tax and fees.) The price the Grady guy figured was only about $5000-$6000 under what it was listed in the ad for. The Pursuit does not have a trailer, but I have access to someone who can get me a good deal on one. The Grady does not have electronics except for the piece that talks to the engine. Pursuit has almost two years left on Yamaha warranty.

So:
pros and cons of both brands?
if you had a sibling you liked, who would you recommend and why
other higher mid-tier and top tier dual consoles
other items I should look for in both new and used boats.

Thanks in Advance

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Used boats have gremlins taken care of. If they are well cared for they are a good deal. If they show poor maintenance (look for rust spots etc ) walk away right away.
Electronics will cost say close to 10k for a set. All of that said 2018 vs 2023 is a 5yr difference. On the warranty side that is a big deal. Also on electronics some development has happened in that time frame so if the $$ are about the same there is little gain in the old boat, except for size in this case.
Another issue could well be how these two boats behave, the Pursuit likely has a deeper V and is less stable (not less seaworthy) with people moving around and will feel more difficult to handle when loaded. Check the need for frequent use of trimtabs to keep boat comfortable.

Suggestion is to have test rides with more than just a couple of people onboard to get a real feel for how they handle.

Disclaimer: I had a Pursuit ST310 and now a Freedom 335 which both are larger, heavier etc than the 21-23 ft boats. The 335 is much more stable and heavier but both showed good quality so been happy with both of them.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For the price difference as well as the length overall and what you'd get with the Pursuit, I'd go with it over the Grady. There's a used 2018 Pursuit 235 DC on Boat Trader currently for $110k that comes with a trailer, Yamaha F300 that has 286 hours on it as well as a 12" Garmin GPS. You could further add radar and other items if you really wanted to, but the fact that you get a bigger boat with a hardtop, etc for less than a 21' Grady would make me want to go that route. Does the Grady have a hardtop to it? I'd seriously consider it if it doesn't, of which the Pursuit does. It'll keep you out of the sun, rain and other elements quite nicely and I've heard nothing but good things about Pursuit boats, and this is coming from a Grady White owner. The fact that a brand new GW 215 Freedom costs over $125k to me is just absolutely absurd. I'm a big fan of buying used if you can find what you're looking for as yes, like you mentioned the depreciation value of a brand new boat is going to happen after a few years and you could pay $125k for a brand new boat that is worth less than $100k in a couple of years. To me, it's not worth the risk of losing that much money potentially on the boat. I say go with a used Pursuit or maybe even a used Grady? Or... even a third option might be the Grady White 235 Freedom used, which there are a few on Boat Trader currently in that $120k price range?

Last edited:

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
If you are looking for a “Lifetime” boat that needs to handle “Upwards of 8-10 people” then you need to go bigger than a 215. Particularly if this will be used out in the ocean. Both Grady’s and Pursuits are excellent boats and you cannot go wrong with either. I would go no less than 23’ but even that I think is small for your stated usage. I’d look for a low-hour 255 with twins (200’s). If you can find a well cared for, older boat with low hours and get a good survey on it you should have a solid boat for years. If you really plan on putting that many people on the boat you will not be happy in a 21 footer. I‘m not really familiar with the Pursuit models like I am with GW but they are excellent boats.

seasick

Reaction score
Both brands are good boats but lately I feel that Pursuits are finished better. I can't prove it for a fact but Covid seems to have affected the quality of some Grady model years, In any case, you have the cart before the horse, You need a bigger boat for your requirements. Although the capacity rating for a boat may say it has a capacity of 10 persons, that doesn't mean that they will be comfortable or that the boat will perform well especially in less than ideal sea conditions. . Your best bet is to keep doing research and test rides when possible. If you are not an experienced boater you would benefit by getting a friend who is experienced to go with you to look at options.
Also note that since you are not going to be doing maintenance, the accessibility to authorized dealers is important, especially for a new boat. Do not get your heart set on having to buy a boat NOW. Take your time, do your homework, and see as many options as you can

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: glacierbaze

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
In agreement on needing a bigger boat for your intended usage. Remember everyone coming on board is going to have bags, coolers, fishing rods etc. that you will have to find space for. Once you add the people, gear and normal stuff like fenders, life jackets etc. your going to run out of room quickly on a 21 ft boat. Also consider The head situation if you bringing ladies on the boat. Most will want a "decent " place to go. Consider a larger boat with a "real toilet" instead of a porti-potty which you will have to take out, empty and clean. If your just bringing guys out fishing for a day trip this is probably a non-issue.

On my second Grady now, but do find myself looking at pursuit boats more and more for when I eventually upgrade. Nothing against Grady, but for how I use the boat, the newer pursuits seem fit that usage very nicely. Both Grady and Pursuit will have Yamahas so engine service shouldn't be much of a factor. My Yamaha mechanic actually works at a pursuit dealer. For servicing I would rather have an engine mechanic /dealer close by then an actually manufacturer dealer.

seasick

Reaction score
. For servicing I would rather have an engine mechanic /dealer close by then an actually manufacturer dealer.

Yes for engine service and routine maintenance, I agree with you but for a new boat, it may be advisable to have an authorized dealer nearby. Should you need warranty work, a nearby dealer can make things simpler.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
You're gonna need a much bigger boat or cut your passengers dramatically. My 22 foot 228 has the sticker that says you can put 10 people on it. The most I ever got out with is 4, including me. And that's not fishing, if I'm fishing I want 2-3 people total, it's just not big enough to fish more comfortably.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
...80% of our time will be just me, my 15y.o., and occasionally my wife cruising and fishing the ICW. The other 20% will be Atlantic offshore fishing, maybe some Gulf of Mexico fishing, and for when the other two kids, and eventually their spouses and kids visit.
....We are a sturdy bunch, and need a boat that can handle upwards of 8-10 people and 2000-2500lbs of people, gear, and fuel.
The first one can be a 21 to 23 ft. The second thing is an entirely different beast...

Coastboater

Reaction score
I looked closely at a DC235 5 years or so ago. Actually, I was lusting over the boat… Went to see one at our local dealer and the hardtop was too low on the leading and rear edges. I had to duck to get under the hardtop. Had some clearance once under it, but pictured clumps of my forehead stuck to it.
I’m 6’4” and it may seem like a minor detail, but that was a deal killer for me. As to the Pursuit brand, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one that fit my needs.

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Personally I'd consider the two on pretty equal footing and almost remove the brand from your thinking. My general impression is that GW may have a very small ride/performance advantage while Pursuit may have the same for fit and finish, but both are quite subjective.

But the far bigger consideration here, and the thing I'd be spending time on in your shoes, is thinking through your intended use case and figure out exactly what size boat you need, because as others have stated above you've not fishing 8-10 people offshore in a 21'-23' (or a 23'-25', or a 25'-27'...)

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd go to your local GW/Pursuit dealers and step foot on each boat, if you haven't already, to see which you like more in terms of layout as well as which you think will suit your needs or give you the space you think you'll need. As others have mentioned there are a few used GW 255 Freedom's on BT in the $120k range, some are even less than that. As well as even a few Pursuit 265 DC's that are in that $120k price range as well, though I'm not sure how big of a boat you want to get, or if your tow rig will be up to the task at hand.

Reactions: Sdfish

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Agree with Mustang. Step on each boat, open the hatches, see how they are put together, finished or unfinished in hidden areas, do you have access to do maintenance, how do they fit you in terms of your family's needs, can you and your family move around comfortably etc.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Bubba Penguin

Reaction score
This will probably be my last post.

Thanks y'all for all the answers and help. The Pursuit had been sold just a few hours before we got to the dealer. After some consideration, I've decided not to get the Grady. Not because of any physical problems with the boat, but simply the price. The store I was looking at wanted, out the door-tax, tag, everything at $129K, and everything I have read says "when buying a boat, set a budget, and then stick to it." We just bought a 2023 F150 in anticipation of purchasing a boat. This Grady also had zero electronics, and would have to be added by the dealer adding another 5-10K. When I started looking seriously, I realized my $100K budget would be tight for what I wanted, and upped it ten grand with a bit of a cushion. What is funny is that my original choice was going to be a sport & fish dual console from Carolina Skiff that everyone told me I would get beat to Hades if there was any chop. We stopped at the Grady dealer because I wanted to look at Whalers, and ended up looking at Gradys because that is what they had in stock. He had is check out a 275Freedom, and loved it, but I could buy a house in some parts of the country for what they want for that.

Next week we are headed up to a boat dealer to test ride a Key West 239 DC that has the electronics, a 300hp Yamaha, a hardtop, a few other niceties, fits our budget, and is still $25K or more under GW. Unless something is bad on the test ride, this will be what we end up purchasing. We know we will be sacrificing some workmanship/build items, but I have talked to enough boaters to know a mid tier or upper mid tier boat will work for me. The Grady dealer must have really wanted us to reconsider because he tried to get us to take a ride even after we had told him we were going a different route, and wouldn't feel right having him and the staff do even more work than they already had when we had no intention to purchase. We had been really considering it, but the cost plus the additional expenses is just to much to overcome.

Watching a video some dealer guy in Ft Lauderdale/West Palm made showing off one of the boats he has to sell, my wife and I decided If we win the Powerball or Mega Millions a Canyon 456 looks like the way to go.

Thanks again for the help and advice. I appreciate it.

Bubba

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This will probably be my last post.

Thanks y'all for all the answers and help. The Pursuit had been sold just a few hours before we got to the dealer. After some consideration, I've decided not to get the Grady. Not because of any physical problems with the boat, but simply the price. The store I was looking at wanted, out the door-tax, tag, everything at $129K, and everything I have read says "when buying a boat, set a budget, and then stick to it." We just bought a 2023 F150 in anticipation of purchasing a boat. This Grady also had zero electronics, and would have to be added by the dealer adding another 5-10K. When I started looking seriously, I realized my $100K budget would be tight for what I wanted, and upped it ten grand with a bit of a cushion. What is funny is that my original choice was going to be a sport & fish dual console from Carolina Skiff that everyone told me I would get beat to Hades if there was any chop. We stopped at the Grady dealer because I wanted to look at Whalers, and ended up looking at Gradys because that is what they had in stock. He had is check out a 275Freedom, and loved it, but I could buy a house in some parts of the country for what they want for that.

Next week we are headed up to a boat dealer to test ride a Key West 239 DC that has the electronics, a 300hp Yamaha, a hardtop, a few other niceties, fits our budget, and is still $25K or more under GW. Unless something is bad on the test ride, this will be what we end up purchasing. We know we will be sacrificing some workmanship/build items, but I have talked to enough boaters to know a mid tier or upper mid tier boat will work for me. The Grady dealer must have really wanted us to reconsider because he tried to get us to take a ride even after we had told him we were going a different route, and wouldn't feel right having him and the staff do even more work than they already had when we had no intention to purchase. We had been really considering it, but the cost plus the additional expenses is just to much to overcome.

Watching a video some dealer guy in Ft Lauderdale/West Palm made showing off one of the boats he has to sell, my wife and I decided If we win the Powerball or Mega Millions a Canyon 456 looks like the way to go.

Thanks again for the help and advice. I appreciate it.

Bubba
Not sure if you'll even see this or not based off your last comment, but I'd honestly recommend looking at other options like the Pursuit as well, considering the Key West 239 DC only weighs 2,800 lbs dry. On the other hand, the Pursuit 235 DC has a dry weight of almost double that at 5,350 lbs and the Grady White 235 Freedom has a dry weight of 4,420 lbs dry. With the Key West having such a light weight to it, I'm betting it's going to pound quite badly in the chop and is going to make for a very rough ride. Which means that you're not only going to sacrifice the build/quality of the boat, but you're also going to sacrifice the ride quality as well and that's not something I'd do just to save some money. I had a 21' Arima before this and it had a dry weight of 2,500 lbs, of which it would pound very badly in the 1'-2' or greater chop, and to where I imagine the Key West is going to do the exact same thing. Maybe even a bit worse since there is going to be no weight in the bow, with it being a DC style of boat. I'd definitely make sure you take it for a test drive/sea trial run first, and make sure you do it on a day with less than favorable conditions. I do very much agree with you though that I couldn't imagine spending an additional $25k+ on a smaller model of Grady just because. I'd honestly look at a used Pursuit 235 DC and I think you'll be much happier than with the Key West boat. Just my opinion of course, either way good luck with your search!

Last edited: