New Grady Owner - Marlin 300 Scuppers

Scott D

Reaction score
Well after owning my previous boat for 14 seasons, I finally moved on and up to a 2004 Grady Marlin 300. Found a boat with 2013 Suzuki 300's. I've had a great experience with this engine on the prior boat so hopefully these perform as well.
I usually do all my own work on the boat but the seller was willing do do some updates and I wanted a few things done that I thought could be accomplished quicker by someone else. I sent the boat to Wollard and Nelson and they did a bunch of updates. Repaired headliner cracks, fixed some gelcoat stuff, new rubrail and 2016 Grady graphics. They are great to work with and know these boats well.

Anyway my question is about the scuppers. They are plastic and one is missing the bar that keeps debris out. Does anyone know if someone makes replacements out of SS? These make me nervous since they are plastic and 12 years old. I'm assuming they are tough to change with the available access.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to upgrading and working on this boat.

Scott

artodea

Reaction score
Congrats on the new boat - nobody will ever complain if you included a picture!

Stainless cockpit drains are on my list (and mine are now 20 years old) but from what I could find it may take some trial and error to find a replacement. There really is nothing wrong with Marlon and you can go to your Grady dealer and get a perfectly fitting plastic replacement. That being said, I have found this previous post that could point you in the right direction:

http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=48863

Scott D

Reaction score
Art thanks I searched and couldn't find much. To be clear I'm more interested in the deck drains but maybe I should replace the whole system. I'll check it out.

As far as pics the boat is still in NC and I'm in nj but I'll post a few.

Thanks very much. I have a lot to do on this boat to get it where I want (I'm pretty picky) so I'll be posting more.

seasick

Reaction score
Scott D said:
Well after owning my previous boat for 14 seasons, I finally moved on and up to a 2004 Grady Marlin 300. Found a boat with 2013 Suzuki 300's. I've had a great experience with this engine on the prior boat so hopefully these perform as well.
I usually do all my own work on the boat but the seller was willing do do some updates and I wanted a few things done that I thought could be accomplished quicker by someone else. I sent the boat to Wollard and Nelson and they did a bunch of updates. Repaired headliner cracks, fixed some gelcoat stuff, new rubrail and 2016 Grady graphics. They are great to work with and know these boats well.

Anyway my question is about the scuppers. They are plastic and one is missing the bar that keeps debris out. Does anyone know if someone makes replacements out of SS? These make me nervous since they are plastic and 12 years old. I'm assuming they are tough to change with the available access.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to upgrading and working on this boat.

Scott
Do those scuppers have flaps?
If so, missing the bar is no biggie. I find that most crap enters through the deck and not from the outside in.
If your scuppers are normally above the water, SS is OK but if not, SS can corrode when continuously wet. Since these things are rarely under a lot of stress, I have no concerns about plastic. They help with barnacles too.
let us know how you make out

Scott D

Reaction score
Actually I'd like to replace the cockpit drains with ss if possible. For aesthetics mostly. I'll check the actual scuppers and replace them if necessary. They are above the waterline. I'll report back.