New Grady quality

GH236

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
2021 Fisherman 236 and no quality Issues. Top notch all the way.

Reactions: Rex A

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I would put that Contender above the Grady on quality but that's just me. They do a great job with their customers during the build process as well.

My nephew does warranty work for Grady. He hasn't noticed any increase in claims or new issues.

I think the issues will pop up in a couple years. The resin issues and suppliers changing could be an issue for all builders.

Reactions: ilmmct

JVT

Reaction score
I have a new Marlin 300, and my prior boat was an older G-W 25' Sailfish. The differences in quality from my older Grady to the new one are significant - much improved with the Marlin. I am very happy with the new boat. That said, there are a few small things that I think Grady needs to correct as a high-end builder.

There are a couple of hatches that do not have gaskets, and should in my opinion. The anchor rode locker is not finished in gel coat, and has some shards of fiberglass near the opening that can slice a hand (one of the under-berth storage also has this). The cabinets in the galley area do not securely latch, nor does one of the double latches on the sliding cabin hatch.

All of these have been submitted for warranty claims and I expect Grady to correct them all (except for finishing the anchor rode locker). Again...overall I am very happy with the boat.

Reactions: Teaserhead

seasick

Reaction score
Just had a question in regards to newer Grady quality control. I have a 236 fisherman due to be delivered in September and we all have seen and heard a few horror stories as of late about all new boats in general but in this particular case, Grady White. I had a Grady years ago, loved it and have had Two contenders since. No real issues with any of them. Love my Contenders but went back to a grady due to more of a "family friendly boat" and of course the build quality. But... In this post covid, supply chain, hiring good help is an issue era, I was just curious if anyone had any first hand experience with a new to 1 year old grady of any model as far as current overall quality. Thanks
Isn't it a little late to ask about quality?:)

In the fall you can answer the question for all of us.

Good luck with the boat!

treedogg

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I have a 2021 257 and have had plenty of issues. Grady had stood behind their product 110%. If it wasn’t for their service I would not be on this forum. Do not be afraid to contact Grady with any issues.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I couldn't personally tell you about the Quality Control on a brand new Grady White and this is likely a bit of an apples to oranges comparison but the quality, fit and finish on my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer is quite nice. My previous boat was a 21' Arima of which there was/is no comparison between the two boats and I remember looking at my boat the first time before purchasing it thinking "wow, this looks great and much better than the Arima did." Not exactly sure how their QC compares now as opposed to back then but I'd have to imagine that it's still quite high, as well as their customer service, if they're still in business after all of these years. Also, last summer my neighbor purchased a brand new 235 Freedom and he has been very impressed with that boat, almost to the point where he doesn't hardly ever use it because he's afraid to get it dirty or scratch it.

rockpool

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
2022 Fisherman 257 - pretty good so far. One sticker peeling off, otherwise, the boat is solid.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Our Delmarva Grady White Club did a factory tour past May, and we split into several groups and walked the entire facility. They encouraged us to stop and talk with any worker even while doing their job, and ask them any questions we might have. This was the 5th factory tour that my wife and I did, over the last 33 years.

I usually ask several employees how long they have worked for GW, and would they do it again. So many have been there 12, 20, 24 years, and they smile and say best job ever. They are team workers. Grady tells us take all the pictures we want. No areas off-limits. How many boat manuf's allow pictures, if they even allow you on the production floor?

Grady pays bonus money to employees, for ideas that can be used to address production problems or improve Grady quality. They also pay employees who will take home and read books from the Grady library, motivational /self-improvement type of books. $45 to $95 for every book they read. There are no tests; it is the honor system. It must be working; they've been doing this for many many years. There's so much more they do for their employees; it is unbelievable. What other boat builders do these kinds of things?

I wouldn't be too concerned about QC, and if you can make the trip the Greenville NC, you should go see your boat as it's being built, tour the factory and come away with answers to your questions.

treedogg

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Not good news but I guess the customer service helps. What kinds of issues have you had?
Aft fish box and live well were not caulked. Bilge access hole was cut too large. Several gel coat issues. Console door did not fit tight. Missing bolts on the motor covers.

treedogg

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Aft fish box and live well were not caulked. Bilge access hole was cut too large. Several gel coat issues. Console door did not fit tight. Missing bolts on the motor covers.

Hiflyr

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Happy over all with my new 257 nothing really wrong with ours I am a antique car guy and real picky. The only thing I noticed was over spray or the material did not flow out smooth on parts of theTtop. They said they would fix it but I have decided it’s so unnoticeable except to me I am not going through that.EDBC4072-1D59-495B-9EE7-FE6A34095EDE.jpegEDBC4072-1D59-495B-9EE7-FE6A34095EDE.jpegEDBC4072-1D59-495B-9EE7-FE6A34095EDE.jpegEDBC4072-1D59-495B-9EE7-FE6A34095EDE.jpeg

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
We Took delivery of 2022 Freedom 255 in July. So far to only serious issue was related to the port engine (twin 200’s). It quit about a quarter mile from the marina. It was a loose ground on the engine. Not sure GW can take responsibility for that. There are however some minor issues that trouble us. The vinyl on the bow bolster is very wrinkled (GW sent a replacement and it had the identical problem. The gasket on the head door was put on very crooked (the dealer replaced it). I ordered the Helm Master Ex, full maneuverability package ( another post on that later) and GW did not line up all the switches evenly across the helm. The snaps on the forward canvas above the windshield would all come unsnapped at about 20 knots. Again, the dealer sent a tech to replace them all with heavier duty snaps. These seem to be holding underway.
We took delivery even though the boat is still lacking various parts, e.g., shore power outlet, piston for power lounge on companion seat, solution for wrinkled forward bolsters, etc, but the boat is fully functioning and we get to enjoy it.
Our previous boat (and first boat ever) was a 2018 Freedom 235. This boat was near perfect! We were so satisfied with the 235, we didn’t look beyond GW for the new boat. I hope time will confirm our decision was the right one.
I hope your new 236 Fisherman will be flawless.

Reactions: Rex A

Fishtales

Reaction score
Prob no worse than other higher end production boats out there. Most are making as many as they can for this market. GW stands behind the boats well, so if you have an issue you will get service.

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Prob no worse than other higher end production boats out there. Most are making as many as they can for this market. GW stands behind the boats well, so if you have an issue you will get service.
Agreed. Grady White and our dealer have been excellent to work with.

JMAT

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
I took delivery of a 325 Freedom back in February. The boat has been great. There have been several minor issues that have been or are being taken care of. I think it comes down to the dealer. I believe I have a great dealer in SW Florida. They sell several lines of boats but they have a guy there, Fred, who only takes care of Grady customers after the sale. He is phenomenal. Always answers calls and texts, even on Sundays. The reason I bring this up is all boats, new and old, are going to have some issues. It’s nice to know someone is there to help you with those issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: igblack87

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I have a 2021 Fisherman 236. I've had several issues, all of which were fixed.

By far the biggest issue i had was an improperly rigged fuel line that broke off from the motor. This caused me to get stranded out on the bay. I didn't realize the fuel line was broken until i looked back and fuel was being sprayed on my stbd swim platform. Before my Grady, i had a classic 18' Boston Whaler Outrage. I had two different Etech 150HP motors on that boat over the 8 years i had it, never once got stranded, yet i got stranded after only a month having my 150k Grady. Yeah i was not happy.

I've had a few other small issues, mostly gel coat and gaskets not seating, which were all fixed. I have the upgraded leaning post with livewell and i still have some water escape the livewell. Grady replaced the gasket on that once already, but appearantly it's still not sealing. Sometimes i wonder why the back of my leg is wet. It's not big enough of an issue for me to take it in.

After some intitial issues, the boat has gotten into a groove. I was out off the TX coast this past weekend going 18-20kts thru 2-3ft at 4 seconds. The waves got up to 3-5ft at 5 seconds as we were navigating around some storms, but never once did I feel scared. That boat can take more than I can and willingly fight to live another day. The amount of bow flare really helped me doing downsea in 3-5ft at 5 sec, never once did I stuff the bow. In all, i love my Grady.