New model Freedom 415

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have a feeling that this boat will appeal to people who will use it as their small day-boat. Real F-U money.
I'd say FI money... FU money isn't enough to have that sled in your barn....

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Also, how many people are looking for a 40' walkaround boat?
There was a discussion in THT about the new Albemarle 45 FA Express and there are other boat builders using a WA design.
Main critique about the Albemarle was the choice of outboards what I would not like to have, others about the FA design instead of a traditional closed bow as most sport fish have.
If I want to fork out the price for a 40+ WA I would buy one, same as I would prefer a 300 Marlin over a 330 Express,
but thats me.
Chris

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
There was a discussion in THT about the new Albemarle 45 FA Express and there are other boat builders using a WA design.
Main critique about the Albemarle was the choice of outboards what I would not like to have, others about the FA design instead of a traditional closed bow as most sport fish have.
If I want to fork out the price for a 40+ WA I would buy one, same as I would prefer a 300 Marlin over a 330 Express,
but thats me.
Chris
Just not sure what niche a 40+ft, $2M bowrider, day boat fills. Cool boat for sure and I'd love to take a ride on one....but who are they targeting with this model?

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
but thats me.
Chris
I mean that doesn't really answer the question all that well or even come close to answering it. You said you'd fork out the price for a 40'+ walkaround if you wanted one, which it sounds as though you don't. So again, who is going to buy something like this? Probably not that many people...

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Look at the videos and pics on their website, and you will see the target audience. Families, and couples, dressed like they are going for lunch at the country club. A spinning rod here and there, but no hard core fishing.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I mean that doesn't really answer the question all that well or even come close to answering it. You said you'd fork out the price for a 40'+ walkaround if you wanted one, which it sounds as though you don't. So again, who is going to buy something like this? Probably not that many people...
No I don't want a Freedom model, nor any other DC/Bowrider style boat as it does not fit my needs, but it seems that a lot of boaters like the DC setup. Having good access to the bow area and high gunnels to limit risk that someone fall over board is a argument, for families and in my case for charter work and it makes docking alone the boat alone safer and less complicated. Such a big DC as the Freedom 415 makes that even better as no walking around is involved (as long the dock is on the side and not as in Europe where docking is usually on the stern and a trip line is needed to pull the submerged docking lines to the bow).
And I guess that this is the reason for the raise of bowrider design what is now called dual console and I can see the reason why to go for this style and why it become more popular again.
The Albemarle 45SF is an Express WA and thus different to the Freedom 415 DC but the discussion about it was somehow similar.
  • Choice of motorization
  • design
  • target audience
Chris

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I'm not sure there is a target customer for this. Seems like a bigger is better kind of deal. Why not make a 41' DC? I'm sure bigger ones will be available in the next few years. If they don't already, I'm sure Grady's competitors will soon have a 42' DC....then Grady will make a 43' and so on.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Was Albie the one which had a walk around on the port side, and full width on starboard? Sort of like my old 22 Glacier Bay, or a mullet haircut.
On the design study it looks at it's a walk around on both sides, but difficult to tell.
https://www.albemarleboats.com/30-express-copy
Interestingly the url show that's a copy of the 30 Express, but she's not a WA/FA

Chris

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
A walk around on only one side is a good idea too as it will increase cabin space but will make it difficult to pull the trip line to the bow buoy on the other side. And thats the same problem for me on a DC, but probably not a issue in US or if slip has a dock on one side.
But back to the GW 415 Freedom, the biggest issue for me is the for a 41f boat small and wired cabin, but for the sandbar and sunset cruise folks - what I guess is the target - a acceptable and useful solution.
Chris

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
it always amazes me when people say "they dont even have a rod on the boat, why are they going out?" there is certainly more to boating than fishing. you can go anchor in a cove or sand bar, go snorkeling or diving, spear fishing, coastal exploring, cruising, hitting up waterfront restruants, or just enjoying riding on a boat. the 415 can be used for any of these. and just because you have a certain type of boat, doesnt mean you need to use it for a certain activity.

dual consoles are my least favorite lay out, but if someone gave me the 415 freedom and paid for all my expenses, id rock it with a grin from ear to ear.

there is 100% a target for this. its miami style boating. people with big money that want to do most of what i listed above.

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
it always amazes me when people say "they dont even have a rod on the boat, why are they going out?" there is certainly more to boating than fishing. you can go anchor in a cove or sand bar, go snorkeling or diving, spear fishing, coastal exploring, cruising, hitting up waterfront restruants, or just enjoying riding on a boat. the 415 can be used for any of these. and just because you have a certain type of boat, doesnt mean you need to use it for a certain activity.

dual consoles are my least favorite lay out, but if someone gave me the 415 freedom and paid for all my expenses, id rock it with a grin from ear to ear.

there is 100% a target for this. its miami style boating. people with big money that want to do most of what i listed above.
Indeed. I am not a fisherman. I find it amusing how some have difficulty fathoming that someone can own a boat and not fish. My boating preference is as you describe above...sand bars, exploring, waterfront restaurants and bars, sunset cruising, raftups with friends. I also find it amusing that many believe that a boat has to look a certain way to be able to fish from. Why can't you fish from a DC? Guys used to catch 1000lb Marlin from tiny skiffs back in the day. You can fish from any boat.

I agree that this 415 is targeted at the Miami day boating scene. Probably for guys who also own massive yachts who just want to take some friends out without having to hire a Captain and crew.

Reactions: B-Shell

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I see a lot of big CC and DC boats in NJ and most of those are not going out to the canyons. Venture to guess that many never go much farther than a couple of miles out - or never leave Barnegat Bay. Saw a husband and wife pull up to my favorite lunch place in Barnegat in a big Grady CC, not a rod in sight. Pursuit makes some pretty big DC boats. Of course something like a Formula as well, def not designed to fish. The really big ones have good cabins for overnighting.

Buddy of mine has a 26-ft Pursuit DC. Fishes it inshore and pleasure rides in the bay. Nice boat. Had a Grady CC before the Pursuit.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I wonder how they will hold their value. The target audience is the Nantucket boater - pressed pleated shorts, Vineyard Vines polo, dockers and named Miles...
They want new shiny toys not someone else's trade-in.....

Liberty

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
They finally released this model. At least 4 years from when someone first posted a picture on this site.
I was at the factory on Monday and saw a 415 in the building process unfortunately I didn't take a picture but was told it lists for 1.7M.

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I was at the factory on Monday and saw a 415 in the building process unfortunately I didn't take a picture but was told it lists for 1.7M.
1.7 without electronics. Probably closer to 2 loaded up.

fastexas

Reaction score