New motor or say goodbye

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hello Everyone
Here's my question I have a 2000 tournament 192 with a 150 Merc on it. Motor running good have a little banging when it idles. It just loud and it smokes a little, I would like to put a new motor on it everyone's telling me I'm crazy just get a new used boat. I priced Yamahas about 14 15 grand. My thoughts are I have a new motor on a boat that I love , if I buy something else I'm buying another used boat with a used motor any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
George

Reactions: Fuzz and mmiela

PHG192

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
I have the same boat, put the new engine on it and enjoy!

Reactions: Fuzz

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I just repowered with two 250's - I'll swap you invoices :cool: . Seriously, I agree with above - if you plan to love your boat for another 10 years, go for it!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good decision! You may be in for a wait though. I'm repowering my 228 and been waiting on a new F250 since last September. I may see it by December of this year they say. I know my boat from top to bottom and I've pretty much redone it completely. It suits my needs well, so to me it's worth a repower.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I also have the same boat (2001) and was thinking what I'd do if the motor starts to give me any issues at any point (I also have the 150 Yamaha, it's a 2 stroke DFI). My current motor runs like a top and only has about 350 hours so I'm hoping to run it for quite a while longer. But as things stand now I'd definitely lean toward keeping the boat and replacing the motor.

UCPA111

Reaction score
If you're looking for payback justification....dollars...then you know the answer.
I repowered my 1984 Seafarer with a new Verado 300 with power steering and all the bells and whistles.

Was it worth it? YEP! Lots of smiles and good times on a boat I enjoy!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
New motor and controls = New Boat ! I loved my 192 with that F150 on it. That boat hummed with that motor I tell you. Repower , you won't regret it!

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Good decision! You may be in for a wait though. I'm repowering my 228 and been waiting on a new F250 since last September. I may see it by December of this year they say. I know my boat from top to bottom and I've pretty much redone it completely. It suits my needs well, so to me it's worth a repower.

Thanks yes there is a wait but i don;t mind
New motor and controls = New Boat ! I loved my 192 with that F150 on it. That boat hummed with that motor I tell you. Repower , you won't regret it!
Thanks good to hear someone else is all about the 192

seasick

Reaction score
I also have the same boat (2001) and was thinking what I'd do if the motor starts to give me any issues at any point (I also have the 150 Yamaha, it's a 2 stroke DFI). My current motor runs like a top and only has about 350 hours so I'm hoping to run it for quite a while longer. But as things stand now I'd definitely lean toward keeping the boat and replacing the motor.
How do you know how many hours the motor has on it?

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
I was going to ask the same question. I just found a new Yamaha F150 and put a deposit on it. Boat stuff is getting so scarce that I jumped on it and now I'm hoping that I made the right choice. My boat is an 87 Overnighter.

FYI - motor is $14k but with new controls gauges and labor it will cost me a little over $19k.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
$5,000 for controls and rigging is way too high for an F150.

People thinking about re-powering should look into Tohatsu. Their prices include controls and rigging. All of their engines from 150 hp on up are rebadged Hondas. They are more available than most of the other brands and nobody can touch their prices. They seem to be aggressively going after Suzuki for leadership in the repower market.

luvsno

Reaction score
Well I’ll tell you in Canada the COVID prices make me want to sell my it but I can’t replace it. Easily double my money for my 1999 with a rebuilt 150 Yamaha Saltwater engine. We love it just don’t use it enough. But when we do it’s great. I vote new engine.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I was going to ask the same question. I just found a new Yamaha F150 and put a deposit on it. Boat stuff is getting so scarce that I jumped on it and now I'm hoping that I made the right choice. My boat is an 87 Overnighter.

FYI - motor is $14k but with new controls gauges and labor it will cost me a little over $19k.
If you get the use, you made a great choice!

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
$5,000 for controls and rigging is way too high for an F150.

People thinking about re-powering should look into Tohatsu. Their prices include controls and rigging. All of their engines from 150 hp on up are rebadged Hondas. They are more available than most of the other brands and nobody can touch their prices. They seem to be aggressively going after Suzuki for leadership in the repower market.
Thanks. That's good info. The $5k in addition to the motor also includes labor.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
If you want a bigger boat or a different style that’s fine but to sell yours for another used of the same ?
When someone sells a boat they sell it for a reason and a lot of people hold back on their reasons when your interested.
Is your boat solid in the stringers and transom?
One day the tank will need replacing but then it’s good for a lot of years after. If you repower it with a new engine it’s just that, a new engine. ;)
If you like your boat I’d say repower it, but go bigger like the 200F 4 cylinder Yamaha. Loads more fun ;)

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter

I have an ‘87 Overnighter too, only mine has a Suzuki DT225.
If the engine ever dies I’ll mount the F200 4cylinder on it.
I think you’ll do fine with the 150 though. Their great outboards.