New Owner Sailfish 274 Bow Pulpit Smaller Slip fee Mod

Fishtales

Reaction score
I wouldn't have done it but it looks pretty decent. Your going to have to hit the boat show and internet and determine your options for the roller. I'm sure you will find something if you look hard enough.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Am I thinking of this incorrectly? If you put an anchor roller on there that is long enough to allow the shank to not hit the windlass, aren't you right back to the original dilemma of the boat's overall length being too long?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Concur with above comments re short deck in front of windlass.

Additionally, the windlass will be almost useless that far firward, as there isn't sufficient "fall" into the locker for the rode to fall down into the locker. You should have moved it aft. Search for my posts with photos.

Also, fugly, IMHO.

Kovito

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I got lucky the vertical supports for rails on old pulpit happend to fit perfectly so I just bought the center angle joint. Some elbow grease to slightly bend them into joint.

I have since mounted the anchor in a bracket to the right side of gunnel. Also secured to handrai. Now roller will fit i will install this week however you r correct i will manually have to move anchor from bracket holder to roller when I need to use.

saving almost 250$ a month i guess I'm ok with that. I'll upload finished pic soo n.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That looks pretty darn good from a removal perspective. As stated, you'll need to come up with a roller system. You achieved your objective though and for a reasonable cost/effort. Nice job...

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Your nav lights are backwards. And if you did it on purpose, the stanchions are blocking the intended "cross visibility". Illegal setup.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Your nav lights are backwards. And if you did it on purpose, the stanchions are blocking the intended "cross visibility". Illegal setup.
Good catch - it certainly does look like the red and green are mounted on the wrong sides... and of course facing the wrong way. But I don't see anything that is blocking (once they're flipped side for side) their visibility? The stanchions directly forward of them don't impede anything since the visibility should only be directly straight ahead to 112* aft. In other words, BOTH red and green should only be visible by another boat is both boats are exactly head-on - otherwise, only one light should be visible. But still a great eye for seeing that!

(I assume we're talking about the pic from post #17?)

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Good catch - it certainly does look like the red and green are mounted on the wrong sides... and of course facing the wrong way. But I don't see anything that is blocking (once they're flipped side for side) their visibility? The stanchions directly forward of them don't impede anything since the visibility should only be directly straight ahead to 112* aft. In other words, BOTH red and green should only be visible by another boat is both boats are exactly head-on - otherwise, only one light should be visible. But still a great eye for seeing that!

I agree nothing blocking them once they are reinstalled correctly. My comment was if they were intentionally done bass-ackwards then the light would be significantly blocked by the stanchion just forward of each one.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

WOW! I sure didn't catch that till it was pointed out. Man, that ocnsir has a sharp eye. I wouldn't want to try to sneak a beer out of his cooler.:)

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
WOW! I sure didn't catch that till it was pointed out. Man, that ocnsir has a sharp eye. I wouldn't want to try to sneak a beer out of his cooler.:)

Almost 72 years old. Been around power and sail boats since age 12. USN for 28 years, ship driver, licensed 1600-ton Master, Unlimited Chief Mate, USN Offshore Sailing Skipper. Lots of experience and some things just jump out.

Thanks for the compliment. If you're ever in FMB area I'll provide the beer. Dedicated fridge on the lanai.

P.S. Just noticed you're in SWFL. Nearby? SWMBO and I could really use a fishing fix.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ha ha ha....Yeah, we are not that far apart. I live in Venice. My son lives in Fort Myers Beach. Odd thing too, we bought our boat from FishTales Marina on the island there.

Kovito

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

good eye but those are factory lights and what you think is colored glass is actually black block out plastic. The colored glass is pointing outwards on both. Although I can see how it looks that way from pic.

GWL139

Reaction score
Website
www.jerseycapeyachtsales.com
Model
Gulfstream
Most marinas charge for the registered length of the vessel or the slip size itself, not the true stem-to-stern measurement. My 232G with the bracket is easily 27' long, but I paid for a 23' boat when it was rack stored, and just the slip rate for the dock I want to be on at the present marina. I can't believe you'd be willing to hack your boat up because of the pulpit.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Most marinas charge for the registered length of the vessel or the slip size itself, not the true stem-to-stern measurement. My 232G with the bracket is easily 27' long, but I paid for a 23' boat when it was rack stored, and just the slip rate for the dock I want to be on at the present marina. I can't believe you'd be willing to hack your boat up because of the pulpit.
If you read his post, he can save $200/month by doing this. Plus, there's no real "hacking" going on - it can all be reversed. But, for him, as he mentioned, it's worth it - and in the end, that's all that really matters. Hence the saying "to each his own".

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Speaking of reversing, now that OP is in the slip, gonna put the pulpit back on?