New owner

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What's up fellas! Well I finally got to purchase a boat I've wanted for a long time... I found this gem in jersey and I'm picking her up this sat. She's an 1989 226 seafarer with a 2013 honda 225 4stroke. She's in unbelievably clean shape the previous owner was insanely OCD! I heard that older grady's have transom rot issues which the previous owner took care.. he hollowed out the transom and filled it with sea-craft. He also told me he built a coffin around the tank and reinforced it with fiberglass so it is completely isolated from the boat so there is no chance of water getting in there to rot out the tank. Is there anything else on this boat I see be aware of? How's the construction of the hull on these older grady's? Anyway I look forward to chatting with you guys and I will post up some pictures when I pick her up

Reactions: mkslug

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
Congratulations! Welcome to the club!
I'm a new owner too. Just picked up a 2008 305 Express.
Where do we pick up our membership cards??? :D

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
UPDATE: Membership cards available directly through Grady-White. A standard credit card sized membership card can be had for $500 (plus $99 for shipping) :D

Just kidding.

Pighunter

Reaction score
What's up fellas! Well I finally got to purchase a boat I've wanted for a long time... I found this gem in jersey and I'm picking her up this sat. She's an 1989 226 seafarer with a 2013 honda 225 4stroke. She's in unbelievably clean shape the previous owner was insanely OCD! I heard that older grady's have transom rot issues which the previous owner took care.. he hollowed out the transom and filled it with sea-craft. He also told me he built a coffin around the tank and reinforced it with fiberglass so it is completely isolated from the boat so there is no chance of water getting in there to rot out the tank. Is there anything else on this boat I see be aware of? How's the construction of the hull on these older grady's? Anyway I look forward to chatting with you guys and I will post up some pictures when I pick her up
Get a survey!

Reactions: PDX-Boats

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Get a survey!
Too late 4 that.,I already purchased it, it was sooo clean bought from original owner... Then he bought the honda brand new in 2013 just because he wanted to repower. I just wanted to know how she'll handle in the water... Wonder how the build quality in that year was. And just any other general things too look for ... Any other 226 owners out there please chime in would love to hear from ya

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The build quality on all of the pre-SV2 Seafarers was fine. Except for the transom problem, of course. You should also check the stringers on any hull that old.

That BF225 Honda could be a bit heavy for that hull. They come in at over 600 lb. They are great engines except for persistent oxygen sensor problems when used on saltwater. Honda charges a lot for the replacement, but you can get NGK and Walker sensors for a lot less. The engine will still run with a bad sensor. When they go, you just get less power and a lot worse full efficiency as the system goes back to an open loop fueling profile. You should have the sensor tested.

Reactions: Pighunter

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The build quality on all of the pre-SV2 Seafarers was fine. Except for the transom problem, of course. You should also check the stringers on any hull that old.

That BF225 Honda could be a bit heavy for that hull. They come in at over 600 lb. They are great engines except for persistent oxygen sensor problems when used on saltwater. Honda charges a lot for the replacement, but you can get NGK and Walker sensors for a lot less. The engine will still run with a bad sensor. When they go, you just get less power and a lot worse full efficiency as the system goes back to an open loop fueling profile. You should have the sensor tested.
Funny you say that about the sensor issues... He actually had honda fix that issue....as per previous owner she's 100% ready to go! I can't wait to gain more knowledge from all you guys

MooseheadDoc

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Congratulations. Very cool!
Did you get to sea trial her? If so, what kind of performance did you get (RPM and speed at WOT?).
You may have already checked this out, but here is a link to the original brochure and specs.

I guess my only thoughts would be about the "coffin around the tank". There are some excellent threads on this board about gas tank experiences. (here's one, for example....)

Does "no water can get in" can also mean "no water can get out". Condensation can be an issue, but would depend on a lot of factors. Not sure what "coffin" means, and whether or not that limits your ability to inspect via access or deck hatch.

Enjoy the boat and welcome to the forum! This is the most constructive boating forum online. Every other boat forum I visit (especially "The Hull Truth") deteriorates to chest-pounding and insult-throwing within 5 posts.

JB

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Congratulations. Very cool!
Did you get to sea trial her? If so, what kind of performance did you get (RPM and speed at WOT?).
You may have already checked this out, but here is a link to the original brochure and specs.

I guess my only thoughts would be about the "coffin around the tank". There are some excellent threads on this board about gas tank experiences. (here's one, for example....)

Does "no water can get in" can also mean "no water can get out". Condensation can be an issue, but would depend on a lot of factors. Not sure what "coffin" means, and whether or not that limits your ability to inspect via access or deck hatch.

Enjoy the boat and welcome to the forum! This is the most constructive boating forum online. Every other boat forum I visit (especially "The Hull Truth") deteriorates to chest-pounding and insult-throwing within 5 posts.

JB
That's the word he used when explaining It to me.... Like I said this guy is very OCD he took care of evey issue and even did some preventative maintainance as well.. he told me that when he did the transom he went ahead and totally enclosed the tank (coffin) and made sure no water can get to it. I did sea trial it but I was so memorize by that Damm honda that I didn't pay attention to anything...but it did impress me to the fullest.... And yes I've been on the other sites and it does get a bit brutal lol

DogBone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
FuelTank.jpgMaybe this is what the PO is referring to, when he says a fiberglass coffin around the tank. On the advice of an old boat yard guy, I encased my tank in West System epoxy and fiberglass.

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
View attachment 17023Maybe this is what the PO is referring to, when he says a fiberglass coffin around the tank. On the advice of an old boat yard guy, I encased my tank in West System epoxy and fiberglass.
Bingo was his name-o....that's exactly what he did...so I should be go with tank rot issues.....btw t-minus 2days before I get her!.....sorry if I sound like a broken record guys I'm just super excited

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Congrats on the 226 purchase, I enjoy my old girl very much (87 226) and pretty much restored everything but the old Johnson 140's that somehow just keep performing well. I can burn 60 gallons in a day trolling and running, but so far that's cheaper than replacing the outboards. :cool:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Congratulations Slim!

Hope you get many years of enjoyment out of her!

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks fellas I really appreciate the love from this forum eight outta the gate! Super cool!.. off topic but does any1 know where I can get an honda 225 cowel cover? Preferably oem one that says honda on it

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks fellas I really appreciate the love from this forum eight outta the gate! Super cool!.. off topic but does any1 know where I can get an honda 225 cowel cover? Preferably oem one that says honda on it

You could try checking with your local Honda outboard dealer or any marine mechanics but be prepared to pay a lot for a new cowling.

If your existing cover is structurally sound, a cheaper option would be to buy a vented cowling cover that you can leave on 24/7. They’re made of UV-resistant fabric and you can even order custom designs/colors.

Some manufacturers can do OEM logos.

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You could try checking with your local Honda outboard dealer or any marine mechanics but be prepared to pay a lot for a new cowling.

If your existing cover is structurally sound, a cheaper option would be to buy a vented cowling cover that you can leave on 24/7. They’re made of UV-resistant fabric and you can even order custom designs/colors.

Some manufacturers can do OEM logos.

No no holokai, I mean a cowel cover so I can protect it from the sun and elements and shit... I'll be trailering it back and forth and she'll be safe in my driveway... Like I mentioned b4 this motor looks like it was put on yesterday not a blemish and I wanna keep it that way.... So I'm looking for a hood cover preferable one that says honda on it it'll be a plus if it had 225 on it too

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
No no holokai, I mean a cowel cover so I can protect it from the sun and elements and shit... I'll be trailering it back and forth and she'll be safe in my driveway... Like I mentioned b4 this motor looks like it was put on yesterday not a blemish and I wanna keep it that way.... So I'm looking for a hood cover preferable one that says honda on it it'll be a plus if it had 225 on it too

A full cover from Oceansouth will give you the most protection but you can’t get the OEM logo.

If you absolutely must have the OEM logo you can get an OEM Honda cover but it only covers the cowling and not the leg. The cowling will look great and the leg will eventually fade and not match.

Honda 08361-34068AH Eng Covr Bf200/Bf225 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AJTPU3Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_DffPFbH2SJ3WF

Google is your friend for finding things like this. Ebay usually has cheaper prices once you find the correct part number.