New Radio Needed - Any recommendations?

IBeGrady'd

Reaction score
About 2 seasons ago the mic cord sleeve started to deteriorate and I've been making do so far with electric tape repairs of now-exposed areas. Probably time for a new installation this season...replacement of the mic and cord not looking too plausible.

I'm not experienced in electrics/electronics. Any replacement recommendations/advice appreciated and is the installation of a new radio pretty much idiot-proof?

Thanks (and Happy 4th)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, pretty straight forward. If it's not hooked up to anything else (GPS?) then it's just the red and black wires. Hooking it up to a GPS uses the green wire - which is a good thing -- for DSC. Basically, just take a few pictures for reference as you remove it - but really, it's quite easy and you don't even really need pictures. Just reconnect the wires to the same color. As far as brand... opinions will vary on that. I would just recommend to stick with a readily available, good brand such as Standard Horizon, Icom or RayMarine. But that's not to say they're the only choice. You may make your decision more dependent on the other electronics you have and/or what features you want in a new VHF. FWIW, what works for me, or for others, doesn't necessarily mean it's best for you.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Actually some of the newer radios have a built in GPS so you dont have to wire them into your existing unit and still have the safety of DSC. Kinda pricey but as the other poster says it really depends on what you want/need. Agree with Standard Horizon as a good choice.

mboyatt

Reaction score
Very easy swap out, as others have indicated. Power and ground, then your antenna connection. Since you have an old VHF, all of your wires should be there ready to go. I went with an icom VHF that has the built in gps. Very pleased with it. Got it on amazon. Good luck.

IBeGrady'd

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the food for thought. Looking around now for the best bang for the buck. 10-4! :hmm

Meanwhile

Reaction score
mboyatt, I'm interested in the Icom with GPS internal. Is it mounted on the dash or in the electronics box? I'm just curious if it would have issues with getting a signal in the electronics box.

mboyatt

Reaction score
NoBail, I have it mounted inside the electronics box with my Lowrance gps/depth finder combo. No issues at all acquiring a signal. I have a Grady 192 Tournament, so the electronics box is right above the steering wheel and gauges. Been using it for about 6 months and no problems at all. :D

zimm

Reaction score
Where do you boat? Do you have a GPS plotter to get a signal from? DSC is a great safety feature. You register for free on boatus to get an MMI number. Punch that into radio. In distress, anyone on the boat can push the button the radio and it sends out a distress signal with your GPS location and MMI number at which the Coast Guard or other agency can lookup and see who owns the boat, your address, phone number of emergency contact, etc. Very nice feature.

If you boat anywhere there are commercial vessels, higher end radios have built in AIS- commercial vessels transmit their location that shows up on the screen of the radio so you know if you have a big commercial vessel coming up or bearing down on you. Nice feature too.

If you have a GPS already- the standard horizon GX2150 will tie into it and give you AIS. The new GX2200 has GPS built in.

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS. ... Archived=0

Now if you're just a fresh water boater, any old VHF will work- I think DSC is mandated by law on all new VHFs...

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
IBeGrady'd said:
About 2 seasons ago the mic cord sleeve started to deteriorate and I've been making do so far with electric tape repairs of now-exposed areas. Probably time for a new installation this season...replacement of the mic and cord not looking too plausible.

I'm not experienced in electrics/electronics. Any replacement recommendations/advice appreciated and is the installation of a new radio pretty much idiot-proof?

Thanks (and Happy 4th)

What brand radio is it? I know Std Horizon has a flat rate repair program (ICOM and others may, as well.) Get a new MIC for it (probably cheaper)...

J-Sea

Reaction score
I run twin Standard Horizon GX1700s with built in GPS with matching 8 foot antennas - great units as far as I'm concerned - I'm off-shore frequently and these work great. Believe these are approx $229 at west marine, which is a bit more than the non-built in GPS version, but it's nice not having to wire these into your existing navigation system and I'm all about redundancy - should your existing navigation cease working, you still have your GPS coordinates handy

IBeGrady'd

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the additional thoughts. I like that idea of redundancy and will probably go for the built-in GPS.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The GX1700....with built in GPS...is nice...BUT....it won't display DSC calls (or AIS for that matter if you upgrade to the 2150/2200) unless you connect it back to the GPS.

Pick up a terminal block for less than $5 in Radio Shack. It makes it easy to connect the tiny NMEA wires.

14589083946_b327e06ba4_c.jpg

zimm

Reaction score
That terminal block is a great idea. I can't tell you how difficult it was trying to twist those 22 gauge wires to find what arrangement would work with my setup, then trying to inline crimp connector them! Next time, terminal block!

IBeGrady'd

Reaction score
Parthery said:
The GX1700....with built in GPS...is nice...BUT....it won't display DSC calls (or AIS for that matter if you upgrade to the 2150/2200) unless you connect it back to the GPS.
Thanks for the continuing education...and I'm glad I brought up the subject.
Parthery said:
Pick up a terminal block for less than $5 in Radio Shack. It makes it easy to connect the tiny NMEA wires.
Do you think a velcro mount for the block would be ok? The thought of mounting screws pointed anywhere near the confines of the electronics compartment ( :noob ) gives me the shivers.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My terminal block is mounted to the back of the flush mount panel using 3M Outdoor Double Stick Tape. It's not going anywhere.

Or, you can use the stick on zip tie holders as shown in the pic securing the wiring. Run a zip tie through the screw hole. Either way it's firmly in place.

IBeGrady'd

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll be going with the GX1700 (and a current $30 rebate) :dance 10-4!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are going to wire it in with the terminal block, save yourself $50 and get the GX1600. It's the same radio minus the built in GPS. And once you connect the wires, it functions exactly like the 1700 with the built in GPS.

IBeGrady'd

Reaction score
Thanks...but I think I'd lose the redundancy, no? Problem 2, my Lowrance GPS appears to have some occasional signal reception problems.

zimm

Reaction score
You should go with the GPS one. Then it always has the coordinates on the display. Nice for guests. When I get new people on my boat- I give them a 30 second safety talk (locations of the fire extinguisher, first aid kit, flare kit) then mention the DSC button and show them where the GPS coordinates are on the radio in case they have to use the radio to call for help.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You do have redundancy with the 1700 in terms of two GPS units.

When you connect the GPS to the 1600, the display looks exactly like the display on the 1700. I get the same GPS coordinates, time, speed over ground, course over ground, etc...

Kudos to you Zimm for teaching your guests what to do in the event of an emergency.