New to Grady Whites: my 232 Gulfstream

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Just bought this 2007 a couple weeks ago. I have only had it out twice now and love it so far. Caught a good size Calico Bass on my first cast off the boat - that must be Good Luck!

Attachments

• 232 house.jpg
    232 house.jpg
    839.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 232 deck.jpg
    232 deck.jpg
    748.2 KB · Views: 2

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Beautiful boat, set up perfectly for SoCal fishing! Where do you launch from? I'm primarily use Oceanside.

Mark-C

Reaction score
What a great find for California, its so tough to find a Grady like that out here. I am wondering if you know yet whether the boat can plane on just one F150?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
What a great find for California, its so tough to find a Grady like that out here. I am wondering if you know yet whether the boat can plane on just one F150?
If she is propped right she shouldn't however I'm sure you can get her to plane with 150 if you used a smaller pitch prop. Even if you get her on the plane with two engines she won't stay on plane if you turn one off and tilt it up.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
No firsthand experience, but I have heard that trying to plane a twin engine boat with just one engine can overstrain it.

I had a Gulfstream with twin 200's and currently own a Marlin with twin 350's.

Under no circumstances would I attempt to plane either boat off with one engine. I would either idle back on one or call Sea Tow/TowBoat US.

Neat Gulfstream by the way. Mine was an '07 also.

Mark-C

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I have done it successfully on a 258 Journey from a dead standstill with the other F150 tilted up. The boat had no trouble and was able to go over 20 mph within a reasonable rpm (I can't remember the exact rpm). Only wondering for emergency situations but the 232 is an altogether different animal.

Reactions: magicalbill

wrxhoon

Reaction score
If you can plane on one engine it means your prop pitch is much smaller than it should be .
Magicalbill,
If I had tweens and one crapped itself, I''ll be more than happy to motor back to port with one. You probably won't be able to go over 10-12 knots at WOT and that will be killing your engine . I would probably settle at around 2000-2500 RPM at half throttle and around 6-8 knots. If I had a much smaller pitch prop with me and the means to change it ( calm water only) I would. I don't think anyone would bother because you can still get back at 6-8 knots.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
wrxhoon:

I would do the same. I put Sea Tow out there as an option, but idling back in on one would be the first choice.

Changing props while adrift is not in the cards for me. I would invariably drop a wrench, the prop itself, or the fastening nut and none of those items float.

Reactions: wrxhoon

wrxhoon

Reaction score
wrxhoon:

Changing props while adrift is not in the cards for me. I would invariably drop a wrench, the prop itself, or the fastening nut and none of those items float.
Ditto,
Many years ago I came back from about 10 kn miles offshore with a spun prop, I could rev it about 1500 before she was spinning. (200 hp Merc 2 stroke ). I had a kicker at the time but didn't bother with it. Another time I had to take the prop off because I got shark wire on the prop , she jammed between the prop and the housing , the prop wouldn't spin. I called marine rescue but in the meantime I managed to take the prop off (20 kn miles offshore, seas fairly calm). I didn't have to actually remove the prop, undone the nut and pull the prop about 1" ( had to hit it with a block of timber), pull the wire off and came back at 30 knts . All that in about 30 minutes . The only thing at risk was the prop nut but I put a big tub under it just in case .
I was a lot younger then and it didn't bother me to jump in the water to do it. Now?? I don't think so.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
hoon:

That's a great story; To be able to accomplish that while treading water is a feat!

Kietha;

The thread did go a little far afield; please don't take it in a bad way..one thing leads to another and all of a sudden we're planing boats off with one engine instead of discussing Gulfstreams. It happens sometimes.

As I mentioned earlier, you have a neat rig. Your '07 is the same year as the one I had. You'll discover that it's the "biggest" 23 footer out there and it's trailerable, although it's rather heavy as you've probably noticed.

To repeat, sorry for wandering off the track. You'll smile every time you take that boat out.

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
hoon:

That's a great story; To be able to accomplish that while treading water is a feat!

Kietha;

The thread did go a little far afield; please don't take it in a bad way..one thing leads to another and all of a sudden we're planing boats off with one engine instead of discussing Gulfstreams. It happens sometimes.

As I mentioned earlier, you have a neat rig. Your '07 is the same year as the one I had. You'll discover that it's the "biggest" 23 footer out there and it's trailerable, although it's rather heavy as you've probably noticed.

To repeat, sorry for wandering off the track. You'll smile every time you take that boat out.

...All good here. It's always fun to see where a conversation goes.

I still haven't had a ton of time on the boat, but I am slowly getting a feel for her. It takes a good number of hours in different conditions to really get to know a boat - how it trims, how it reacts to different seas, how it drifts, anchors, and behaves around the docks. Then there is a new electronics package and boat systems to learn. This honeymoon phase is a fun part of boating.

Reactions: magicalbill